ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance > Electrolyte Balance Pharmacology > Sodium acetate trihydrate
Sodium acetate trihydrate
Sodium acetate trihydrate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:58 °C
- Boiling point:>400°C
- Density 1,45 g/cm3
- Flash point:>250°C
- storage temp. Store at RT.
- solubility H2O: 3 M at 20 °C, clear, colorless
- form Solid
- color White tranparent
- OdorSlight acetic acid
- PH7.5-9.0 (25℃, 50mg/mL in H2O)
- PH Range8.5 - 10 at 408 g/l at 25 °C
- pka4.76 (acetic acid)(at 25℃)
- Water Solubility 762 g/L (20 ºC)
- λmaxλ: 260 nm Amax: ≤0.01
λ: 280 nm Amax: ≤0.01
- Merck 14,8571
- BRN 3732037
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, halogens.
- CAS DataBase Reference6131-90-4(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceSodium acetate trihydrate(6131-90-4)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemAcetic acid, sodium salt, trihydrate (6131-90-4)
Sodium acetate trihydrate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionSodium acetate trihydrate is the trihydrate sodium salt oaf acetic acid.
In the food industry, sodium acetate is used as an acidity regulator, emulsifier, and preservative. It can give potato chips a salt and vinegar flavor. In pharmaceutical industry, it is used for replenishing lost electrolytes, as a diuretic, and in reusable heating pads and hand warmers. Sodium acetate trihydrate can be used to neutralize the industrial mineral acids discharge. In the textile and synthetic rubber production, it is used to neutralize sulfuric acids, facilitate aniline dye take up, and protect aniline day. In the leather industry, it is used as a buffering agent for leather tanning. Furthermore, sodium acetate trihydrate is used as buffers in the production of cosmetics and petroleum products and in electroplating industry.
- Chemical Propertieswhite to colourless crystals or powder
- Chemical PropertiesAnhydrous salt is a colorless crystalline solid; density 1.528 g/cm3; melts at 324°C; very soluble in water; moderately soluble in ethanol. The colorless crystalline trihydrate has a density 1.45 g/cm3; decomposes at 58°C; is very soluble in water; pH of 0.1M aqueous solution is 8.9; moderately soluble in ethanol, 5.3 g/100mL.
- Chemical PropertiesSodium acetate occurs as colorless, transparent crystals or a granular crystalline powder with a slight acetic acid odor.
- UsesUsed as buffers.
- UsesSodium acetate is a mordant in dyeing. Other applications are in photography, as an additive to food, in purification of glucose, in preservation of meat, in tanning, and as a dehydrating agent. In analytical chemistry it is used to prepare buffer solution.
- PreparationSodium acetate is prepared by reacting sodium hydroxide or sodium carbonate with acetic acid in aqueous solution. The solution is evaporated to obtain hydrated crystals of sodium acetate.
NaOH + CH3COOH → CH3COONa + H2O
Na2CO3 + CH3COOH → 2CH3COONa + CO2 + H2O
- Production MethodsSodium acetate is prepared by neutralization of acetic acid with sodium carbonate.
- Pharmaceutical ApplicationsSodium acetate is used as part of a buffer system when combined with acetic acid in various intramuscular, intravenous, topical, ophthalmic, nasal, oral, otic, and subcutaneous formulations. It may be used to reduce the bitterness of oral pharmaceuticals. It can be used to enhance the antimicrobial properties of formulations; it has been shown to inhibit the growth of S. aureus and E. coli, but not C. albicans in protein hydrolysate solutions. It is widely used in the food industry as a preservative. Sodium acetate has also been used therapeutically for the treatment of metabolic acidosis in premature infants, and in hemodialysis solutions.
- SafetySodium acetate is widely used in cosmetics, foods, and pharmaceutical
formulations, and is generally regarded as a
nontoxic and nonirritant material.
A short-term feeding study in chickens with a diet supplemented with 5.44% sodium acetate showed reduced growth rates that were attributed to the sodium content.(9) Sodium acetate is poisonous if injected intravenously, is moderately toxic by ingestion, and is an irritant to the skin and eyes.
LD50 (rat, oral): 3.53 g/kg
LD50 (mouse, IV): 0.38 g/kg
LD50 (mouse, SC): 8.0 g/kg
- storageSodium acetate should be stored in airtight containers.
- IncompatibilitiesSodium acetate reacts with acidic and basic components. It will react violently with fluorine, potassium nitrate, and diketene.
- Regulatory StatusGRAS listed. Accepted as a food additive in Europe. Included in the FDA Inactive Ingredients Database (injections, nasal, otic, ophthalmic, and oral preparations).
- References http://www.europlat.org
Sodium acetate trihydrate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsSodium hydroxideAcetic acid glacialSodium carbonateActivated carbon
- Preparation Products1,2,3,4-TETRAHYDRO-9-ACRIDINAMINEISOXANTHOPTERINGardenia blue pigmentPigment Red 135-Ethyl-2-thiophenecarboxaldehyde2-Acetyl pyrrole5-[(1,3-DIOXO-1,3-DIHYDRO-2H-ISOINDOL-2-YL)METHYL]-2-FURALDEHYDE3-(2-FURYL)ISOXAZOL-5-AMINE5-METHYL-4-ISOXAZOLECARBONYL CHLORIDE2-AMINO-4-(4-CHLORO-PHENYL)-THIOPHENE-3-CARBOXYLIC ACID ETHYL ESTER6-AMINO-5-NITROSO-3-METHYLURACIL2,6-DithiopurineCefotaximeLEAD PHOSPHITE, DIBASIC3-Amino-5-phenylpyrazoleCoumarin 30Pigment Red 175CephalothinGeranyl acetate6-HYDROXY-7-METHOXYCOUMARINBISPYRAZOLONEVINYL STEARATEPigment Red 32Sodium diacetateo-Anisic acid8-METHOXYCOUMARIN6-METHOXYCOUMARINPALMITIC ACID VINYL ESTER3,3'-DihydroxybenzidineC. I. Pigment Red 258Pigment Yellow 65softener ISD-alpha-Tocopheryl acetateACID BLUE 92Pigment Yellow 83glyceryl ethercarboxylic acid salt4-Hydroxy-3-methoxystyrenePhenethyl acetate7-isopropyl-4-methyloxepan-2-oneRHODINYL ACETATE
- SODIUM ACETATE TRIHYDRATE (106265) SODIUM ACETATE TRIHYDRATE [705.1.7] SODIUM TRICHLOROACETATE SODIUM ACETATE (TRIHYDRATE) FOR HPLC ACETATE Sodium acetate POLY(VINYL ACETATE) Ammonium acetate Ethyl acetate Sodium bicarbonate Ethyl 2-(Chlorosulfonyl)acetate Acetic anhydride Phenylacetic acid Vinyl acetate Sodium dehydroacetate 8-CHLOROADENOSINE-3',5'-CYCLIC MONOPHOSPHOROTHIOATE, RP-ISOMER SODIUM SALT CELLULOSE ACETATE Diclofenac sodium
Sodium acetate trihydrateSupplierMore
- Company Name:Langfang Tianke Biological Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:150-7665-966 0316-5569331-
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Company Name:VWR(Shanghai) Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Jiangsu Kolod Food Ingredients Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18861332158 0518-85110930-
- Company Name:Aikon International Limited Gold
- Tel:18068836627 025-58859352-