POLY(VINYL ACETATE) Chemical Properties
- Melting point:60°C
- Boiling point:70-150 °C
- Density 1.18 g/mL at 25 °C
- refractive index n
- Flash point:>100℃
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility ketones, ethers and aromatic hydrocarbons: soluble
- form pellets
- color Clear
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong bases. Combustible.
- IARC3 (Vol. 19, Sup 7) 1987
- EPA Substance Registry SystemPolyvinyl acetate (9003-20-7)
POLY(VINYL ACETATE) Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiestransparent pellets or white powder
- Chemical PropertiesThe degree of polymerization of polyvinyl acetate typically is 100 to 5000. The ester groups of the polyvinyl acetate are sensitive to base hydrolysis and will slowly convert PVAc into polyvinyl alcohol and acetic acid.
Under alkaline conditions, boron compounds such as boric acid or borax cause the polymer to cross-link, forming tackifying precipitates or slime.
- HistoryPolyvinyl acetate was discovered in Germany in 1912 by Fritz Klatte.
The monomer, vinyl acetate, was first produced on an industrial scale by addition of acetic acid to acetylene with a mercury(I) salt but it is now primarily made by palladium catalyzed oxidative addition of acetic acid to ethylene.
- UsesAs an emulsion in water, aPVAc emulsions are used as adhesives for porous materials, particularly for wood, paper, and cloth, and as a consolidant for porous building stone, in particular sandstone . Uses :
As wood glue PVAc is known as "white glue" and the yellow "carpenter's glue" or PVA glue.
As paper adhesive during paper packaging converting
In bookbinding and book arts, due to its flexible strong bond and non-acidic nature (unlike many other polymers). The use of PVAC on the Archimedes Palimpsest during the 20th century greatly hindered the task of disbinding the book and preserving and imaging the pages in the early 21st century, in part because the glue was stronger than the parchment it held together.
The stiff homopolymer PVAc, but mostly the more soft copolymer a combination of vinyl acetate and ethylene, vinyl acetate ethylene (VAE), is used also in paper coatings, paint and other industrial coatings, as binder in nonwovens in glass fibers. sanitary napkins, filter paper and in textile finishing
PVAc can also be used as coating to protect cheese from fungi and humidity.
Polyvinyl acetate is also the raw material to make other polymers like : Polyvinyl alcohol -[HOCHCH2]-: Polyvinyl acetate is partially or completely hydrolysed to give polyvinyl alcohol. This reversible saponification and esterification reaction was a strong hint for Hermann Staudinger in the formulation of his theory of macro molecules.
Polyvinyl acetate phthalate (PVAP): Polyvinyl acetate is partially hydrolyzed and then esterified with phthalic acid.
- Usesdrug delivery, hemodynamics, wound dressing, coatings
- DefinitionChEBI: A polymer composed of repeating acetoxyethylene units.
- PreparationPVAc is a vinyl polymer. Polyvinyl acetate is prepared by polymerization of vinyl acetate monomer (free radical vinyl polymerization of the monomer vinyl acetate).
- Production MethodsPolyvinyl acetate is derived from the polymerization of vinyl acetate; the catalysts used in polymerization may include hydrogen peroxide, peroxy sulfates, or various redox combinations. The polymerization process is described as being carried out by charging all ingredients to the reactor, heating to reflux, and stirring until the reaction is complete. Typically, only a part of the monomer and catalyst is initially charged; the remainder is added during the course of the reaction.
- HazardQuestionable carcinogen.
- Industrial usesPolyvinyl acetate is a leathery, colorless thermoplasticmaterial that softens at relatively lowtemperatures and that is relatively stable to lightand oxygen. The polymers are clear and noncrystalline.The chief applications of polyvinylacetate are as adhesives and binders for waterbasedor emulsion paints.
Vinyl acetate is conveniently prepared bythe reaction of acetylene with acetic acid.
- Safety ProfileVery low toxicity by ingestion. Questionable carcinogen. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also ESTERS
- Purification MethodsPrecipitate it from acetone by addition of n-hexane.
POLY(VINYL ACETATE) Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Ethyl 2-(Chlorosulfonyl)acetate DOW CORNING FS CHEMICALLY INERT FLUID SILICONE OIL Olibanum oil N/A Ethephon Cyclosilazanes, di-Me,Me hydrogen, polymers with di-Me, Me hydrogen silazanes, reaction products with3-(triethoxysilyl)-1-propanamine Vinyl acetate Poly(vinyl acetate-2-ethylhexyl acrylate) Reaction products of: poly(vinyl acetate), partially hydrolyzed, with (E)-2-(4-formylstyryl)-3,4-dimethylthiazoliummethyl sulfate low VOC polyvinyl acetate emulsion paint PVAC-VAE complex emulsion adhesive Pour point depressant T804 antistatic polyvinylacetate alcohol-soluble resin poly(vinyl acetate-maleic anhydride) Poly(vinyl acetate-co-butyl maleate-co-isobornyl acrylate) solution,POLY(VINYL ACETATE-CO-BUTYL MALEATE-CO-I SOBORNYL ACRYLATE), 50 WT% SOLN ETOH,poly(vinyl acetate-co-butyl maleate-co-isobornyl,POLY(VINYL ACETATE-CO-BUTYL MALEATE-CO-ISOBORNYL ACRYLATE) Poly(vinyl acetate) dispersion 30 per cent POLY(VINYL ACETATE-CO-CROTONIC ACID)
- Company Name:Hunan chemfish Scientific co.,ltd Gold
- Tel:17773132550 0731-85567275-
- Company Name:Hubei Qifei Pharmaceutical Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:18071128681 027-59322506-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Oct 14，2019