ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Biochemical Engineering > Saccharides > Polysaccharide > CELLULOSE ACETATE
CELLULOSE ACETATE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:230-300℃
- Boiling point:210 °C
- Density 1.3 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- refractive index n
- solubility The solubility of cellulose acetate is greatly influenced by the level of acetyl groups present. In general, cellulose acetates are soluble in acetone–water blends of varying ratios, dichloromethane– ethanol blends, dimethyl formamide, and dioxane.
- form Powder
- Specific Gravity1.3
- color White
- Merck 13,1978
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- EPA Substance Registry SystemCellulose acetate (9004-35-7)
- WGK Germany -
- HS Code 39121100
CELLULOSE ACETATE Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesCellulose acetate, white powder, is the general name for the acetic acid esters of cellulose, cellulose pentaacetate, C6H5(OOCCH3)5, cellulose tetraacetate, C6H6(OOCCH3)4 and cellulose triacetate,C6H7O2(OOCCH3)3. Cellulose acetate is a tough, flexible, slow-burning and long-lasting material used in the production of plastic film for food packaging,magnetic tape, and movie film.
- Chemical PropertiesCellulose acetate occurs as a hygroscopic white to off-white, freeflowing powder, pellet, or flake. It is tasteless and odorless, or may have a slight odor of acetic acid.
- UsesCoatings Coatings for glass Coatings for paper/paperboard Consumer electronics Electrical Food packaging Food-contact applications Pressure sensitive tape Wood sealers
- Production MethodsCellulose acetate is prepared from highly purified cellulose by treatment with acid catalysis and acetic anhydride.
- Agricultural UsesCellulose acetate is an ester in which cellulose (cotton linters or wood pulp) is treated with a mixture of acetic anhydride, acetic acid and concentrated sulphuric acid. This solution, when treated with water, forms a flocculent white mass of cellulose acetate which is used as a fiber and in lacquers, non-breakable glass and varnishes.
- Pharmaceutical ApplicationsCellulose acetate is widely used in pharmaceutical formulations
both in sustained-release applications and for taste masking.
Cellulose acetate is used as a semipermeable coating on tablets, especially on osmotic pump-type tablets and implants. This allows for controlled, extended release of actives. Cellulose acetate films, in conjunction with other materials, also offer sustained release without the necessity of drilling a hole in the coating as is typical with osmotic pump systems. Cellulose acetate and other cellulose esters have also been used to form drug-loaded microparticles with controlled-release characteristics.
Cellulose acetate films are used in transdermal drug delivery systems and also as film coatings on tablets or granules for taste masking. For example, acetaminophen granules have been coated with a cellulose acetate-based coating before being processed to provide chewable tablets. Extended-release tablets can also be formulated with cellulose acetate as a directly compressible matrix former. The release profile can be modified by changing the ratio of active to cellulose acetate and by incorporation of plasticizer, but was shown to be insensitive to cellulose acetate molecular weight and particle size distribution.
Therapeutically, cellulose acetate has been used to treat cerebral aneurysms, and also for spinal perimedullary arteriovenous fistulas.
- Industrial usesCellulose acetate is an amber-colored, transparentmaterial made by the reaction of celluloseand acetic acid or acetic anhydride in the presenceof sulfuric acid.
It is thermoplastic and easily molded. Themolded parts or sheets are tough, easilymachined, and resistant to oils and many chemicals.In coatings and lacquers the material isadhesive, tough, and resilient, and does not discoloreasily. Cellulose acetate fiber for rayonscan be made in fine filaments that are strongand flexible, nonflammable, mildew proof, andeasily dyed. Standard cellulose acetate formolding is marketed in flake form.
In practical use, cellulose acetate moldingsexhibit toughness superior to most other general-purpose plastics. Flame-resistant formulationsare currently specified for small appliancehousings and for other uses requiring this property.Uses for cellulose acetate molding materialsinclude toys, buttons, knobs, and otherparts where the combination of toughness andclear transparency is a requirement.
- SafetyCellulose acetate is widely used in oral pharmaceutical products and is generally regarded as a nontoxic and nonirritant material.
- storageCellulose acetate is stable if stored in a well-closed container in a cool, dry place. Cellulose acetate hydrolyzes slowly under prolonged adverse conditions such as high temperature and humidity, with a resultant increase in free acid content and odor of acetic acid.
- IncompatibilitiesCellulose acetate is incompatible with strongly acidic or alkaline substances. Cellulose acetate is compatible with the following plasticizers: diethyl phthalate, polyethylene glycol, triacetin, and triethyl citrate.
- Regulatory StatusIncluded in the FDA Inactive Ingredients Database (oral tablets). Included in the Canadian List of Acceptable Non-medicinal Ingredients.
CELLULOSE ACETATE Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsAcetic anhydride
- Cellulose acetate membrane CELLULOSE ACETATE PROPIONATE Whatman(R) syringe filter units, disposable, cellulose acetate cellulose acetate esterase Cellulose Acetate Plastics Cellulose acetate butanoate: (Celvacene),CELLULOSE ACETATE BUTYRATE,CELLULOSE ACETATE BUTYRATE POLYMER,CELLULOSE ACETATE BUTYRATE, PHARMA,Cellulose Acetate Butanoate, mittlere Molmasse 16000 - 65000 g/mol,Cellulose acetate butyrate, butyryl content 35-39%,Cellulose acetate butyrate, butyryl content 36-40%,Cellulose acetate butyrate, butyryl content 16.5-19.0%,Cellulose acetate butyrate, butyryl content 44-48%,Cellulose acetate butyrate, butyryl content 50-54%,CELLULOSE ACETATE BUTYRATE, 37 WT. CELLULOSE ACETATE TRIMELLITATE,CELLULOSE ACETATE SAC 20,CELLULOSE ACETATE Cellulose acetate textile fibers Includes cellulose acetate butyrate and cellulose triacetate resins Cellulose acetate cigarette filter tow,Cellulose acetate staple fiber cellulore Cellulose, acetate butanoate, carboxymethyl ether Blotting-Cellulose acetate membranes,Cellulose acetate membranes CELLULOSE TRIACETATE (ACRYLAMIDOMETHYL)CELLULOSE ACETATE PROPIONATE CELLULOSE ACETATE PHTHALATE,Cellulose acetate hydrogen 1,2-benzenedicarboxylate,CELLULOSE ACETATE HYDROGEN PHTHALATE,CELLULOSE ACETATE PHTHALATE extrapure,Cellulose acetate hydrogen phthalate, acetyl content 17.0-22.0% CELLULOSE ACETATE, ERGOTAMINE TARTRATE& CAFFEINE ANHYDROUS CELLULOSE ACETATE PROPIONATE CARBOXYLATE
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted
- Tel:18600197062 0757-86311057-
- Company Name:Shanghai Hanhong Scientific Co.,Ltd.
- Company Name:Chengdu XiYa Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.