Cephalothin Chemical Properties
- Melting point:240°C
- alpha D +135° (c = 1.0 in water)
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility H2O: 50 mg/mL, clear, faintly yellow
- form neat
- Water Solubility 158 mg/L
- Merck 13,1994
- BRN 4120706
- CAS DataBase Reference58-71-9(CAS DataBase Reference)
- Language:EnglishProvider:7-(Thiophene-2-acetamido)cephalosporanic acid sodium salt
Cephalothin Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesCrystalline
- UsesAntibacterial;Bacterial transpeptidase inhibitor
- UsesCephalothin is a first-generation cephalosporin antibiotic used to study the mechanism of liposome encapsulated antibiotics,strategies for co-opting β-lactamases of Gram-negative bacteria for treatment of antibiotics,and for immunology studies in relation to antibiotics.It is used to study the effect of expression, binding and inhibition of penicillin-binding proteins especially PBP6 on bacterial cell wall mucopeptide synthesis.
- Manufacturing Process7-(2'-Thienylacetamido)cephalosporanic acid sodium salt may be produced from 2-thienylacetyl chloride, obtainable by treatment of 2-thienylacetic acid [Ernst, Berichte, 19 (1886) 3281] with thionyl chloride in a conventional manner. The 2-thienylacetyl chloride is then reacted with 7- aminocephalosporanic acid and then converted to the sodium salt using sodium hydroxide.
- brand nameKeflin (Lilly); Seffin (GlaxoSmithKline).
- Therapeutic FunctionAntibacterial
- Clinical UseCephalothin sodium (Keflin) occurs as a white to off-white,crystalline powder that is practically odorless. It is freelysoluble in water and insoluble in most organic solvents.Although it has been described as a broad-spectrum antibacterialcompound, it is not in the same class as the tetracyclines.Its spectrum of activity is broader than that ofpenicillin G and more similar to that of ampicillin. Unlikeampicillin, cephalothin is resistant to penicillinase producedby S. aureus and provides an alternative to the use ofpenicillinase-resistant penicillins for the treatment of infectionscaused by such strains.
Cephalothin is absorbed poorly from the GI tract andmust be administered parenterally for systemic infections. It is relatively nontoxic and acid stable. It is excreted rapidlythrough the kidneys; about 60% is lost within 6 hours of administration.Pain at the site of intramuscular injection andthrombophlebitis following intravenous injection have beenreported. Hypersensitivity reactions have been observed,and there is some evidence of cross-sensitivity in patientsnoted previously to be penicillin sensitive.
Cephalothin Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsCefuroxime
- Raw materialsSodium acetate trihydrateButyl acetate7-Aminocephalosporanic acid7-(5-amino-5-carboxyvaleramido)cephalosporanic acid
- Cefotaxime sodium Ceftriaxone sodium (6R,7R)-3-(Acetoxymethyl)-8-oxo-7-(2-(thiophen-2-yl)acetamido)-5-thia-1-aza-bicyclo[4.2.0]oct-2-ene-2-carboxylic acid 7-Aminocephalosporanic acid METHYL-(2-THIOPHEN-2-YL-ETHYL)-AMINE 7-AMCA 2-Acetamidoacrylic acid Methallyl acetate 2-Thiophenemethylamine METHALLYL MERCAPTAN 2-(METHYLTHIO)METHYL-2-BUTENOL sodium Thifensulfuron methyl Trisodium phosphate Tetrahydrothiophene Sodium chloride Sodium citrate Sodium alginate
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted
- Tel:18600197062 0757-86329057-
- Company Name:Chengdu XiYa Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:Sinopharm Chemical Reagent Co,Ltd.
- Company Name:Wuhan Fortuna Chemical Co., Ltd
- Tel:13308628970 027-59207852-