Tartrazine Chemical Properties
- Melting point:300 °C
- storage temp. -20°C
- form Powder
- Colour Index 19140
- color Orange
- Water Solubility 260 g/L (30 ºC)
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,9072
- BRN 69850
- Stability:Stable. Hygroscopic. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- Biological ApplicationsTreating hepatitis,periodontal disease,psoriasis
- EPA Substance Registry SystemTartrazine (1934-21-0)
Tartrazine Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionFD & C Yellow No. 5 is principally the trisodium salt of 4,5-dihydro-5-oxo-l-(4-sulfophenyl)-4-[4-sulfophenyl-azo]-lH- pyrazole-3-carboxylic acid.
The colorant is a yellow-orange powder that dissolves in water to give a solution golden yellow at neutrality and in acid. When dissolved in concentrated sulfuric acid, it yields an orange-yellow solution that turns yellow when diluted with water.
FD & C Yellow No. 5 is regularly used in desserts (e.g., dessert powders, puddings, custards, gelatin, ice cream), candy, preserves, beverages (including carbonated soda beverages and flavored drink powders), prepared meats, and canned and frozen vegetables. It is also used in pharmaceuticals and cosmetics.1 .
- Chemical PropertiesDeep yellow powder
- UsesAs a dye for wool and silks; as colorant in food, drugs, and cosmetics. In biochemistry as an adsorption-elution indicator for chloride estimations. Tartrazine (otherwise known as E number E102, C.I. 19140, or FD&C Yellow 5) is a synthetic lemon yellow azo dye used as a food coloring. Tartrazine appears to cause the most allergic and intolerance reactions of all the azo dyes, particularly among as thmatics and those with an aspirin intolerance.
- UsesAs a dye for wool and silks; as colorant in food, drugs and cosmetics. In biochemistry as an adsorption-elution indicator for chloride estimations.
- UsesTartrazine (FD&C Yellow #5) is a colorant. It has good stability to changes in ph, showing no appreciable change at ph 3–8. It has excellent solubility in water with a solubility of 20 g in 100 ml at 25°c. It has good stability to light and heat, fair stability to oxidation, and shows no appreciable change in 10% sugar systems. It has a lemon-yellow hue and has good tinctorial strength. It has moderate compatibility with food components and is used in beverages, baked goods, pet foods, desserts, candy, confections, cereal, and ice cream.
- Definitiontartrazine: A food additive (E102)that gives foods a yellow colour. Tartrazinecan cause a toxic response inthe immune system and is banned insome countries.
- DefinitionChEBI: An organic sodium salt which is the trisodium salt of tartrazine acid. A synthetic lemon yellow azo dye used as a food colouring.
- brand name1 yellow 1409 yellow;A.f. yellow no.4;Acid leather yellow t;Acilan yellow gg;Airedale yellow t;Aizen tartrazine;Amacid yellow t-ex;Atul tatrazine;Ayellow t;Biovital;C.i. 19140;C.i. acid yellow 23;C.i. food yellow 4;Calcocid yellow mcg;Calcocid yellow xx;Cancert tartrazine;Certecol tartrazol yellow s;Cilefa yellow t;Curon;Dolkwal tartrazine;Edicol supra tartrazine n;Egg yellow a;Erio tartrazine;Eurocert tartrazine;Fast yellow 5g;Fd and c yellow no. 5;Fenazo yellow t 4;Food yellow no. 4;Galinid;Hd tartrazine supra;Hexacert yellow no 5;Hexacol tartrazine;Hispacid fast yellow t;Hydroxine yellow l;Japan yellow no. 4;Jaun tartrique;Kako tartrazine;Kayaku food colour yellow no. 4;Kayaku tartrazine;Kca foodcol tartrazine pf;Kca tartrazine pf;L yellow z 1020;Lemon yellow a geigy;Maple tartrazol yellow;Mitsui tartrazine;Naphtocard yelow o;Neklacid yellow t;Oxanal yellow t;San ei tartrazine;Sugai tartrazine;Tartar yellow fs;Tartar yellow n;Tartar yellow pf;Tartar yellow s;Tartran yellow;Tartrayellow;Tartrazine a export;Tartrazine b.p.c.;Tartrazine extra pure a;Tartrazine fq;Tartrazine g;Tartrazine lake yellow n;Tartrazine mcgl;Tartrazine ns;Tartrazine t;Tartrazine xx especially pure;Tartrazine xxx;Tartrazine yellow;Tartrazol bpc;Tartrine yellow o;Unitertracid yellow te;Usacert yellow no 5;Vondacid tartrazine;Xylene fast yellow gt;Yellow lake 69.
- World Health Organization (WHO)Tartrazine is widely used as a permitted colouring agent in food and pharmaceutical preparations. Its use has been associated with allergic reactions some of which have been severe. Several national drug regulatory authorities now require a warning on labels of products containing tartrazine and some manufacturers have voluntarily withdrawn this compound from their products.
- HazardAn allergen.
- Safety ProfileLow toxicity by ingestion. Mutation data reported. When heated to decomposition it emits very toxic fumes of NOx, SOx, and Na2O.
- ToxicologyThis coloring agent is 5-hydroxy-1-p-sulfophenyl-4-(p-sulfophenylazo)- pyrazol-3-carboxylic acid, trisodium salt. It is a yellow powder and has been used as food coloring additive since 1916. Tartrazine is known as the least toxic coloring agent among synthetic coloring chemicals. The median acute oral lethal dose of tartrazine in mice is 12.17 g/kg. Beagle dogs received tartrazine as 2% of the diet for two years without adverse effects, with the possible exception of pyloric gastritis in one dog. Tumor incidence was unchanged relative to controls, in rats receiving tartrazine at 1.5% of the diet for 64 weeks, and in rats administered this dye at 5.0% of the diet for two years.
Human sensitivity to tartrazine has been reported with some frequency and has been estimated to occur in 1/10,000 persons. Anaphylactic shock, potentially life-threatening, has been reported but symptoms more commonly cited are urticaria (hives), asthma, and purpura (blue or purple spots on the skin or mucous membrane).
Tartrazine Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsVarious color alkyd primerVarious color amino baking enamel A04-9Food Yellow 4:1Edible synthetic dye milk chocolate brown
- Raw materialsNitric acidSodium carbonateSodium chlorideWaterSodium dichromate dihydrateAluminium sulfateSulfanilic acidCongo red paperD(-)-Tartaric acidLead dinitrateLeadSODIUM DICHROMATEDisodium hydrogenorthophosphate4-Amino-benzenesulfonic acid monosodium saltBasic Orange 2COBALT(III) OXIDE BLACKSodium phosphite4-Hydrazinobenzenesulfonic acidSodium chromate tetrahydrateSodium chromateSODIUM DIHYDROXYTARTRATE5-pyrrazolonePhenolphthaleinSODIUM SULFITE HEPTAHYDRATE
- Sodium N-cyclohexylsulfamate Taurine Phenylacetone Quinoline Yellow Tartrazine p-Toluenesulfonic acid Sodium citrate 2,2'-Azobis(2-methylpropionitrile) 4,5-dihydro-5-oxo-1-(4-sulphophenyl)-4-[(4-sulphophenyl)azo]-1H-pyrazole-3-carboxylic acid 4-Hydrazinobenzenesulfonic acid 4-ACETAMIDOBENZENESULFINIC ACID SODIUM SALT 4,5-Dihydro-5-oxo-1H-pyrazole-3-carboxylic acid 4-Hydrazinobenzenesulfonic acid hemihydrate Sodium 5-oxo-1-(4-sulfophenyl)-4H-pyrazole-3-carboxylate 5-Oxo-1-phenyl-2-pyrazolin-3-carboxylic acid 1-(4'-Sulfophenyl)-3-carboxy-5-pyrazolone aquashade 3-Methyl-1-(4-sulfophenyl)-2-pyrazolin-5-one
- Company Name:-Shuanghong Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar