ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Carboxylic acids and derivatives > Carboxylic acid derivatives > p-Toluenesulfonic acid
Basic information Overview Refer to quality standards Chemical properties Uses Production method Hazards & Safety Information Safety Related Supplier
- Product Name:p-Toluenesulfonic acid
- Synonyms: Tenofovirdisoproxil Impurity 41 P-TOLUENESULFONIC ACID PTS ACID P-TOLUENE SULPHONIC ACID TSA-65IP TSA-65M TSA-65W TSA-95
- Product Categories: curing agent - FINE Chemical & INTERMEDIATES Organics
- Mol File:104-15-4.mol
p-Toluenesulfonic acid Chemical Properties
- Melting point:106~107℃
- Boiling point:116 °C
- Density 1.07
- refractive index 1.3825-1.3845
- Flash point:41 °C
- storage temp. Flammables area
- form Solution
- color Clear colorless to light yellow
- Water Solubility soluble
- CAS DataBase Reference104-15-4(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceP-toluene sulfonic acid(104-15-4)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemBenzenesulfonic acid, 4-methyl-(104-15-4)
p-Toluenesulfonic acid Usage And Synthesis
- Overviewp-toluene sulfonic acid (Its molecular structural formula is p-CH3C6H4SO3H, also known as TsOH, English name is p-toluene sulfonic acid) referred to as PTS, is a non-oxidizing organic acid, white needle or powder crystals, soluble in water, alcohols, ethers and other polar solvents. Easy deliquescence, easy to make wood, cotton fabric dehydration and carbonization, insoluble in benzene and toluene. generating p-cresol when alkali fusion. Commonly, p-toluenesulfonic acid-monohydrate (TsOHH2O) or tetrahydrate (TsOH4H2O) is preferred.
Preparation of methyl p-cresol acid in industry is by using concentrated sulfuric acid on the toluene sulfonation of p-toluenesulfonic acid. The preparated p-toluenesulfonic acid often contains benzene sulfonic acid and sulfuric acid impurities, can be purified in recrystallization of concentrated hydrochloric acid, azeotropic drying.
p-toluene sulfonic acid is widely used as catalyst agent in the synthesis of pharmaceuticals, pesticides, polymerization stabilizer and organic synthesis (esters, etc.), paint intermediates and resin curing agent. And it is also the commonly used acid catalyst in organic synthesis. It is neutralized with sodium hydroxide and then obtains sodium p-toluene sulfonate, and react with phosphorus pentachloride, can obtains p-toluenesulfonyl chloride. The latter used in the nucleophilic substitution reaction, also used as alcohol hydroxyl protective group. p-CH3C6H4SO3Na + PCl5 →p-CH3C6H4SO2Cl.
The use of p-toluenesulfonic acid also catalyzes the protection of dihydrofuran on the alcohol, carboxylic acid esterification, transesterification reaction, making the aldehyde generate acetal.
- Refer to quality standardsItem/Index Industrial Grade Pharmaceutical Grade Refined Grade Reagent Grade (Chemically Pure)
Content (as C7H8O3S • H2O)% ≥ 90-93.0 96.0 97.0 98.0
Free acid (H2SO4) ≤% 3.0 0.7 0.5 0.1
Moisture (excluding crystal water) ≤% 4.0 3.5 2.5 1.5
Iron (in Fe ++) ≤ ppm 50 30 30 10
Ignition residue ≤%/0.2 0.2 0.02
Melting point (°C)// 102-105
Ethanol dissolved test/qualified qualified qualified
Water dissolution test/qualified qualified qualified
- Chemical propertiesColorless monoclinic sheet or columnar crystals. Soluble in ethanol and ether, slightly soluble in water and hot benzene.
- Uses(1) For chemical reagents, but also for dyes, organic synthesis.
(2) Used as the intermediates of medicine (such as doxycycline), pesticides (such as dicofol), dyes. Also used in detergents, plastics, coatings and so on.
(3) For medicine, pesticides, dyes and detergents, but also for plastics and printing coatings.
(4) Widely used in the catalyst synthetic medicine, pesticides, polymerization of the stabilizer and organic synthesis (esters, etc.). Also used as medicine, paint intermediates and resin curing agent.
- Production methodBy p-toluenesulfonyl chloride hydrolysis derived. Toluene can also be used as raw materials, sulfonated by sulfuric acid derived.
- Hazards & Safety InformationCategory:Corrosive articles
Toxicity classification:Low toxicity
Oral-rat LD50: 2480 mg/kg
Flammability hazard characteristics
Combustible; fire in the release of toxic sulfur dioxide gas
Storage and transportation characteristics
Storehouse is ventilates, low temperature and dry; Store with base separately
Mist water, carbon dioxide, foam
- Descriptionp-Toluene sulfonic acid (PTSA) or tosylic acid (TsOH) is an organic compound with the formula CH3C6H4SO3H. It is a white solid that is soluble in water, alcohols, and other polar organic solvents. The 4-CH3C6H4SO2- group is known as tosyl group and is often abbreviated as Ts or Tos. Most often, TsOH refers to the monohydrate, TsOH.H2O.
TsOH is a strong organic acid, about a million times stronger than benzoic acid. It is one of the few strong acids that is solid and, hence, conveniently weighed. Also, unlike some strong mineral acids (especially nitric acid, sulfuric acid, and per chloric acid), TsOH is non - oxidizing.
- Chemical PropertiesClear colorless to light yellow solution
- DefinitionChEBI: An arenesulfonic acid that is benzenesulfonic acid in which the hydrogen at position 4 is replaced by a methyl group.
- Reactionsp-Toluene sulfonic acid may be converted to p-toluene sulfonic anhydride by heating with phosphorus pentoxide.
When TsOH is heated with acid and water, a hydrolysis reaction takes place and toluene is formed:
CH3C6H4SO3H + H2O → C6H5CH3 + H2SO4
This reaction is general for aryl sulfonic acids, but the rate at which it occurs depends upon the structure of the acid, the temperature and the nature of the catalyzing acid. For example p- TsOH is unaffected by cold concentrated hydrochloric acid, but hydrolyzes when heated to 186°C in concentrated phosphoric acid.
- Preparation and handlingTsOH is prepared on an industrial scale by the sulfonation of toluene. It hydrates readily. Common impurities include benzene sulfonic acid and sulfuric acid. Impurities can be removed by recrystallization from its concentrated aqueous solution followed by azeotropic drying with toluene.
Toluene sulfonic acid finds use in organic synthesis as an "organic - soluble" acid catalyst. Examples of uses :
Acetalization of an aldehyde.
Esterification of carboxylic acids.
Trans esterification of an ester.
- Tosylate estersTosylate esters are used as alkylating agents because the tosyl group is electron-with drawing, which makes the tosylate anion a good leaving group. The tosyl group is also a protecting group for alcohols and amines, prepared by combining the alcohol with 4- toluenesulfonyl chloride, usually in an aprotic solvent, often pyridine, the basicity of which activates the reaction. Toluenesulfonate esters undergo nucleophilic attack or elimination. Reduction of tosylate esters gives the hydrocarbon. Thus, tosylation followed by reduction allows for the deoxygenation of alcohols.
p-Toluenesulfonic acid Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsCleaning agent for tablewareFlocoumafen2-(Dimethylamino)ethyl (4-chlorphenoxy)acetate(5-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)-1-METHYL-1H-PYRAZOL-4-YL)METHANOL4-(4-BROMOPHENYL)-1,2,3-THIADIAZOLELevelling agent GS5-METHYL-4-ISOXAZOLESULFONYL CHLORIDE5-HYDROXY-NICOTINIC ACID ETHYL ESTER1,2,3,4-TETRAMETHYL-1,3-CYCLOPENTADIENEfinishing agent for wool baylan W-G3Butyl propionate1,10-DecanediolExemestane2-Amino-5-chloro-4-methylbenzenesulfonic acidMethyl 5-hydroxynicotinateCation hydroxy silicone oil emulsionEthyl 2-(2-aminothiazole-4-yl)-2-hydroxyiminoacetate3-NITROBENZO[B]FURAN-5-OLETHYL 2-PHENYL-3-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)PYRAZOLE-4-CARBOXYLATE1-PHENYL-5-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)-1H-PYRAZOLE-4-CARBOXYLIC ACIDDIALLYL MALEATEETHYL 1-(TERT-BUTYL)-5-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)-1H-PYRAZOLE-4-CARBOXYLATEestra-1,3,5(10),16-tetraene-3,17-diol diacetate alkyl polyglucoside2-hydroxy-4-methylbenzenesulphonic acid 5-TERT-BUTYL-1H-INDOLE-2-CARBOXYLIC ACID ETHYL ESTER4-Hydroxybutyl acrylatesurfactant ASMSDoxofyllineButyl hexanoateSpiraprilFEMA 2080FEMA 2079ANECORTAVE ACETATE (200 MG)F0E2980.997MG/MG(AI)PENTYL HEXANOATE1-(1-PIPERIDINO)CYCLOHEXENEALLYL PROPIONATECaproic acid propyl esterISOPROPYL BUTYRATEISOPROPYL PROPIONATE
- Raw materialsMethanolSulfuric acid TolueneTosyl chloride
- ACID ORANGE 63 ACID YELLOW 40 ACID BLUE 41 ACID RED 114 (-)-1,4-DI-O-TOSYL-2,3-O-ISOPROPYLIDENETHREITOL ACID BLUE 80 REACTIVE BLACK 5 2-MESITYLENESULFONYL CHLORIDE AURORA KA-6210 ANTHRAQUINONE-2,6-DISULFONIC ACID DISODIUM SALT Sodium anthraquinone-2-sulfonate Methyl p-toluenesulfonate Ascoric Acid Folic acid p-Toluenesulfonic acid Ethyl 2-(Chlorosulfonyl)acetate Citric acid Stearic acid
- Company Name:Nanjing Datang Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Products Intro:Product Name:TL65;TL65LS;PARATOLUENE SULPHONIC ACID;P-TOLUENESULFONIC ACID;PTS ACID;P-TOLUENE SULPHONIC ACID;TSA-65IP;TSA-65M
- Company Name:SHANGHAI BANGCHENG CHEMICAL Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Products Intro:CAS:104-15-4
- Company Name:Shanghai XiZhi Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Products Intro:CAS:104-15-4
- Company Name:Shandong Ono Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:0539-6362799（To 20）
- Products Intro:CAS:104-15-4
- Company Name:Jinan Renyuan Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Products Intro:Product Name:PTS