ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal Sulphides and sulphates > Ferrous sulfate heptahydrate
Ferrous sulfate heptahydrate
Basic information Solubility in water (g/100mL) Chemical properties Applications Preparation Category Toxicity Grading Acute Toxicity Flammability Hazardous Characteristics Storage and Transport Extinguishing Agent Safety Related Supplier
Ferrous sulfate heptahydrate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:64 °C
- Density 1.897 g/mL at 25 °C
- vapor pressure 14.6 mm Hg ( 25 °C)
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility 25.6 g/100 mL (20°C)
- form Solution
- color Slightly greenish to blue
- Specific Gravity1.898
- PH3.0-4.0 (25℃, 50mg/mL in H2O)
- Water Solubility 25.6 g/100 mL (20 ºC)
- Sensitive Air Sensitive & Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,4057
- Stability:Stable. Substances to be avoided include strong oxidizing agents. Air and moisture sensitive.
- CAS DataBase Reference7782-63-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemFerrous sulfate heptahydrate (7782-63-0)
Ferrous sulfate heptahydrate Usage And Synthesis
- Solubility in water (g/100mL)Dissolved grams in 100 mL water at different temperatures (°C):
- Chemical propertiesBlue-green crystals (monoclinic system) or granules, odorless. Soluble in water, slightly soluble in alcohol, soluble in anhydrous methanol.
- ApplicationsAs analytical reagent; as raw material for ferrite; raw material to produce magnetic iron oxide, iron(III) oxide and iron blue inorganic pigment, iron catalyst and poly iron sulfate; as chromatographic reagent. In agriculture, it is used as pesticide in agriculture to control wheat smut, scab of apple and bear, fruit tree decay; as fertilizer to remove moss and lichen of food trunk. Medically it is used as local astringent, blood tonic and anti-anemia. Ferrous sulfate heptahydrate (feed grade) can be used as the iron fortifier for feed additive. Ferrous sulfate heptahydrate (food grade) is used as nutrition supplements, such as iron fortifier, coloring agent for fruit and vegetable. According to Chinese regulation, it can be used in following foods and with allowed amounts:
Sweets with filling and salt: 3000~6000 mg/kg;
Cereals with high iron content and corresponding products (maximum daily consumption 50g): 860~960 mg/kg;
Dairy and infant foods: 300-500 mg/kg;
Cereals and corresponding products: 120~140 mg/kg;
Beverages: 50~100 mg/kg. It is used to produce iron salt, iron oxide pigment, mordant, water purifier, preservatives, disinfectant, etc.
- By-product Method: byproduct of titanium dioxide production:
- Sulfuric acid method
- CategoryToxic substance
- Toxicity GradingMiddle toxic
- Acute Toxicity Oral-rat LD50: 1389 mg/kg; oral-mouse LD50: 1520 mg/kg.
- Flammability Hazardous CharacteristicsNot flammable, change into ferric oxide smoke at high temperature.
- Storage and TransportStored in well-ventilated area, low temperature and dry.
- Extinguishing AgentWater, carbon dioxide, dry powder, sand.
- Description§184.1315(a) Ferrous sulfate heptahydrate (iron (II) sulfate heptahydrate, FeS04-7H2O) is prepared by the action of sulfuric acid on iron. It occurs as pale, blueish-green crystals or granules. Progressive heating of ferrous sulfate heptahydrate produces ferrous sulfate (dried). Ferrous sulfate (dried) consists primarily of ferrous sulfate monohydrate (CAS No. 17375-41-6) with varying amounts of ferrous sulfate tetrahydrate (CAS No. 20908-72-9) and occurs as a grayish-white to buff-colored powder.
- Chemical PropertiesFerrous sulfate is a greenish or yellowish solid in fine or lumpy crystals.
- Chemical Propertieslight blue or light blue-green solid
- UsesUsed in quantitative analysis of nitrates .
- UsesIn manufacture of Fe, Fe Compounds, other sulfates; in Fe electroplating baths; in fertilizer; as food and feed supplement; in radiation dosimeters; as reducing agent in chemical processes; as wood preservative; as weed-killer; in prevention of chlorosis in plants; in other pesticides; in writing ink; in process engraving and lithography; as dye for leather; in etching aluminum; in water treatment; in qualitative analysis ("brown ring" test for nitrates); as polymerization catalyst.
- DefinitionChEBI: A hydrate that is the heptahydrate form of iron(2+) sulfate. It is used as a source of iron in the treatment of iron-deficiency anaemia (generally in liquid-dosage treatments; for solid-dosage treatments, the monohydrate is normally used).
- General DescriptionA greenish or yellow-brown crystalline solid. Density 15.0 lb /gal. Melts at 64°C and loses the seven waters of hydration at 90°C. The primary hazard is the threat to the environment. Immediate steps should be taken to limit its spread to the environment. Used for water or sewage treatment, as a fertilizer ingredient.
- Air & Water ReactionsWater soluble
- Reactivity ProfileFerrous sulfate heptahydrate is a weak reducing agent.
- Health HazardINGESTION: abdominal pain, retching, diarrhea, dehydration, shock, pallor, cyanosis, rapid or weak pulse, shallow respiration, low blood pressure.
- Safety ProfilePoison by intravenous, intraperitoneal, and subcutaneous routes. Moderately toxic by ingestion and rectal routes. Mutation data reported. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of SOx.
- Potential ExposureIt is used as a fertilizer, food or feed additive; and in herbicides; process engraving; dyeing, and water treatment. A byproduct of various chemical and metal treating operations.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise the sulfate from 0.4M H2SO4, or precipitate it from an aqueous solution with EtOH. It is efflorescent in dry air, and is converted to the tetrahydrate at 57o, then to the monohydrate at 65o (or by heating the heptahydrate in a vacuum at 140o). It forms a brown-black complex, FeSO4.NO, with nitric oxide and is used in a qualitative test for nitrates (“brown ring” test).
- IncompatibilitiesAqueous solution is acidic. Contact with alkalies form iron. Keep away from alkalies, soluble carbo nates; gold and silver salts; lead acetate; lime water, potassium iodide; potassium and sodium tartrate; sodium borate; tannin.
Ferrous sulfate heptahydrate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsSulfuric acid IronTitanium oxideILMENITEIronmetal,wire0.075mm(0.003in)diaspectro99.9,metalsbasisSulfuric acid iron(2+) salt monohydrate
- Preparation ProductsCitronellolManganese(II) sulfate hydrateIron oxideMetatitanic acidPrussian Blue6-QuinolinylmethanolTetrapotassium hexacyanoferrate trihydratePotassium ferrocyanide trihyratePigment Yellow 42Sodium ferrocyanideTriiron tetraoxideFoliar-fertilizerFERROUS GLUCONATE DIHYDRATEFE2O3 AS BROWN PIGMENTGestodenemedium temperature Shift catalystsmedium(high)temperature Shift catalystsTITANIUM DIOXIDEPOTASSIUM FERRATE(VI) 97Ferrous lactate8-Chloroquinoline4-Amino-3-fluoropyridine6-Chloroindole-2-carboxylic acidAmmonium ferric citrateMETHYL 6-QUINOLINEACETATEIron oxide black4-Fluoroindole Ammonium iron(II) sulfateNaphthenate drierCI 77492Iron oxide brown Ferrous fumarateIron naphthenate5-Chloroindoleferrous pyrophosphate for foodFerric phosphateethybenzene dehydrogenation catayst NCYIron Oxide GreenPigment Blue 27
- 5-Chlorovaleric acid Neomycin sulfate Pralmorelin Diphenolic acid FERROIN SOLUTION Ammonium iron(II) sulfate Potassium sulfate Ferrous sulfate heptahydrate calcium sulfate Colistin sulfate Ferrous Sodium sulfate Magnesium sulfate heptahydrate Ammonium sulfate ETHYLENEDIAMINE TETRAKIS(PROPOXYLATE-BLOCK-ETHOXYLATE) TETROL Sulfuric acid iron(2+) salt monohydrate 4-(Diethylamino)salicylaldehyde sulfate
Ferrous sulfate heptahydrateSupplierMore
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Products Intro:Product Name:Iron sulfate heptahydrate
Purity:AR, >=99.0% Package:44.1RMB/500G
- Company Name:Jiangsu Kolod Food Ingredients Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18861332158 0518-85110930-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Ferrous sulfate heptahydrate
- Company Name:Xuzhou Sunyu Chemical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Products Intro:Product Name:Iron(Ⅱ) sulfate heptahydrate
- Company Name:Beijing CommScope Huiwei Technology Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:15611110038 010-67290301-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Ferrous sulfate
Purity:0.99；规格：25千克/包；500克/瓶； Package:50吨 Remarks:0.99
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Iron(II)sulfate heptahydrate, 99%, ACS reagent