ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Cyanide, hydroxide and hydrogen complexes > Potassium ferrocyanide trihyrate
Potassium ferrocyanide trihyrate
Potassium ferrocyanide trihyrate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:70 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.85
- storage temp. Store at RT.
- solubility H2O: 0.5 M at 20 °C, clear, yellow
- form fine crystals
- color Yellow
- Specific Gravity1.85
- PH9.5 (100g/l, H2O, 20℃)(anhydrous substance)
- PH Range8 - 10 at 211 g/l at 25 °C
- Water Solubility 270 g/L (12 ºC)
- Merck 14,7631
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with oxidizing agents, stong acids (may generate very toxic HCN). Not combustible.
- CAS DataBase Reference14459-95-1(CAS DataBase Reference)
Potassium ferrocyanide trihyrate Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiespale yellow solid
- UsesApplied in formation of a xerogel via a cyanogel the gel has potential use in solid-state gas sensors.1
- UsesModerately strong oxidizer when coupled with ferricyanide.
- UsesPotassium ferrocyanide is a yellow crystal also known as yellow prussiate of potash. It was made by stirring hot potassium carbonate with wool or horn clippings with an iron rod. It is soluble in water 1:4 but not in alcohol. Potassium ferrocyanide was used as a developer for some iron processes and as an additive for alkaline pyro developers.
- PreparationPotassium hexacyanoferrate(II), K4Fe(CN)6·3H20, is obtained commercially from gasworks spent oxide (which contains Prussian blue) by treatment with lime and subsequent treatment of the solution with a soluble potassium salt ; the less soluble potassium hexacyanoferrate(II) can be crystallized from this mixture. In the laboratory it is readily prepared by treating aqueous iron(II) sulphate with an excess of potassium cyanide ; the initially precipitated iron(II) cyanide dissolves upon boiling in the excess of potassium cyanide solution and the ferrocyanide crystallizes on cooling.
- Purification MethodsThe anhydrous salt is prepared by drying at 110o over P2O5 in a vacuum desiccator. To obtain the trihydrate, it is necessary to equilibrate the salt in a desiccator over a saturated aqueous solution of sucrose and NaCl. It can also be precipitated from a saturated solution at 0o by adding an equal volume of cold 95% EtOH, setting aside for several hours, then centrifuge and wash with cold 95% EtOH. It is finally sucked air dry with water-pump vacuum. The anhydrous salt is obtained by drying the hydrate in a platinum boat at 90o in a slow stream of N2 [Loftfield & Swift J Am Chem Soc 60 3083 1938].
- Structure and conformationThe trihydrate is diamagnetic and dimorphic existing in monoclinic (pseudotetragonal) and tetragonal forms. Its infrared spectrum in solution shows a single ν(C≡ N) at 2044 cm-1, but in the solid state a large number of bands are observed160; ν(Fe-C) occurs at 416cm-1. White, anhydrous K4Fe(CN)6 is obtained by dehydrating the trihydrate at 100°.
Potassium ferrocyanide trihyrate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsSodium chlorideRed prussiatePrussian BlueTetrapotassium hexacyanoferrate trihydrateSodium ferrocyanide
- Raw materialsPotassium carbonateAmmoniaPotassium chloride Calcium oxideFerrous sulfate heptahydrateFERROUS SULFATEMiddle chrome yellowSodium ferrocyanideBlack cyanideCalcium Ferrocyanide
- Cyanide, Quant Test Strips Sodium cyanide Sodium selenite VE POTASSIUM CYANIDE Pigment Blue 27 Potassium ferrocyanide trihyrate Tetrapotassium hexacyanoferrate trihydrate Potassium persulfate Potassium Acetate Sodium hexacyanoferrate(II) decahydrate Potassium sorbate Potassium iodide Potassium Citrate Losartan potassium Potassium Potassium gold(III) cyanide Potassium dicyanoaurate potassium ferricyanide
Potassium ferrocyanide trihyrateSupplierMore
- Company Name:Shanghai Macklin Biochemical Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:Beijing dtftchem Technology Co., Ltd.