ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Synthetic Anti-infective Drugs > Antiseptics & Disinfectants Drugs > Rutile
Basic information General description Chemical Properties Uses Production method Safety Related Supplier
Rutile Chemical Properties
- Melting point:1843 °C
- Boiling point:2900 °C
- Density 4.17 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- Flash point:2500-3000°C
- form powder
- color White
- Specific Gravity4.2
- Water Solubility Soluble in hot concentrated sulfuric acid, in hydrofluoric acid and alkali. Insoluble in water.
- Merck 14,9472
- CAS DataBase Reference1317-80-2(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemRutile (TiO2) (1317-80-2)
Rutile Usage And Synthesis
- General descriptionTitanium dioxide is naturally presented in titanium ore and rutile titanium. Its molecular structure makes it contain high luminance and covering property. But it must be subject to first extraction and purification. 60 years ago, the DuPont Company had developed the chlorination process as the production technology of titanium dioxide. Because of its relative old sulfuric acid process, it is capable of manufacturing high-quality paint products while reducing environmental emissions and energy consumption and therefore has become the preferred technique in the world.
Titanium dioxide (or TiO2) is the most widely used white pigment in the field of industry, being used in architecture, industry and automotive coatings; furniture, electrical appliances, plastic tape and plastic box-purpose plastic; high-grade magazines, publicity pictures and paper for attached film as well as specialty product such as ink, rubber, leather and elastomers.
- Chemical PropertiesRutile is one of the major minerals containing titanium. It is tetragonal and often has intact tetra-columnar or needle crystalline-like structure. Its aggregate exhibits granular or compacting blocky shape. It appears as dark, red, maroon, yellow or orange color with iron-rich product appearing as black color; it streaks appears as yellow to light brown color. It has adamantine gloss. Iron rutile exhibits semi-metallic gloss. It is brittle with the hardness being 6 to 6.5 and the density being 4.2~4.3 g/cm3. Products being rich in iron, niobium and tantalum have the density being increased with the high value being up to 5.5 g/cm3 or more. It can be dissolved in hot phosphoric acid. After cooling and dilution, adding sodium peroxide can turn the solution to brown color (titanium reaction). Rutile can be produced in gneiss, pegmatite, eclogite (flash) rock and placer.
- UsesIt can be used for the production of titanium dioxide, titanium sponge, titanium alloys, synthetic rutile, titanium tetrachloride, titanyl sulfate, potassium hexafluorotitanate and aluminum chloride or titanium chloride. Titanium dioxide can be used for making high-grade white paint, white rubber, synthetic fibers, paint, welding electrodes and the light reducing agent of rayon as well as the filler of plastics and advanced paper. It can also be applied to telecommunications equipment, metallurgy, printing, dyeing, enamel and other departments. Rutile is also the main mineral raw materials for extraction of titanium. Titanium and its alloys have many excellent properties including high strength, low density, excellent anti-corrosion properties, high temperature resistance, low temperature resistance and non-toxicity; it also has special features such as absorbing gases and superconductivity, and therefore is widely used in various kinds of fields including aviation, chemicals, light industry, navigation, medical, defense and marine resources development and so on. According to reports, more than 90% of the titanium mineral in the world has been used the production of titanium dioxide white pigment, and this product has more and more wide application in the paint, rubber, plastics, paper and some other industries.
It can be used for welding, refining of titanium and manufacturing of titanium dioxide.
It can be used as reagents analysis as well as being used for the preparation of highly pure titanium salts and being applied to pharmaceutical industry.
It can be used as the carrier of catalyst, photo-catalytic media and the protection media against UV radiation. It also has wide application in various kinds of filed such as the coatings, plastics, self-cleaning automotive glass, automotive mirrors, act wall glass, screen glass bulb, air purification materials, medicine, cosmetics, water treatment, tanning and ink and so on.
- Production methodIt is mostly from strip mining. The selection of ore for the primary deposit of Titanium can be divided into three stages including pre-selection (usual through magnetic separation and gravity separation), iron selection (using magnetic separation) and Titanium selection (gravity separation, magnetic separation, electrostatic separation and flotation); The ore selection of Ti-Zr sand mineral (mainly include beach placer, followed by inland placer) mineral processing can be divided into two steps including roughing selection and featured. In 1995, the mining department in Zhengzhou Institute of comprehensive utilization had applied magnetic separation-gravity selection-acid leaching process for ore selection on the large-scale rutile ore in Xixia of Henan Province and had already passed the trial production with various kinds of indicators reaching the domestic leading level.
- Chemical Propertieswhite powder(s) or 99.9% pure gold sintered tablets; tetr, a = 0.533 nm, c =0.6645 nm; thermally stable form of TiO2; hardness 7–7.5 Mohs; dielectric constant 114; used as a white pigment in paints, paper, rubber, etc., as an opacifying agent, and with 99.99% and 99.9% purity as a sputtering target to prepare high index films, and multilayer interference filters [HAW93] [MER06] [CER91] [KIR83]
- UsesUVA absorber (intended for use as a topical sunscreen).
- DefinitionRutile: A naturally occurring reddish-brown form of titanium(IV) oxide, TiO4. It is an ore of titanium and is also used in making ceramics. Some clear varieties of rutile are used as a semiprecious gemstone.
- brand nameTinosorb M (Ciba Specialty Chemicals).
Rutile Preparation Products And Raw materials
- PAINT Flame retardants TITANIUM DIOXIDE POWDER, ANATASE,TITANIUM DIOXIDE FIBER GRADE,TITANIUM DIOXIDE PIGMENT,TITANIUM DIOXIDE RUTILE GRADE,TITANIUM DIOXIDE USP23,BP98,TITANIUM DIOXIDE RUTILE/ANATASE,TITANIUM DIOXIDE RUTIL,TITANIUM DIOXIDE ANATASE FOR PAINT,TITANIUM DIOXIDE - ANATASE GRADE B101,TITANIUM DIOXIDE B 101 ANATASE GRADE,TITANIUM DIOXIDE B-101 GENERAL GRADE,TITANIUM DIOXIDE FOR PAIN,TITANIUM DIOXIDE ANATASE(ENAMEL GRADE),TITANIUM DIOXIDE (RUTILE AND ANTASE),TITANIUM DIOXIDE(ENAMEL GRADE),TITANIUM DIOXIDE AN TITANIUM OXYCHLORIDE Magnesium potassium titanate BARIUM STRONTIUM TITANIUM OXIDE CESIUM TITANIUM OXIDE RUTILE TYPE TITANIUM DIOXIDE Dihydroxybis(ammonium lactato)titanium(IV) Thiourea dioxide CARBON DIOXIDE TITANIUM MONOCRYSTALLINE POWDER Quartz Chlorine dioxide TITANIUM OXYNITRIDE TITANIUM MONOXIDE TITANIUM
- Company Name:Shanghai yuejiang titanium dioxide chemical products co. LTD Gold
- Company Name:3A Chemicals Gold
- Company Name:Aikon International Limited Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:010-82848833- ;010-82848833-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Tel:400-610-6006; 021-67582000