Ferrous fumarate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:>280°C
- Density 2.435
- solubility Slightly soluble in water, very slightly soluble in ethanol (96 per cent).
- form solid
- Water Solubility Soluble in water (0.14 g/100 ml at 25°C).
- Merck 14,4046
- CAS DataBase Reference141-01-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry System2-Butenedioic acid (2E)-, iron(2+) salt (1:1) (141-01-5)
Ferrous fumarate Usage And Synthesis
- UsesIron(II) Fumarate is a a chemical used in the treatment of iron deficiency. More commonly used for this treatment is Ferrous Sulfate however Iron(II) Fumarate does maintain similar absorption profiles.
- DescriptionFerrous fumarate is the ferrous salt form of fumarate. One of its most important applications is being used as iron supplements for the treatment of iron deficiency and anemia. It has been demonstrated that application of ferrous sulfate drops or a single daily dose of microencapsulated ferrous fumarate sprinkles plus ascorbic acid both result in successful treatment of anemia without remarkable side effects. However, recent studies have also shown that compared to other iron supplements, ferrous fumarate has a highest rate of inducing adverse reactions such as erosive mucosal injury in the gastrointestinal tract as well as nausea, vomiting and epigastric discomfort.
- Chemical Propertiesbrown to reddish-brown powder
- Chemical Properties§184.1307d(a) Ferrous fumarate (iron(II)fumarate, C4H2Fe04) is an odorless, reddish-orange to reddish-brown powder. It may contain soft lumps that produce a yellow streak when crushed. It is prepared by admixing hot solutions of ferrous sulfate and sodium fumarate.
- OriginatorToleron,Mallinckrodt Inc.,US,1957
- UsesFerrous fumarate is available as a syrup and may be useful in small children for the treatment and prophylaxis of iron deficiency.
- UsesFerrous Fumarate is a reddish orange to red-brown powder that is a source of iron. it has high bioavailability and can be used in foods where the red color can be masked. it contains approximately 33% iron. it is used as a dietary supplement in breakfast cereals, poultry stuffing, enriched flour, and instant drinks.
- DefinitionAnhydrous salt of a combination of ferrous iron and fumaric acid, stable, odorless, substantially tasteless. Reddish-brown, anhydrous powder, contains 33% iron by weight, does not melt at temperatures up to 280C, insoluble in alcohol, very slightly solubl
- Manufacturing ProcessSodium carbonate (53.5 pounds of Na2CO3-H2O) was dissolved in water (40 to 45 gallons) and fumaric acid (50 pounds) was added slowly. During the addition the solution was stirred and heated. The resulting solution of sodium fumarate, having a pH of 6.8, was added slowly with mixing to a solution of ferrous sulfate (118 pounds FeSO4-7H2O in 33 gallons of water) having a pH of 3.3, both solutions being maintained at or near boiling temperature during the mixing. The resulting slurry of reddish-brown anhydrous ferrous fumarate was filtered and washed in a centrifuge and dried in a tray drier (15 hours at 110°C). Yield: 63 pounds, 86% of theory. Calculated for FeC4H2O4: Fe, 32.9%. Found: Fe, 32.6%. Only 0.2% of ferric iron (Fe+++) was found.
- Therapeutic FunctionHematinic
- Safety ProfilePoison by intraperitoneal route. Moderately toxic by ingestion and subcutaneous routes. Human systemic effects by ingestion: dyspnea, nausea or vomiting, somnolence. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also FUMRIC ACID.
- ReferencesZlotkin, Stanley, et al. "Treatment of anemia with microencapsulated ferrous fumarate plus ascorbic acid supplied as sprinkles to complementary (weaning) foods." The American journal of clinical nutrition 74.6 (2001): 791-795.
Cancelo-Hidalgo, María Jesús, et al. "Tolerability of different oral iron supplements: a systematic review." Current medical research and opinion 29.4 (2013): 291-303.
Ferrous fumarate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- 2-BUTENE FERROUS FUMARATE BP Dimethyl fumarate 5-Chlorovaleric acid Ferrous acetate ETHYLENEDIAMINE TETRAKIS(PROPOXYLATE-BLOCK-ETHOXYLATE) TETROL Ketotifen fumarate Disodium fumarate DL-α-Tocopherol Ferrous Hematite 4-(Diethylamino)salicylaldehyde Pralmorelin FUMARATE Ferrous fumarate FERROUS SULFATE Diphenolic acid Fumaric acid
- Company Name:Ningxiang Jiayuan Biology Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15973178235 0731-87752355
- Company Name:Shaanxi Pioneer Biotech Co.,Ltd Gold
- Tel:17602929471 029-86107037-8007
- Company Name:Lianyungang Kexin Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18805133257 518-85110578-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801