ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal Sulphides and sulphates > Ferric sulfate
- Product Name:Ferric sulfate
- Synonyms: PLC/PRF/5 Cell ironsulfate(2:3) ironsulfate(fe2(so4)3) irontersulfate Maxicrop moss killer & conditioner Taylors lawn sand Vitax micro gran Vitax turf tonic
- Product Categories: Inorganics
- Mol File:10028-22-5.mol
Ferric sulfate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:480°C
- Density 3.097
- storage temp. Store at RT.
- form Powder
- color Yellow-gray
- Water Solubility Soluble in water. Sparingly soluble in alcohol. Almost insoluble in acetone and ethyl acetate. Insoluble in sulfuric acid and ammonia.
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,4032
- CAS DataBase Reference10028-22-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceFerric sulfate(10028-22-5)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemSulfuric acid, iron(3+) salt (3:2)(10028-22-5)
Ferric sulfate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionFerric sulfate (iron sulfate) is the ferric salt of sulfate. It can be used as a mordant in dyeing and used as a coagulant for the treatment of industrial wastes. In the medical field, it can be used as an astringent and styptic. It is a kind of hemostatic agent being capable of controlling or stopping the flow of blood. It is also recommended that ferric sulfate is a good pulpotomy agent in primary teeth with good potential of substituting the formocresol. It can also be used in pigment, and in pickling baths for aluminum and steel. It is generally prepared through the reaction between ferrous sulfate, sulfuric acid and an oxidizing agent such as nitric acid.
- ReferencesZouboulis, A. I., P. A. Moussas, and F. Vasilakou. "Polyferric sulphate: preparation, characterisation and application in coagulation experiments."Journal of Hazardous Materials 155.3 (2008):459. Zhang, Nianrong, D. Du, and Q. Wang. "Mordant Dyeing Behavior of Tanning Extracts on Leather Dyeing." China Leather (2012). Rodríguez-Priego, M. E., et al. "Ferric sulphate alterations on primary dentin and the adhesive interface. " Journal of Adhesive Dentistry16.4(2014):347-356.
Dan, E. Fischer. "Ferric sulfate as hemostatic agent." US, US 4551100 A. 1985.
Lee, Sang Heon, M. N. Lee, and S. H. Lee. "PRIMANY TOOTH PULPOTOMY USING FERRIC SULFATE." Journal of the Korean Academy of Pedtatric Dentistry 25.4(1998):843-848.
- Description§184.1307(a) Ferric sulfate (iron(HI)sulfate, Fe2(S04)3), a yellow substance that may be prepared by oxidizing iron(II)sulfate or by treating ferric oxide or ferric hydroxide with sulfuric acid.
- Chemical PropertiesYellow crystals or grayish-white powder.(1) slightly soluble in water, (2) very soluble in water. Keep well closed and protected from light. Noncombustible.
- Chemical PropertiesFerric Sulfate is a grayish-white powder or yellow lumpy crystals.
- UsesFerric Sulfate is a nutrient and dietary supplement that is a source of iron.
- UsesIn preparation of iron alums, other iron salts and pigments; as coagulant in water purification and sewage treatment; in etching aluminum; in pickling stainless steel and copper; as mordant in textile dyeing and calico printing; in soil conditioners; as polymerization catalyst.
- DefinitionFerrous sulfate,also known as ferrisulpas, green copperas, green vitriol, iron sulfate, and melanterite, is composed of blue green monoclinic crystals. It is soluble in water and is used as a mordant for dyeing wool in the textile industry. Ferrous sulfate is also used as a disinfectant and in the manufacture of ink.
- General DescriptionA yellow crystalline solid or a grayish-white powder. The primary hazard is the threat to the environment. Immediate steps should be taken to limit its spread to the environment. Ferric sulfate is used for water purification, and as a soil conditioner.
- Air & Water ReactionsSoluble in water. Hygroscopic in air. Forms acidic aqueous solutions.
- Reactivity ProfileFerric sulfate is acidic. Corrosive to copper, copper alloys, mild steel, and galvanized steel [USCG, 1999].
- Health HazardInhalation of dust irritates nose and throat. Ingestion causes irritation of mouth and stomach. Dust irritates eyes and can irritate skin on prolonged contact.
- Agricultural UsesHerbicide, Molluscicide, Agricultural product constituent: Ferric sulfate is used on forage alfalfa, almonds, nurseries and structural pest control. This material is also used in pigments, textile dyeing, water treatment, and metal pickling
- Trade nameGREENMASTER AUTUMN®; MAXICROP MOSS KILLER®; VITAX MICRO GRAN®; VITAX TURF TONIC®
- Safety ProfileA poison by intraperitoneal route. Mutation data reported. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of SOx and Fe-. See also SULFATES and other ferric salts.
- Potential ExposureThis material is used in pigments, textile dyeing, water treatment; and metal pickling.
- ShippingUN3077 Environmentally hazardous substances, solid, n.o.s., Hazard class: 9; Labels: 9-Miscellaneous haz ardous material, Technical Name Required.
- Purification MethodsDissolve the sulfate in the minimum volume of dilute aqueousH2SO4 and allow it to evaporate at room temperature until yellowish-white crystals start to form. Do not concentrate by boiling off the H2O as basic salts will be formed. Various hydrates are formed; the common ones are the dodeca and nona hydrates which are violet in colour. The anhydrous salt is colourless and is very hygroscopic, but it dissolves in H2O slowly unless ferrous sulfate is added. [Gmelin’s, Iron (8th edn) pp 439-462 1932.]
- IncompatibilitiesHydrolyzed slowly in aqueous solution. Incompatible with magnesium, aluminum. Corrosive to copper and its alloys, mild and galvanized steel. Light sensitive.
- Waste DisposalTreat with soda ash or dilute NaOH. Separate any precipitate and landfill. Flush solution to sewer.
Ferric sulfate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Ferric sulfate Ammonium ferric citrate Aluminum sulfate Ferric chloride potassium ferric sulfate FERRIC SULFATE N-HYDRATE,FERRIC SULFATE, HYDRATED,FERRIC SULFATE HYDRATE,Iron (III) sulfate (Ferric sulfate), (L-A128) sulfate Ammonium sulfate Magnesium sulfate heptahydrate Sulfuric acid Folic acid AMMONIUM FERRIC SULFATE DODECAHYDRATE, A CS,AMMONIUM FERRIC SULFATE DODECAHYDRATE,AMMONIUM FERRIC SULFATE Dimethyl sulfate Sodium sulfate SULFURIC ACID-D2 GOLD COAST SOLUTION NO 1 Citric acid Ascoric Acid
Ferric sulfate SupplierMore
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:86-21-50328103 * 801、802、803、804 Mobile:18930552037
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Tel:400-610-6006; 021-67582000
- Company Name:Beijing dtftchem Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:13651141086; 86(10)60275028、60275820
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:021-58432009 / 400-005-6266
- Company Name:Beijing Ouhe Technology Co., Ltd