ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Hydrocarbons and derivatives > Hydrocarbon halides > Iodoethane
Iodoethane Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-108 °C
- Boiling point:69-73 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.95 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 5.38 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 100 mm Hg ( 18 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:53 °C
- storage temp. Store at R.T.
- solubility 4g/l (slow decomposition)
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless to faint yellow or pink
- Specific Gravity1.95
- Water Solubility 4 g/L (20 ºC)
- Sensitive Light Sensitive
- Merck 14,3813
- BRN 505934
- CAS DataBase Reference75-03-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceIodoethane(75-03-6)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemEthane, iodo- (75-03-6)
Iodoethane Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesColorless to yellow liquid. Iodoethane is a stable chemical substance. It is incompatible with strong bases, magnesium, and strong oxidising agents and gets discoloured when exposed to light, moisture, and air.
- UsesA useful synthetic reagent for the introduction of ethyl groups
- DefinitionChEBI: An iodoalkane that is ethane substituted by an iodo group.
- DefinitionA colorless liquid alkyl halide made by reaction of ethanol with iodine in the presence of red phosphorus.
- Synthesis Reference(s)The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 12, p. 133, 1947 DOI: 10.1021/jo01165a017
- HazardToxic by inhalation and skin absorption, narcotic in high concentration.
- Purification MethodsDrying the iodide with P2O5 is unsatisfactory, and with CaCl2 it is incomplete. It is probably best to dry it with sodium wire and distil [Hammond et al. J Am Chem Soc 82 704 1960]. Exposure of ethyl iodide to light leads to rapid decomposition, with the liberation of iodine. Free iodine can be removed by shaking with several portions of dilute aqueous Na2S2O3 (until the colour is discharged), followed by washing with water, drying (with CaCl2, then sodium), and distilling. The distilled ethyl iodide is stored, over mercury, in a dark bottle away from direct sunlight. Other purification procedures include passage through a 60cm column of silica gel, followed by distillation, and treatment with elemental bromine, extraction of free halogen with Na2S2O3 solution, followed by washing with water, drying and distilling. Free iodine and HI have also been removed by direct distillation through a LeBel-Henninger column containing copper turnings. Purification by shaking with alkaline solutions, and storage over silver, are reported to be unsatisfactory. [Beilstein 1 IV 163.]
Iodoethane Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsPhosphorusWhite phosphorus
- Preparation Products2-Methylisonicotinic acid1-ETHYLPIPERAZIN-2-ONEBasic Red 12-Ethoxybenzoic acid1-BOC-4-ETHYL-4-PIPERIDINECARBOXYLIC ACID5-ETHYL-2-FURALDEHYDEETHYL 3-PHENYLGLYCIDATE3-ETHOXY-1,2-PROPANEDIOLN-(4,6-DIMETHYLPYRIMIDIN-2-YL)-N-ETHYLBENZENE-1,4-DIAMINEPhenacetin1,2-Diethoxybenzene2,5-DIETHOXYBENZALDEHYDE3,5-DIBROMO-2-ETHOXYBENZALDEHYDECARBON TETRAIODIDECyclohexylethyletherOxolinic acid2-Acetyl-3-ethylpyrazineGallamine triethiodide
- Travoprost Acid 9-KETO FLUPROSTENOL 9-keto Fluprostenol isopropyl ester 15-Keto Travoprost 3-Trifluoromethylphenol 5,6-trans Travoprost 15-KETO FLUPROSTENOL Travoprost 15(S)-Fluprostenol isopropyl ester Ethyl bromoacetate Iodoethane Propidium iodide Ethyl 4'-hydroxy-3'-methoxycinnamate Ethyl vanillin Potassium iodide Triethylsilane N-Aminoethylpiperazine 1,1,1-TRIFLUORO-2-IODOETHANE,TRIFLUORO IODOETHANE
- Company Name:Jinan JiaEast Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Guoyuan Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13913095008 0512-55170668-
- Company Name:Shanghai Kaisai Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-