ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Carboxylic acids and esters > Aromatic carboxylic acid ester > ETHYL 3-PHENYLGLYCIDATE
ETHYL 3-PHENYLGLYCIDATE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:17-18 °C
- Boiling point:96 °C/0.5 mmHg (lit.)
- Density 1.102 g/mL at 25 °C (lit.)
- refractive index n
- FEMA 2454 | ETHYL 3-PHENYLGLYCIDATE
- Flash point:>230 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless to yellow
- Sensitive Moisture Sensitive
- JECFA Number1576
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference121-39-1(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemEthyl 3-phenylglycidate (121-39-1)
- Hazard Codes Xi
- Risk Statements 36/37/38
- Safety Statements 23-24/25
- WGK Germany 2
- RTECS MB4970000
- TSCA Yes
- HS Code 29189990
- Hazardous Substances Data121-39-1(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityThe acute oral LD50 value in rats was reported as 2.3 ml/kg (2.0-2.6 ml/ kg) (Shelanski, 1973b). The acute dermal LD50 value in rabbits was reported as > 5 g/kg (Shelanski, 1973a).
ETHYL 3-PHENYLGLYCIDATE Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiespale yellow liquid
- Chemical PropertiesEthyl 3-Phenylglycidate is a colorless liquid
with a strawberry-like odor.
It is prepared by treating ethyl cinnamatewith peracetic acid or by condensation of benzaldehyde with ethyl chloroacetate (in the aforementioned Darzens reaction, R == H).Theglycidate is used as a long-lasting fragrancematerial for creating harmonic, fruity notes in household and fine fragrances.
- Chemical PropertiesEthyl 3-phenylglycidate has a strong, fruity odor suggestive of strawberry with a corresponding sweet flavor.
- OccurrenceApparently has not been reported to occur in nature.
- PreparationUsually prepared by the reaction of benzaldehyde and the ethyl ester of monochloracetic acid in the presence of an alkaline condensing agent; by reacting the silver salt of phenyl glycidic acid with ethyl iodide.
- Aroma threshold valuesDetection: 8.5 ppm
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 30 ppm: sweet, fruity and berry with dried fruit and floral nuance.
- Synthesis Reference(s)Synthetic Communications, 12, p. 355, 1982 DOI: 10.1080/00397918209408010
- General DescriptionClear pale yellow or yellow liquid.
- Air & Water ReactionsSlightly water soluble.
- Reactivity ProfileEpoxides are highly reactive. They polymerize in the presence of catalysts or when heated. These polymerization reactions can be violent. Compounds in this group react with acids, bases, and oxidizing and reducing agents. They react, possibly violently with water in the presence of acid and other catalysts.
- Fire HazardETHYL 3-PHENYLGLYCIDATE is probably combustible.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion. Mutation data reported. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also ESTERS.
ETHYL 3-PHENYLGLYCIDATE Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Ethyl propionate Glycidol (2R,3R)-3-PHENYLGLYCIDOL DL-GLYCERIC ACID ETHYL-3-PHENYLGLYCIDATE, CIS TRANS 92% ethyl-2-phenylglycidate AURORA KA-2972 ETHYL-2,4-DICHLOROPHENYL GLYCIDATE TOSLAB 22668 ETHYL 3-PHENYLGLYCIDATE ETHYL-3,4-DICHLOROPHENYL GLYCIDATE 3-(3-CYANO-PHENYL)-3-METHYL-OXIRANE-2-CARBOXYLIC ACID ETHYL ESTER ETHYL 3-(4-ISOBUTYLPHENYL)-3-METHYL GLYCIDATE (2R,3S)-3-(4-CHLORO-PHENYL)-2-METHYL-OXIRANE-2-CARBOXYLIC ACID ETHYL ESTER Ethyl 3-methyl-3-phenylglycidate ETHYL 3-(6-METHOXY-2-NAPHTHYL)-3-METHYL GLYCIDATE AURORA KA-2973
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-