ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Carboxylic acids and esters > Aliphatic dicarboxylic acid esters > Ethyl propionate
Ethyl propionate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-73 °C (lit.)
- Boiling point:99 °C (lit.)
- Density 0.888 g/mL at 25 °C (lit.)
- vapor density 3.52 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 40 mm Hg ( 27.2 °C)
- refractive index n
- FEMA 2456 | ETHYL PROPIONATE
- Flash point:54 °F
- storage temp. Flammables area
- solubility 17g/l
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless to pale yellow
- PH7 (H2O, 20℃)
- explosive limit1.8-11%(V)
- Odor Threshold0.007ppm
- Water Solubility 25 g/L (15 ºC)
- Merck 14,3847
- JECFA Number28
- BRN 506287
- CAS DataBase Reference105-37-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferencePropanoic acid, ethyl ester(105-37-3)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemEthyl propionate (105-37-3)
Ethyl propionate Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiesclear colorless to pale yellow liquid
- Chemical PropertiesEthyl Propionate is found in many fruits and alcoholic beverages. It has a fruity odor reminiscent of rum and is used in flavor compositions for creating both fruity and rum notes.
- Chemical PropertiesEthyl propionate has an odor reminiscent of rum and pineapple.
- OccurrenceReported found in several types of wine, in white grape var. Sauvignon, cocoa, apple juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice, guava, melon, peach, pineapple, strawberry, tomato, various cheeses, beer, cognac, rum, whiskey, bourbon, malt whiskey, scotch, cider, brandy, kiwi fruit and mussels.
- UsesEthyl Propionate is a flavoring agent that is a transparent liquid, colorless, with an odor resembling rum. it is miscible in alcohol and propylene glycol, soluble in fixed oils, mineral oil, and alcohol, and sparingly soluble in water. it is obtained by chemical synthesis.
- UsesSolvent for cellulose ethers and esters, various natural and synthetic resins; flavoring agent; fruit syrups; cutting agent for pyroxylin.
- DefinitionChEBI: A propanoate ester of ethanol.
- PreparationFrom propionic acid, ethyl alcohol and concentrated H2SO4 in chloroform at the boil
- Production MethodsEthyl propionate is produced by the esterification of ethyl alcohol with propionic acid or propionic anhydride.
- Aroma threshold valuesDetection: 9 to 45 ppb
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 25 ppm: sharp, fermented, rummy and fruity.
- General DescriptionA clear colorless liquid with a pineapple-like odor. Flash point 54°F. Less dense than water and insoluble in water. Vapors are heavier than air.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileEthyl propionate is an ester. Esters react with acids to liberate heat along with alcohols and acids. Strong oxidizing acids may cause a vigorous reaction that is sufficiently exothermic to ignite the reaction products. Heat is also generated by the interaction of esters with caustic solutions. Flammable hydrogen is generated by mixing esters with alkali metals and hydrides. Can react with oxidizing agents, bases, and acids. Polymerization: Will not polymerize [USCG, 1999].
- HazardFlammable, dangerous fire risk.
- Health HazardExposure can cause irritation of eyes, nose and throat. May cause shortness of breath or coughing. High concentrations have a narcotic effect. May cause abdominal pain and vomiting if swallowed.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion and intraperitoneal routes. A skin and eye irritant. A flammable liquid. A very dangerous fire and explosion hazard when exposed to heat or flame; can react vigorously with oxidizing materials. To fight fire, use foam, CO2, dry chemical. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also ETHERS.
- Purification MethodsTreat the ester with anhydrous CuSO4 and distil it under nitrogen. [Beilstein 2 IV 205.]
Ethyl propionate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsQuizalofop-p-ethyl4-(Aminomethyl)tetrahydro-2H-pyranSulindacFENOXAPROP-P-ETHYLcintofenLactofenProcymidoneEnoxacinPipemidic acid3,4-HexanedioneDilthiazem hydrochloride2-(4-chlorophenyl)-3-oxovaleronitrile 5-Amino-3-cyano-1-(2,6-dichloro-4-trifluoromethylphenyl)pyrazoleDIETHYL OXALPROPIONATEPyrimethamine
- Raw materialsSodium carbonateChloroformCalcium chloridePropionic acid
- alpha-d-Glucopyranoside, beta-d-fructofuranosyl, octadecanoate Methyl propionate 2-ISONITRILO-2-METHYL ETHYL PROPANOATE 1-Methyl-1-(4-methyl-3-cyclohexen-1-yl)ethyl propionate 2-(2-chloroethylsulfanyl)ethyl propanoate 2-[N-(2-cyanoethyl)anilino]ethyl propionate 2-[N-(2-cyanoethyl)-4-[(4-nitrophenyl)azo]anilino]ethyl propionate 2-(5-methylthiazol-4-yl)ethyl propionate DL-Ethyl 2-bromobutyrate Ethyl 2-bromoisobutyrate Ethyl 2-bromoheptanoate Ethyl 2-bromohexanoate Ethyl 2-bromovalerate propanoate Ethyl 2-chloropropionate Calcium Propionate Ethyl 2-bromopropionate (2-METHYL-1H-INDOL-3-YL)-OXO-ACETIC ACID ETHYL ESTER
- Company Name:Yangzhou shilihecheng Technology Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Henan xiangduo industry co., ltd Gold
- Company Name:Jinan Hui Feng Da chemical Co., LTD. Gold
- Tel:15554103218 0531-88691900-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-