ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Carboxylic acids and esters > Aliphatic dicarboxylic acid esters > Dimethyl succinate
Dimethyl succinate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:16-19 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:200 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.117 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 0.3 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- FEMA 2396 | DIMETHYL SUCCINATE
- Flash point:185 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility 75g/l
- form Liquid
- color Clear
- explosive limit1.0-8.5%(V)
- Water Solubility 8.5 g/L (20 ºC)
- JECFA Number616
- Merck 14,8869
- BRN 956776
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with oxidizing agents, acids, bases, reducing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference106-65-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceButanedioic acid, dimethyl ester(106-65-0)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemDimethyl succinate (106-65-0)
Dimethyl succinate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionDimethyl succinate belong to the diester of methyl alcohol and succinic acid, which can be found in nuts. It is a biodegradable ester with low odor and low volatility and commonly serves as a flavoring agent that can be used in perfumery and personal are products, including skin-conditioning agents and emollient. It also has a variety of industrial usages such as functional fluids (open systems), intermediates, paint additives and coating additives, pigments, viscosity adjustors, etc. Besides, dimethyl succinate can be used in the production of pharmaceuticals as well as agrochemicals and for manufacturing additives, plastics and other organic compounds. In spite of its slightly water-soluble property, it can also act as a surfactant applied in water based systems.
- Chemical Propertiescolourless liquid
- Chemical PropertiesDimethyl succinate has a pleasant, ethereal, winy odor and fruity, winy and burning flavor
- OccurrenceReported found in filbert nuts and starfruit.
- PreparationBy direct esterification of the acid with the alcohol in benzene solution at the boil in the presence of concentrated H2SO4
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 0.1%: sweet, fruity, green with a soapy, waxy nuance
- Synthesis Reference(s)Journal of the American Chemical Society, 100, p. 1119, 1978 DOI: 10.1021/ja00472a016
The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 59, p. 3500, 1994 DOI: 10.1021/jo00091a050
- General DescriptionColorless liquid.
- Air & Water ReactionsWater soluble.
- Reactivity ProfileDimethyl succinate reacts with acids to liberate heat along with methanol and succinic acid. May react with strong oxidizing acids to liberate enough heat to ignite the reaction products. Heat is also generated by the interaction with caustic solutions. Flammable hydrogen is generated with alkali metals and hydrides.
- Health HazardMay be harmful by inhalation, ingestion or skin absorption. May cause irritation.
- Fire HazardDimethyl succinate is combustible. Vapor forms explosive mixtures with air.
Dimethyl succinate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Dibutyl succinate Diethyl succinate Dimethyl phthalate Methyl bromide Dimethyl phosphite Pirimiphos-methyl Dimethyl ether 2,5-dioxo-1,4-cyclohexanedicarboxylic acid dimethyl ester Dimethyl malonate 6alpha-Methylprednisolone sodium succinate Dimethyl sulfate Dimethyl Glutarate ETHANE Succinic acid Dacthal Dimethyl sulfoxide DMC Methyl salicylate
- Company Name:Shanghai Ditao Chemical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Wuhan Greatwall chemical Co,.LTD Gold
- Tel:18086000087 400-027-6116
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:future industrial shanghai co., ltd