Sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate
Sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:48.5 °C
- Boiling point:100 C
- Density 1.01 g/mL at 25 °C
- storage temp. Store at RT.
- solubility H2O: 1 M at 20 °C, clear, colorless
- form Solid
- Specific Gravity1.729
- color White tranparent
- PH6.0-7.5 (100g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- PH Range6 - 8.5
- Water Solubility 680 g/L (20 ºC)
- Merck 14,8694
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong acids, iodine, mercury.
- CAS DataBase Reference10102-17-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemThiosulfuric acid (H2S2O3), disodium salt, pentahydrate (10102-17-7)
Sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiestranslucent crystals or white powder
- Chemical PropertiesSodium thiosulfate occurs as odorless and colorless crystals, a crystalline powder or granules. It is efflorescent in dry air and deliquescent in moist air.
- Production MethodsOn an industrial scale, sodium thiosulfate is produced chiefly from liquid waste products of sodium sulfide or sulfur dye manufacture. Small-scale synthesis is done by boiling an aqueous solution of sodium sulfite with sulfur.
- brand nameSulfactol (Sterling Winthrop).
- Pharmaceutical ApplicationsSodium thiosulfate is used as an antioxidant in pharmaceuticals (ophthalmic, intravenous, and oral preparations). It has also been used for its antifungal properties and as a reagent in analytical chemistry.
- SafetySodium thiosulfate is used in ophthalmic, intravenous, and oral
pharmaceutical preparations. Apart from osmotic disturbances,
sodium thiosulfate is relatively nontoxic. It is moderately toxic by the subcutaneous route and mildly irritating to respiratory tract and
skin. Large oral doses have a cathartic action.
LD50 (IP, mouse) 5.6 g/kg
LD50 (IV, mouse) 2.4 g/kg
- storageSodium thiosulfate decomposes on heating. The bulk powder should be stored in a cool place, and the container should be kept tightly closed in a dry and well-ventilated place. It should not be stored near acids.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise it from EtOH/H2O solutions or from water (0.3mL/g) below 60o by cooling to 0o, and dry it at 35o over P2O5 under vacuum. [Foerster & Mommsen Chem Ber 57 258 1924.] This salt is used as a secondary standard in volumetric analysis [Kilpatrick J Am Chem Soc 45 2132 1923], and is used as “Hypo” in photography [Hargreaves & Dunningham J Soc Chem Ind 42 147T 1923.]
- IncompatibilitiesSodium thiosulfate is incompatible with iodine, with acids, and with lead, mercury, and silver salts. It may reduce the activity of some preservatives, including bronopol, phenylmercuric salts, and thimerosal.
- Regulatory StatusGRAS listed. Included in the FDA Inactive Ingredients Database (IV solutions; ophthalmic solutions and suspensions; oral capsules, solutions, and tablets). Included in the Canadian List of Acceptable Non-medicinal Ingredients.
Sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsSodium hydroxideHydrochloric acidSulfuric acid Sodium carbonateSulfurSodium sulfiteZINCSodium sulfideActivated carbonSulfur dioxideCalcium oxideSulphurVanadium pentoxide Potassium sodium tartrate BARIUM SULFIDESulphur Black 1
- Preparation ProductsSodium thiosulfateFomesafen2-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)-4-ISOCYANATOPYRIDINEMolosultap5-BromoindazoleS-METHYL-S-BENZYL SULFOXIMINEBromoformCartap2-QUINOXALINECARBALDEHYDE5-Bromopyridine-2-carbaldehyde2-Hydroxymethyl-5-bromopyridine5-BROMO-2-METHYLPYRIDINE N-OXIDEChlorotrifluoroethylene(1S,2S,3R,5S)-(+)-2,3-PinanediolAllicin
- SODIUM THIOSULPHATE/IODINE K GOLD SODIUM THIOSULFATE HYDRATE GOLD (I) SODIUM THIOSULFATE GOLD(I) SODIUM THIOSULFATE HYDRATE ETHYLENEDIAMINE TETRAKIS(PROPOXYLATE-BLOCK-ETHOXYLATE) TETROL Sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate sodium Sodium acetate Sodium chloride Sodium bicarbonate Sodium sulfate 5-Chlorovaleric acid 4-(Diethylamino)salicylaldehyde Diphenolic acid Pralmorelin Sodium hydroxide Diclofenac sodium Sodium thiosulfate
Sodium thiosulfate pentahydrateSupplierMore
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Company Name:Xuzhou Sunyu Chemical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Wuhan Chujiang Haoyu Chemical Technology Development Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Wuhan Ji Ye Sheng Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-