ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Carboxylic acids and esters > Carboxylic acids > Pyruvic acid
Pyruvic acid Chemical Properties
- Melting point:11-12 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:165 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.272 g/mL at 20 °C
- FEMA 2970 | PYRUVIC ACID
- refractive index n
- Flash point:183 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility Miscible with chloroform and methanol.
- pka2.39(at 25℃)
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless to light yellow or amber
- PH1.2 (90g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- JECFA Number936
- Merck 14,8021
- BRN 506211
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong bases. Refrigerate.
- CAS DataBase Reference127-17-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferencePyruvic acid(127-17-3)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemPropanoic acid, 2-oxo- (127-17-3)
Pyruvic acid Usage And Synthesis
- UsesIntermediate in sugar metabolism and in enzymatic carbohydrate degradation (alcoholic fermentation) where it is converted to acetaldehyde and CO2 by carboxylase. In muscle, Pyruvic acid (derived from glycogen) is reduced to lactic acid during exertion, which is reoxidized and partially retransformed to glycogen during rest. The liver can convert Pyruvic acid to alanine by amination. A diagnostic agent for Parkinson disease.
- Chemical PropertiesColorless to light yellow liquid
- Chemical PropertiesPyruvic acid has a sour, acetic odor (similar to acetic acid). It has a pleasant, sour taste with a burning, somewhat sweet note. It tends to darken and decompose unless kept free of minor contaminants and in tightly sealed containers
- OccurrenceIsolated from cane sugar fermentation broth and from a few plants; also reported found in peppermint, raw asparagus, leaves and stalk of celery, onion, rutabaga, milk, cream, buttermilk, wheaten bread, blue cheeses, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, provolone cheese, yogurt, beef, Virginia tobacco, beer, white wine, botrytised wine, cocoa and sake.
- Usespyruvic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid that can be irritating and is considered difficult to work with. It has a larger molecular size than the most commonly used AHAs. Sodium pyruvate is more commonly used, and is an organic salt.
- UsesBiochemical research.
- DefinitionA fundamen- tal intermediate in protein and carbohydrate metabolism in the cell.
- PreparationBy distillation of tartaric acid in the presence of potassium acid sulfate as a dehydrating agent; from acetyl chloride and potassium cyanide to yield the nitrile, which is subsequently acid hydrolyzed to the acid; pyruvic acid must be rectified under vacuum.
- Aroma threshold valuesAroma characteristics at 1.0%: acidic, sweet, caramellic and sour.
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 5 ppm: sharp acidic, sour fruity, with sour creamy and caramellic nuances.
- Biotechnological ApplicationsPyruvic acid is a key position in cell metabolism and is involved in many catabolic and anabolic pathways, including glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, amino acid, and protein metabolism. Pyruvic acid is employed for the production of L-tryptophan, L-tyrosine, and 3,4-dihydroxyphenyl alanine in various industries. The diet supplementation with pyruvic acid increased fat loss and minimized the associated loss of body protein. Pyruvic acid is also used in biochemical researches and medicine as a substrate for assaying activities of such enzymes as pyruvate dehydrogenase, pyruvate carboxylase, and pyruvate decarboxylase (Nakazawa et al. 1972; Yamada et al. 1972; Stanko et al. 1992).
Y. lipolytica oxidize glucose and form pyruvic acid (75–80 %) and a-ketoglutaric acid (20–25 %) under thiamine deficiency conditions. The synthesis of the acid was triggered by a decrease in intracellular thiamine concentration to 3.0 lg per 1 g biomass. An approximately 3-fold increase in the amount of the biomass was associated with a subsequent decrease in thiamine content to the level of 1.0 lg per 1 g biomass, whose maximum production of pyruvic acid was 50 g/L in this condition. In addition to glucose, thiamine-auxotrophic yeasts are capable of synthesizing pyruvic acid when grown on glycerol and propionic acid. Technicalgrade glycerol is the most promising raw material for pyruvic acid production. Pyruvic acid was obtained at a concentration of 61 g/L with a yield of 71 % from glycerol (Morgunov et al. 2004; Finogenova et al. 2005).
- Purification MethodsDistil it twice, then fractionally crystallise it by partial freezing. [Beilstein 3 IV 1505.]
Pyruvic acid Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsEthyl pyruvateDL-TryptophanEthyl (R)-2-hydroxy-4-phenylbutyrateSULFENTRAZONEThiabendazole2-AMINO-3-METHYLQUINOXALINEBromopyruvic acid3-Mercaptopropionic acidGestrinoneAcetylpyrazineSodium pyruvatecarfentrazone-ethyl3-METHYL-2-QUINOXALINOL2-CHLORO-3-METHYL-QUINOXALINE1,2,3-THIADIAZOLE-4-CARBOXYLIC ACID4-Thiazolecarboxylic acid6-AZATHYMINE1,2,3-Thiadiazole-4-carbonyl chloride (6CI,7CI,8CI,9CI)Methyl pyruvateCalcium pyruvate
- Raw materialsHydrogen peroxideCARBON DIOXIDEPOTASSIUM CYANIDEManganese dioxideOxygenEthyl pyruvateBenzyladeninePotassium sulfate 1,2-PropanediolLactic acid D(-)-Tartaric acidPotassium bisulfate Dehydrolyzing agentDL-Tartaric acidEthyl lactate MethylglyoxalSodium pyruvatePotassium pyrosulfate(R)-LactateNICKEL (II) PHOSPHATEALDRIN2,2-Dichloropropionic acid
- Perindoprilat Perindopril-N-desethylpentanoate 1H-Indole-2-carboxylicacid,2,3,4,5,6,7-hexahydro-,(2S)-(9CI) Perindopril (R)-N-(1-Carboxyethyl)-D-norvaline 1-Ethyl Ester Ethyl L-octahydroindole-2-carboxylate hydrochloride L-Norvaline Perindopril Impurity 23 PERINDOPRIL ACYL-B-D-GLUCURONIDE (2S,3aR,7aS)-1H-Octahydroindole-2-carboxylic acid hydrochloride Perindopril Related CoMpound E D-Octahydroindole-2-carboxylic acid-HCl 2165676-00-4 (2S,3aS,7aS)-1-[(2S)-2-[[(1S)-1-(Ethoxycarbonyl)butyl]aMino]-1-oxopropyl]octahydro-1H-indole-2-carboxylic Acid Benzyl Ester (R)OCTAHYDRO-1H-INDOLE-2-CARBOXYLIC ACID Perindopril Impurity 11 Pentanamide, 2-amino- Perindopril EP Impurity L
- Company Name:Shandong Ono Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:0539-6362799（To 20）
- Company Name:Shanghai Worldyang Chemical Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai lian lu industrial co., LTD Gold
- Tel:18616369749 021-57937586-
- Company Name:卡托研究化学公司 Gold
- Tel:4000-868-328 020-81215950-
- Company Name:ChemStrong Scientific Co.,Ltd Gold
- Tel:15920483169 0755-66853366-