ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Oxides and peroxides > Metal oxide > Tungsten trioxide
Tungsten trioxide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:1470-1475 °C
- Boiling point:1837°C (estimate)
- Density 7.16 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- form powder
- Specific Gravity7.16
- color Yellow to greenish-yellow
- Water Solubility insoluble
- Merck 14,9817
- CAS DataBase Reference1314-35-8(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceTungsten trioxide(1314-35-8)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemTungsten trioxide (1314-35-8)
Tungsten trioxide Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionTungsten trioxide is a chemical compound consisting of oxygen and the transition metal tungsten. It occurs naturally but rarely in the form of hydrates in some kinds of minerals. It has various applications. In industry, it can be used for making x-ray screen phosphors, fireproofing fabrics and gas sensors as well as a pigment in ceramics and paints. It can also be used for the preparation of electrochromic windows or smart windows. In addition, it can be used in semiconductors. It, together with titanium dioxide, has the potential to become an efficient photo-catalyst under visible light irradiation. Recent study has shown that mesoporous tungsten trioxide polyaniline nanocomposite can be used as an anode material for high-performance lithium-ion batteries.
- ReferencesMomeni, Mohamad Mohsen, and Yousef Ghayeb. "Photochemical deposition of platinum on titanium dioxide–tungsten trioxide nanocomposites: an efficient photocatalyst under visible light irradiation." Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics 27.2 (2016): 1062- 1069.
Li, Bin, et al. "Mesoporous Tungsten Trioxide Polyaniline Nanocomposite as an Anode Material for High‐Performance Lithium‐ Ion Batteries."ChemNanoMat 2.4 (2016): 281-289.
Hunge, Y. M., et al. "Photoelectrocatalytic degradation of methyl blue using sprayed WO3 thin films." Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics 27.2 (2016): 1629-1635.
Albalshi, Madleen Ahmad Mohammad. Electrochemical properties of Sol-gel WO3 films Co-doped with Ti and Zn. Diss. 2016.
- Chemical PropertiesCanary-yellow, heavy powder, darkorange when heated and regains original color on cooling. Insoluble in water, soluble in caustic alkalies, soluble with difficulty in acids. Noncombustible.
- Physical propertiesHeavy yellow powder; turns dark orange on heating; reverts back to yellow on cooling; density 7.2 g/cm3; melts at 1,472°C; insoluble in water; slightly soluble in acids; soluble in caustic alkalies.
- Usesmanufacture of tungstates which are used for x-ray screens and for fireproofing fabrics.
- UsesTungsten oxide (WO3) is used to make tungsten alloys. Tungsten oxide is also used as fireproofing for various surfaces and is used as a yellow pigment in ceramics.
- PreparationTungsten trioxide is obtained as an intermediate in recovery of tungsten from its minerals (See Tungsten). In commerical processes tungstic acid, H2WO4, obtained from the mineral scheelite, may either be decomposed at high temperatures to form trioxide or dissolved in ammonium hydroxide solution and evaporated to yield ammonium paratungstate (APT) crystals, 5 (NH4)2O?12WO3?11H2O. The APT crystals are then washed, dried, and calcined at elevated temperatures to form tungsten trioxide
Tungsten trioxide, in general, can be made by heating metallic tungsten, its carbides, its lower oxides, or tungstic acid in air.
- HazardToxic material.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion. Can react violently with ClF3, Li, Cl2. See also TUNGSTEN COMPOUNDS.
Tungsten trioxide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Molybdenum trioxide Chromium(III) oxide Arsenic(III) oxide Chromium(VI) oxide Sulfur trioxide Aluminum oxide Tungsten BARIUM STRONTIUM TUNGSTEN OXIDE BARIUM YTTRIUM TUNGSTEN OXIDE Phosphotungstic acid hydrate Phosphotungstic acid 44-hydrate SODIUM METATUNGSTATE CADMIUM BOROTUNGSTATE SODIUM PHOSPHOTUNGSTATE AMMONIUM PHOSPHOTUNGSTATE TRIHYDRATE SODIUM DODECATUNGSTOPHOSPHATE HYDRATE BARIUM CALCIUM TUNGSTEN OXIDE 99.9% PHOSPHOTUNGSTIC ACID HEMATOXYLIN
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Company Name:Shanghai Yunfu Nano Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:INTATRADE GmbH
- Tel:+49 3493/605464
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801