ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Oxides and peroxides > Metal oxide > Tricobalt tetraoxide
Tricobalt tetraoxide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:895 °C (dec.)(lit.)
- Boiling point:3800°C
- Density 6.11 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- form powder
- color Dark Gray
- Specific Gravity6.11
- Water Solubility Soluble in acids and alkalis. Insoluble in water.
- Merck 14,2429
- CAS DataBase Reference1308-06-1(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceCobalt oxide(1308-06-1)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemCobalt tetraoxide (1308-06-1)
- Language:EnglishProvider:Cobalt (+2) cobaltic (+3) oxide
Tricobalt tetraoxide Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionCobalt Oxide (II, III) is a kind oxide of cobalt. It has applications in enamels, semiconductors, grinding wheels. As an important inorganic material, it can be used in catalysis, superconductors, ceramics and other fields. It can also be used as catalyst and catalyst carrier, as electrode active material, for glass, porcelain colorants and pigments, as chemical industry oxidant and as a catalyst for organic synthesis, in senior goggles and other filter materials, in temperature and gas sensors, in electronic ceramics, in lithium ion battery electrode materials, magnetic materials, electrochromic devices, enamels, solar energy absorbers. Cobalt oxide nanoparticles can readily enter cells, and have the potential to be used for hyperthermic treatment, gene therapy and drug delivery. It is more commonly applied for energy storage such as Lithium-ion battery. It may also be used as a gas sensor in sensing toluene, acetone and some other toxic vapors.
- PreparationTricobalt tetroxide is obtained when cobalt(II) carbonate, cobalt(II) or cobalt(III) oxide, or cobalt hydroxide oxide, CoO(OH) is heated in air at temperatures above 265°C. The temperature must not exceed 800°C (see decomposition temperature above).
- ReactionsHeating above 900°C expels oxygen out of the molecule forming cobalt(II) oxide:
2Co3O4 6CoO + O2
Tricobalt tetroxide absorbs oxygen at lower temperatures, but there is no change in the crystal structure.)
The oxide is reduced to its metal by hydrogen, carbon or carbon monoxide.
Co3O4 + 4H2 3Co + 4H2O
Co3O4 + 4CO 3Co + 4CO2
- Chemical PropertiesBlack fine powder
- Physical propertiesBlack cubic crystal; density 6.11 g/cm3; decomposes above 900°C, losing oxygen; insoluble in water; soluble in acids and alkalis.
- UsesIn enamels; in semiconductors; in grinding wheels.
Tricobalt tetraoxide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Company Name:Sinopharm Chemical Reagent Co,Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Langfang pengcai fine chemical co., ltd. Gold
- Tel:18911125634 0316-2132008-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:future industrial shanghai co., ltd
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar