ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Rare Earth Metals Oxides > Lanthanum oxide
Lanthanum oxide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:2315 °C
- Boiling point:4200 °C
- Density 6.51 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- Flash point:4200°C
- storage temp. no restrictions.
- form nanopowder
- color White to yellow
- Specific Gravity6.51
- PH9.0 (50g/l, H2O, 20℃)(slurry)
- Water Solubility INSOLUBLE
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,5363
- CAS DataBase Reference1312-81-8(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemLanthanum oxide (La2O3) (1312-81-8)
Lanthanum oxide Usage And Synthesis
- UsesLanthanum Oxide, also called Lanthana, high purity Lanthanum Oxide (99.99% to 99.999%) is applied in making special optical glasses to improves the alkali resistance of glass, and is used in La-Ce-Tb phosphors for fluorescent lamps and making special optical glasses, such as infrared-absorbing glass, as well as camera and telescope lenses, Low grade of Lanthanum Oxide is widely used in ceramics and FCC catalyst, and also as raw material for Lanthanum Metal production; Lanthanum Oxide is also used as a grain growth additive during the liquid phase sintering of Silicon Nitride and Zirconium Diboride.
- Chemical Propertieswhite powder
- Physical propertiesWhite amorphous powder; density 6.51 g/cm3; melts at 2,305°C; vaporizes at 4,200°C; insoluble in water; dissolves in dilute mineral acids.
- UsesLanthanum oxide is used to make high-quality glass, ceramics, carbon-arc electrodes, and fluorescent lamps.
- PreparationLanthanum oxide can be produced by direct combustion of lanthanum in oxygen or air. The oxide also may be prepared by decomposition of an oxo salt of lanthanum, such as nitrate, sulfate, carbonate, hydroxide or oxalate.
La(CO3)3•8H2O → La2O3 + 3CO2 + 8H2O
2La2(C2O4)3•9H2O + 3O2 → 2La2O3 + 12CO2 + 18H2O
- Industrial usesLanthanum oxide (La2O3) has a melting pointof 2250°C, is soluble in acids, and very slightlysoluble in water. This oxide of a rare earth elementoccurs in monazite and bastnasite. It ismarketed as the oxide or as other salts such asthe oxalate, nitrate, or hydrate. It quicklyabsorbs water and CO2 from the atmosphere.Its chief use is as an ingredient in nonsilica,rare element optical glass with oxides of tungsten, tantalum, and thorium. Lanthanumincreases refractive index, decreases dispersion,and is also used in x-ray image intensifyingscreens that speed up x-ray exposure asmuch as two to ten times so that diagnosticdosages may be reduced by as much as 80%with fewer retakes. It is also used in bariumtitanate capacitors.
Lanthanum oxide Preparation Products And Raw materials
Lanthanum oxide SupplierMore
- Company Name:Tianjin Seventeen Element Technology Co. LTD Gold
- Tel:13611222737 400-0041117-
- Company Name:Wuhan Greatwall chemical Co,.LTD Gold
- Tel:18086000087 400-027-6116
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted Gold
- Tel:18516978288 0757-86329057-
- Company Name:Shandong zhuoxing new material co., ltd Gold
- Company Name:Shandong Desheng New Material Co. Ltd Gold
- Tel:18905378699 400-0272677-