ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Oxides and peroxides > Metal oxide > TIN(II) OXIDE
TIN(II) OXIDE Chemical Properties
- Melting point:1080 °C
- Density 6,95 g/cm3
- storage temp. Store at RT.
- form powder
- color Blue-black
- Specific Gravity6.95
- Water Solubility Insoluble in water, and alcohol.
- Hydrolytic Sensitivity4: no reaction with water under neutral conditions
- Merck 14,8787
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong acids, strong bases.
- CAS DataBase Reference21651-19-4(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemStannous oxide (21651-19-4)
- Safety Statements 24/25
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS XQ3700000
- TSCA Yes
- HS Code 28259085
TIN(II) OXIDE Usage And Synthesis
- Physical PropertiesBluish-black powder; tetragonal crystals; density 6.45 g/cm3; decomposes at 1,080°C; insoluble in water; dissolves in acids to form Sn2+ and in base to form stannite ion, Sn(OH)3–.
- UsesTin(II) oxide is a reducing agent; and is used in preparing other tin(II) salts. Also, it is used to make soft abrasive putty powder.
- PreparationTin(II) oxide is prepared by heating tin(II) hydroxide. The latter is obtained as a white precipitate by reacting Sn2+ ions with hydroxide ions:
Sn2+(aq) + 2OH¯(aq) → Sn(OH)2 (s)
- Chemical Propertiesblack crystals with a characteristic odour. Tin oxide is insoluble in water but soluble in acids and alkalis and slightly soluble in ammonium chloride. Tin oxide is incompatible with acids and/or alkalis.
- UsesReducing agent; preparation of stannous salts.
- UsesTin(II) oxide is used as reducing agent, soft abrasive, and in preparation of stannous salts. It is used in the manufacture of copper ruby glass, and for illumination with UV light.
- General DescriptionBrownish-black powder or black to blue-black crystalline solid. Mp: 1080°C (decomposes); density: 6.45 g cm-3. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileTIN(II) OXIDE is a reducing agent. Unstable in air due to slow oxidation to tin(IV) oxide. At 300°C this oxidation proceeds incandescently. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents. Reacts with acids and with strong bases.
TIN(II) OXIDE Preparation Products And Raw materials
RHENIUM (VI) OXIDE DIETHYLPHOSPHINE OXIDE Cobalt oxide Pigment Yellow 42 Tungsten trioxide Titanium dioxide Rutile Lead monoxide IRON (II) OXIDE Cuprous oxide Barium oxide Erbium(III) oxide Strontium oxide Zinc oxide Nickel oxide Zirconium dioxide Gadolinium oxide Lanthanum oxide
- Company Name:Henan Jiuke Chemical Co. LTD Gold
- Tel:17303700913 0370-2071226-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:+86-18621169078 +86-021-61259100
- Company Name:INTATRADE GmbH
- Tel:+49 3493/605464
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar