ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Oxides and peroxides > non-metals oxides and peroxides > Silicon monoxide
Silicon monoxide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:1870 °C
- Boiling point:1880°C
- Density 2.13 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- refractive index 1.9800
- Flash point:1880°C
- form powder
- color Black
- Specific Gravity2.13
- Water Solubility Insoluble in water.
- Hydrolytic Sensitivity1: no significant reaction with aqueous systems
- Merck 14,8496
- CAS DataBase Reference10097-28-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceSilicon monoxide(10097-28-6)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemSilylene, oxo- (10097-28-6)
Silicon monoxide Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiesbrown or black chunks or powder
- Chemical PropertiesSilicon monoxide (SiO) is another oxide of silicon, used rarely in silicon processing but quite often in thin film, hybrid Ie manufacture. It is useful there because no silicon is available for in situ growth of the dioxide, and it is deposited easily by physical vapor deposition, a process quite similar to the vacuum deposition of aluminum described. Usually the condensed oxide is nonstoichiometric, being a mixture of SiO, Si02, and Si; often, it is designated SiOx .The value of x, which ranges between 1 and 2, is influenced by the deposition conditions.
The SiO source material is prepared by heating Si02 with Si, carbon, and hydrogen, or a hydrocarbon, to reduce the dioxide to the monoxide. Reduction takes place at roughly 1000°C, and SiO is formed in the vapor phase. This temperature is much too low to produce a significant vapor pressure of Si02, so the two oxides may be separated. The monoxide vapor is condensed out and subsequently powdered. This material, which is suitable for evaporation, is available commercially and need not be prepared by the IC manufacturer.
- UsesSilicon monoxide (SiO) is a commonly used material for a wide variety of applications with the emphasis on IR multilayer coatings and adhesion promotion. SiO sublimes and should preferably be evaporated from resistance heated boats.
AREAS OF APPLICATION
Multilayer coatings especially for the IR, but also the VIS range
Adhesion promoter (VIS, NIR)
Electronics: dielectric, insulating and protective layers
Design: iridescent coatings, colored metallically reflecting coatings e.g. on sun glasses
Web coating: barrier layers on polymer films
- UsesTo form thin surface films for protection of alu- minum coatings, optical parts, mirrors, dielectrics, or insulators.
Silicon monoxide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- MULLITE DIMETHYLSILOXANE, PROPYLENE OXIDE/ETHYLENE OXIDE BLOCK COPOLYMER CHROMIUM SILICON MONOXIDE, 99.85+% (METALS BASIS),CHROMIUM SILICON MONOXIDE SILICON OXIDE, CATALYST SUPPORT, LOW SURFACE AREA PHENYLTRIACETOXYSILANE DIMETHYLSILOXANE, PROPYLENE OXIDE/ETHYLENE OXIDE BLOCK COPOLYMER NICKEL-CHROMIUM-SILICON MONOXIDE tris(Trimethylsilyloxy)silanol Chromium silicon monoxide, 99.8+% (metals basis),CHROMIUM SILICON MONOXIDE Silica, fumed SILICON OXIDE, CATALYST SUPPORT, HIGH SURFACE AREA Silica glass CHROMIUM SILICON MONOXIDE,CHROMIUM SILICON MONOXIDE, 99.9% (METALS BASIS) CARBON MONOXIDE silicon Silicon monoxide Quartz Silicon Rubber
- Company Name:HENGSHUI HAOYE CHEMICAL CO.,LTD. Gold
- Tel:18632882519 0318-2102300-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar