ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Oxides and peroxides > Metal oxide > Tantalum pentoxide
Tantalum pentoxide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:1872 °C
- Density 8.2 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- storage temp. Sealed in dry,Room Temperature
- form lumps
- color White to white-beige
- Specific Gravity8.2
- Water Solubility Insoluble in water.
- Merck 14,9056
- CAS DataBase Reference1314-61-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemTantalum oxide (Ta2O5) (1314-61-0)
Tantalum pentoxide Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertieswhite to white-beige powder
- Chemical PropertiesTantalum pentoxide, Ta2O5, is a white powder existing in two thermodynamically stable modifications. The orthorombic b-phase changes at 1,360 °C (2,480 °F) into the tetragonal a-modification. The existence of an e-modification has also been reported. Tantalum pentoxide reacts slowly with hot hydrofluoric acid but is insoluble in water and in most solutions of acids and alkalies. For analytical purposes, it can be dissolved by fusion with alkali hydroxides, alkali carbonates, and potassium pyrosulfate.
- Physical propertiesWhite orthorhombic crystal or powder; density 8.20 g/cm3; melts at 1,785°C; insoluble in water, ethanol and practically all acids; soluble in hydrofluoric acid; solubilized by fusion with caustic potash or potassium hydrogen sulfate.
- UsesTantalum oxide is used to make optical glass for lenses and in electronic circuits.
- UsesTantalum pentoxide (Ta2O5) is used to make special optical glass, for lasers, and in electronic circuits.
- UsesTantalum pentoxide is used in making high refractive index optical glass; as a dielectric film on tantalum for its use as a capacitor component and rectifier; and for preparing tantalum metal, its carbide, and many other tantalum compounds.
- PreparationTantalum pentoxide is obtained as an intermediate in extracting tantalum from the columbite-tantalite series of minerals. Also, the oxide can be made by heating Ta metal in oxygen or air at elevated temperatures.
- HazardTLV: 5 mg/m3.
- Safety ProfileMildly toxic by ingestion. Incompatible with ClF3, BrF3, Li. See also TANTALUM.
Tantalum pentoxide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Platinum(IV) oxide Digold trioxide RHENIUM(IV) OXIDE Silver oxide Gadolinium oxide Tetraterbium heptaoxide Titanium dioxide Neodymium oxide Palladium(II) oxide Praseodymium oxide Rhodium oxide Ruthenium dioxide RHENIUM(VII) OXIDE RHODIUM (IV) OXIDE Indium(III) oxide Terbium oxide Strontium oxide Magnesium oxide
- Company Name:Hunan Chuangrun Mineral Resources Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Yunfu Nano Technology Co., Ltd Gold
- Company Name:Guangzhou Nano Chemical Technology Co. , Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13378454871 020-82035132-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-