ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Oxides and peroxides > Metal oxide > Nickel oxide
Nickel oxide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:decomposes at ~600℃ [CRC10]
- Density 4.83
- form gray-black cubic crystals
- Water Solubility insoluble H2O; very slightly soluble cold acid; dissolves in hot HCl releasing Cl2; dissolves in hot H2SO4 or HNO3 evolving O2 [MER06]
- CAS DataBase Reference1314-06-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemNickel(III) oxide (1314-06-3)
Nickel oxide Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiessolid
- UsesStorage batteries.
- UsesNickel oxide (NiO) is produced from nickel minerals to form nickel oxide when heated to 400°C, which is then reduced at a temperature of 600°C, resulting in the formation of nickel oxide. It is used as electrodes in fuel cells.
- UsesNickel oxide is used in the ceramic industry for making frit, ferrites, and coloring porcelain. The oxide in sinter form is used in the production of nickel-steel alloys. It supplies oxygen to the melt for removal of carbon as carbon dioxide. Some other important uses of nickel oxide include preparation of many nickel salts, specialty chemicals, and nickel catalysts. It also is used as an electrode in fuel cells.
- Uses▼▲IndustryApplicationRole/benefitChemical manufactureManufacture of nickel salts and other nickle compoundsSource of nickelManufacture of metallic nickelManufacture of nickel steel alloysCeramic pigmentsColoring of ceramics and glassNiO-based black ceramic pigmentsElectrical cellNickel-iron batteryActive material of negative electrodeNi-Cd rechargeable batteriesNi-MH batteryActive material of positive electrodeTandem solar cellPhotocathodes materialElectronicElectrochromic devicesAnodic electrochromic materialOthersHydrogenation reactionCatalyst
- HazardConfirmed carcinogen.
- Industrial usesNickel produces a bluish-violet in potash glasses and a violet tending toward brown in soda glasses. Nickel rates as one of the more powerful colorants, since 1 part in 50,000 produces a recognizable tint. Nickel oxide is sometimes used to decolorize potash glass. Nickel oxide and nickel silicate have an advantage over manganese dioxide for decolorizing purposes in that they are not as sensitive in changing oxidizing and reducing environments.
- Safety ProfileConfirmed human carcinogen. Poison by subcutaneous route. Mutation data reported. Hazardous reaction with hydrogen peroxide. Presence of the oxide increases the sensitivity of nitroalkanes (e.g., nitromethane, nitroethane, 1 -nitropropane) to heat. See also NICKEL COMPOUNDS and PEROXIDES.
Nickel oxide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- NICKEL OXIDE (NIO) 99.995% 25G NICKEL OXIDE 2 NICKEL OXIDE 1 Manganese nickel oxide C.I. Pigment Black 11 NICKEL(II) HYDROXIDE Nickel(II) oxide nickel Yttrium oxide Bismuth trioxide Dititanium trioxide Boron oxide Iron oxide black Nickel peroxide Nickel oxide GERMAN SILVER Phosphorus trioxide Nickel as nickel oxide, nickel sulfide and sulfide ores,Nickel oxide, carbonate and other compounds (as Ni) (total dust)
- Company Name:Langfang pengcai fine chemical co., ltd. Gold
- Tel:17301291189 0316-2132008-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Beijing dtftchem Technology Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted
- Tel:18600197062 0757-86329057-
- Company Name:Beijing Ouhe Technology Co., Ltd
- Tel:13552068683 010-82967028-