ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Rare Earth Metals Oxides > Yttrium oxide
Yttrium oxide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:2410 °C
- Boiling point:81-83 °C
- Density 5.01 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- Flash point:12 °C
- storage temp. Storage temperature: no restrictions.
- form nanopowder
- color White
- Specific Gravity5.01
- Water Solubility Insoluble
- Sensitive Air Sensitive
- Merck 14,10107
- CAS DataBase Reference1314-36-9(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemYttrium oxide (Y2O3) (1314-36-9)
Yttrium oxide Usage And Synthesis
- Physical PropertiesWhite powder; body-centered cubic structure; density 5.03 g/cm3; melts at 2,436°C; insoluble in water; soluble in dilute acids.
- UsesYttrium Oxide, also called Yttria, high purity Yttrium Oxides are the most important materials for tri-bands Rare Earth phosphors which give the red colour in colour television & computer tubes. In optical industry, the Yttrium Oxide is used to produce Yttrium-Iron-Garnets, which are very effective microwave filters. Low purity of Yttrium Oxide are widely applied in electronic ceramics. It is widely used to make Eu:YVO4 and Eu:Y2O3 phosphors that give the red color in color TV picture tubes.
Also, it is used in gas mantles and acetylene lights. Other uses are in yttriumiron garnets for microwave filters in lasers, and as a stabilizer for high temperature in refractories.
- PreparationYttrium oxide is produced as an intermediate in recovery of yttrium from xenotime and monazite (See Yttrium, Recovery). The oxide is produced after separation of rare earth sulfates obtained from digesting the mineral with sulfuric acid on a cation exchange bed, precipitating yttrium fraction as oxalate, and igniting the oxalate at 750°C.
Yttrium oxide also may be obtained by thermal decomposition of yttrium nitrate.
- Chemical Propertieswhite powder(s) or sintered tablets and pieces of 99.9% purity; bcc; readily absorbs atmospheric CO2; enthalpy of fusion 105.00 kJ/mol; used in crucible form for experimental, proprietary melting, also sintered pieces used as evaporation material for hard film dielectric coating and thin film capacitors, and as 99.999%, 99.99%, 99.9% pure sputtering target for preparing hard films, dielectric coatings, and thin film capacitor [CER91] [MER06] [CRC10]
- Uses▼▲IndustryApplicationRole/benefitGas lightingManufacture of gas mantlesEffective component/has extremely high temperature stabilityInorganic synthesisManufacture of Yttrium compoundsRaw material/source of YttriumCeramicManufacture of pure ceramicRaw material or additive/has extremely high temperature stability and outstanding resistance to alkaline meltsManufacture of other ceramic material (Si3N4, AlN, ZrO2, etc.)Multilayer ceramic capacitorsDisplay materialsColor TV picture tubesAdditive material/used as raw material to make Eu:YVO4 and Eu:Y2O3 phosphors that give the red colorField-emission displaysPlasma display panelsFlat-panel displaysCathode ray tube screensInsulatorInsulator coatingEffective component/extremely thermodynamically stable and resistant to many reactive molten metalsLaminated insulatorNuclear technologyCoating material for graphite in nuclear technologyMain component/extremely thermodynamically stableDiluting uranium oxide for nuclear fuel rodsDiluting agent/ Yttrium oxide can form a solid solution with uranium oxideRefractoryCoating material for high-temperature applicationsMain component/extremely thermodynamically stableOthersManufacture of steel, non-ferrous alloys and ironAdditive/extremely thermodynamically stableManufacture of IR and UV translucent glassManufacture of high-temperature superconductorsPreparation of permanent magnetsAdditiveProspective solid-state laser materialDopant / lasers with ytterbium allow the efficient operation both in continuous operation and in pulsed regimesMaking Yttrium iron garnets for powerful microwave filtersRaw material/source of YttriumUltrafast sensors used in g-ray and x-raysAdditivePaints and plasticsAdditive/decreases UV degradation
- Safety ProfileA poison by intraperitoneal route. See also YTTRIUM and RARE EARTHS.
Yttrium oxide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- YTTERBIUM OXIDE Silver oxide 4,4,5A-TRIMETHYLPERHYDRO-1-BENZOXIREN-2-ONE Silver oxide Magnesium oxide NITRIC OXIDE Propylene oxide DL-α-Tocopherol Zinc oxide 4-(Diethylamino)salicylaldehyde Pralmorelin 5-Chlorovaleric acid Cuprous oxide Yttrium europium oxide ETHYLENEDIAMINE TETRAKIS(PROPOXYLATE-BLOCK-ETHOXYLATE) TETROL YTTRIUM BARIUM COPPER OXIDE (1-2-4) CERIUM(IV) OXIDE-YTTRIA YTTRIUM BARIUM COPPER OXIDE (1-2-3)
- Company Name:Tianjin Seventeen Element Technology Co. LTD Gold
- Tel:13611222737 400-0041117-
- Company Name:Adamas Reagent, Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted Gold
- Tel:18516978288 0757-86329057-
- Company Name:Shanghai Yichang Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13472573725 021-56145923-
- Company Name:Shanghai Yunfu Nano Technology Co., Ltd Gold