ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal halide and Halogen salt > Metal chlorides and salt > Lithium chloride
- Product Name:Lithium chloride
- Synonyms: LITHIUM CHLORIDE GRAN lithium atomic spectroscopy standard concentrate 1.00 g li lithium chloride, acs lithium chloride, ultra dry lithium ion standard solution LITHIUMCHLORIDE,CRYSTAL,REAGENT,ACS LITHIUMCHLORIDE,POWDER,REAGENT,ACS Lithiumchlorid
- Product Categories: - Inorganics LITHIUM COMPOUNDS Classes of Metal Compounds Li (Lithium) Compounds Typical Metal Compounds ACS GradeSynthetic Reagents Essential Chemicals BioUltraProtein Structural Analysis DNA&RNA Purification Molecular Biology Molecular Biology Reagents Optimization ReagentsMolecular Biology Reagents X-Ray Crystallography Crystal Grade Inorganics Lithium Salts LithiumMetal and Ceramic Science Metal and Ceramic Science Salts Inorganic Salts Lithium Synthetic Reagents Cell Separation (Centrifugation) MediaEssential Chemicals Hematology and Histology Reagent Plus Routine Reagents LithiumMolecular Biology Plant Nucleic Acid Purification Chemical Synthesis ReagentsPlant Molecular Biology Optimization Reagents Analytical Reagents for General Use E-L, Puriss p.a. ACS Puriss p.a. ACS metal halide Lithium Salts Ceramic Science Crystal Grade Inorganics Materials Science Metal & Metal and Ceramic Science New Products for Materials Research and Engineering 3: Li Beaded Materials Inorganic Salts Synthetic Reagents Pyridines
- Mol File:7447-41-8.mol
Lithium chloride Chemical Properties
- Melting point:605 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:1382°C
- Density 2.06
- vapor pressure 1.33 hPa (547 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:-4 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility H2O: soluble
- form beads
- color White to gray
- Specific Gravity2.068
- PH5.5-7.5 (25℃, 50mg/mL in H2O)
- Water Solubility 832 g/L (20 ºC)
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- λmaxλ: 260 nm Amax: 0.01
λ: 280 nm Amax: 0.01
- Merck 14,5528
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong acids, bromine trichloride, bromine trifluoride. Very hygroscopic. Protect from moisture.
- CAS DataBase Reference7447-41-8(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceLithium chloride(7447-41-8)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemLithium chloride (LiCl)(7447-41-8)
- Hazard Codes F,Xn,C,Xi
- Risk Statements 11-36/38-22-36/37/38-35-10-36/37-19-63-20/21/22-62-41-40
- Safety Statements 26-37/39-36/37/39-16-36-45-33-29-22-36/37
- RIDADR UN 2789 8/PG 2
- WGK Germany 1
- RTECS OJ5950000
- F 3-10
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 8
- PackingGroup III
- HS Code 28273980
- Hazardous Substances Data7447-41-8(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 in mice (mg/kg): 990 i.p.; in rats (mg/kg): 600 i.p., 4.8 i.v. (Wielosz).
Lithium chloride Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesWhite cubic crystals; granules or powder; hygroscopic; sharp salt-like taste; refractive index 1.662; density 2.068 g/cm3; melts at 605°C; vaporizes around 1,360°C; readily dissolves in water (64g/100mL at 0°C); also highly soluble in alcohol and pyridine; moderately soluble in acetone (4.1 g/100mL at 25°C).
It dehumidifies air for industrial drying and for air conditioning. Lithium chloride bums with a chrims on flame and is used in pyrotechnics. It is also used as a pyrotechnic in welding and brazing fluxes.
- Usesmanufacture of mineral waters; in pyrotechnics; soldering aluminum; in refrigerating machines.
- UsesLithium chloride is used as an antidepressant, especially in the treatment of manic depression and bipolar disorders.
- DefinitionChEBI: A metal chloride salt with a Li(+) counterion.
- PreparationLithium chloride may be prepared by reaction of lithium carbonate or lithium hydroxide with hydrochloric acid followed by crystallization:
Li2CO3+ 2HCl →2LiCl + CO2+ H2O LiOH + HCl →LiCl + H2O
Crystallization above 95°C yields anhydrous salt. Hot solution upon cooling forms crystals of monohydrate, LiCl.H2O.
Lithium chloride can be synthesized from its elements by heating lithium metal with chlorine gas. It also may be obtained from natural brine.
- General DescriptionColorless crystals or powder. Low toxicity.
- Air & Water ReactionsVery hygroscopic. Very soluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileThese materials have weak oxidizing or reducing powers. Redox reactions can however still occur. For example, CO2, which is often regarded as chemically inert, vigorously oxidizes the strong reducing agent Mg if the two are heated together. The majority of compounds in this class are slightly soluble or insoluble in water. If soluble in water, then the solutions are usually neither strongly acidic nor strongly basic. These compounds are not water-reactive. Some do react with acids: carbonates generate carbon dioxide and heat when treated with acids; fluorides, sulfites and sulfides generate toxic gases (hydrogen fluoride, sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide, respectively) when treated with acids.
- Fire HazardFlash point data for Lithium chloride are not available. Lithium chloride is probably combustible.
- Safety ProfileHuman poison by ingestion. Experimental poison by intravenous and intracerebral routes. Moderately toxic by subcutaneous and intraperitoneal routes. Experimental teratogenic and reproductive effects. Human systemic effects by ingestion: somnolence, tremors, nausea or vomiting. An eye and severe skin irritant. Human mutation data reported. Questionable carcinogen with experimental neoplastigenic data. This material has been recommended and used as a substitute for sodwm chloride in "saltfree" diets, but cases have been reported in which the ingestion of lithium chloride has produced dminess, ringing in the ears, visual disturbances, tremors, and mental confusion. In most cases, the symptoms disappeared when use was discontinued. Prolonged absorption may cause disturbed electrolyte balance, impaired renal function. Reaction is violent with BrF3. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of Cl-. Used for dehumidification in the air conditioning industry. Also used to obtain lithum metal. See also LITHIUM COMPOUNDS.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise it from water (1mL/g) or MeOH and dry it for several hours at 130o. Other metal ions can be removed by preliminary crystallisation from hot aqueous 0.01M disodium EDTA. It has also been crystallised from conc HCl, fused in an atmosphere of dry HCl gas, cooled under dry N2 and pulverised in a dry-box. Kolthoff and Bruckenstein [J Am Chem Soc 74 2529 1952] precipitated it with ammonium carbonate, washed it with Li2CO3 five times by decantation and finally with suction, then dissolved it in HCl. The LiCl solution is evaporated slowly with continuous stirring in a large evaporating dish, the dry powder being stored (while still hot) in a desiccator over CaCl2.
Lithium chloride Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsLitium2,5-DIMETHYL-1,3-OXAZOLE-4-CARBALDEHYDEDiphenylacetylene(2,5-DIMETHYL-1,3-OXAZOL-4-YL)METHANOL2-Chloro-6-fluorophenylacetic acidMETHYL 2-CHLORO-6-FLUOROPHENYLACETATE1-(3-AMINO-PYRIDIN-2-YL)-ETHANONE5-CHLORO-2'-DEOXYURIDINE[1,1'-Bis(diphenylphosphino)ferrocene]dichloropalladium(II)3,5-DIMETHOXYPHENYLACETIC ACIDMethyl 3-cyclopentenecarboxylate5-Hydroxymethylpyrrolidin-2-one5-AMINOMETHYL-PYRROLIDIN-2-ONE3-CHLORO-4-((CYCLOPROPYLAMINO)METHYL)BENZALDEHYDE1,3-CYCLOHEXADIENE1-(3-CHLORO-4-((CYCLOPROPYLAMINO)METHYL)PHENYL)ETHANONEoptical plastics based on coplymer of diene macromolecule6-Chlorooxindole5-Fluoro-2-oxindoleMn(Ⅲ)salen epoxidation catalystLITHIUM DICHROMATEHalobetasol propionateMometasone furoate
- Raw materialsHydrochloric acidLithium carbonateLithium hydroxide
- Lithium fluoride LITHIUM CHLORIDE 1-HYDRATE,LITHIUM CHLORIDE HYDRATE,LITHIUM CHLORIDE MONOHYDRATE,Lithium chloride,crystal ISOPROPYLMAGNESIUM CHLORIDE - LITHIUM CHLORIDE COMPLEX,Isopropylmagnesium chloride - Lithium chloride complexca. 14% solution in THFAcroSeal§3,ISOPROPYLMAGNESIUM CHLORIDE-LITHIUM CHLORIDE,Isopropylmagnesium chloride - Lithium chloride complex, ca 14% solution in THF Lithium-6Li chloride GLUCOSAMINE SULFATE LITHIUM CHLORIDE Lithium chloride/potassium chloride, eutectic, anhydrous, beads, 99.99% metals basis,LITHIUM CHLORIDE/POTASSIUM CHLORIDE EUTECTIC,LITHIUM CHLORIDE-POTASSIUM CHLORIDE Sodium chloride Polyvinyl chloride Potassium chloride Acetyl chloride Choline chloride Calcium chloride Benzyl chloride Ammonium chloride LITHIUM ION CHROMATOGRAPHY STANDARD,LITHIUM, ION CHROMATOGRAPHY STANDARD SOLUTION Methylene Chloride CHLORIDE STANDARD Lithium
- Company Name:Shanghai Macklin Biochemical Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Company Name:Shandong Yinglang Chemical Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Huayu Industrial Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Chengdu RunZeBenTu Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:028-88469284 18000562381