ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Carboxylic acids and esters > Aromatic carboxylic acid ester > Ethyl benzoate
Ethyl benzoate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-34 °C
- Boiling point:212 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.045 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 5.17 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 1 mm Hg ( 44 °C)
- FEMA 2422 | ETHYL BENZOATE
- refractive index n
- Flash point:184 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility 0.5g/l
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless to pale yellow
- Relative polarity0.228
- explosive limit1%(V)
- Water Solubility INSOLUBLE
- JECFA Number852
- Merck 14,3766
- BRN 1908172
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference93-89-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceBenzoic acid, ethyl ester(93-89-0)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemBenzoic acid, ethyl ester (93-89-0)
Ethyl benzoate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionEthyl benzoate, C9H10O2, is the ester formed by the condensation of benzoic acid and ethanol. It is a colorless liquid that is almost insoluble in water, but miscible with most organic solvents.
As with many volatile esters, ethyl benzoate has a pleasant odor which could be described similar to wintergreen mint. It is a component of some artificial fruit flavors.
- Chemical PropertiesEthyl benzoate has a somewhat fruity odor similar to ylang-ylang, but milder than methyl benzoate
- Chemical Propertiescolourless liquid with an aromatic odour
- OccurrenceReported found in volatiles from hard, mature peaches, pineapple and currant. Also reported found in apple juice, banana, guava, cranberry, raspberry, sweet cherry, Parmesan cheese, butter, milk, white wine, red wine, cider, whiskies, cocoa, black tea, fresh plum, apple brandy, cherry brandy, Bourbon vanilla, naranjilla fruit, ceriman or pinanona, pimento berry, olive and passion fruit.
- UsesEthyl Benzoate acts as an aroma and flavour compound due to the volatile ester group in its structure.
- UsesIn perfumery under the name Essence de Niobe; in manufacture of Peau d'Espagne; artificial fruit essence.
- PreparationBy esterification of ethyl alcohol and benzoic acid in the presence of anhydrous aluminum sulfate and a trace of sulfuric acid; by transesterification of methyl benzoate with ethanol in the presence of potassium ethylate
- Aroma threshold valuesDetection: 100 ppb; recognition: 150 ppb
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 30 ppm: sweet, medicinal, green, minty, fruity, birch beer and wintergreen-like.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion. Mildly toxic by skin contact. A skin and eye irritant. Combustible liquid when exposed to heat or flame; can react with oxidizing materials. To fight fire, use foam, CO2, dry chemical. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also ESTERS
Ethyl benzoate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Emamectin benzoate Ethyl 4-dimethylaminobenzoate Sodium benzoate Ethyl cellulose Ethyl acetate Ethyl acrylate BENZOICACID Dodecyl gallate Thymolphthalein Complexone Ethyl 2-hydroxybenzoate Octyl gallate alpha,alpha-dicyanobenzyl benzoate Propyl gallate TETRAIODOPHENOLPHTHALEIN Ethyl 4-fluorobenzoate Ethyl 3,4-dihydroxybenzoate Ethyl benzoate Ethylparaben
- Company Name:Shanghai Dingfen Chemical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Wuhan Georui Aijiete Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Jiulin Industrial Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-