ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Thioethers spices > Dimethyl disulfide
Basic information Chemical Properties Usage Production method Quantity restrictions Toxicity Flammability hazard characteristics storage Fire extinguishing agent Safety Related Supplier
Dimethyl disulfide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-85 °C
- Boiling point:109 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.0625
- vapor density 3.24 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 22 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- FEMA 3536 | DIMETHYL DISULFIDE
- refractive index n
- Flash point:76 °F
- storage temp. Flammables area
- solubility 2.7g/l
- form Liquid
- color Clear yellow
- Specific Gravity1.0647 (20/4℃)
- explosive limit1.1-16.1%(V)
- Odor Threshold0.0022ppm
- Water Solubility <0.1 g/100 mL at 20 ºC
- JECFA Number564
- BRN 1730824
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with strong bases, strong oxidizing agents, strong reducing agents. Flammable.
- CAS DataBase Reference624-92-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceDisulfide, dimethyl(624-92-0)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMethyl disulfide (624-92-0)
- Hazard Codes F,Xn,N,T+
- Risk Statements 11-20/22-36-51/53-36/37/38-26-22-36/37
- Safety Statements 26-61-45-38-36/37/39-28A-16-60-57-39-29
- RIDADR UN 2381 3/PG 2
- WGK Germany 2
- RTECS JO1927500
- Autoignition Temperature304 °C
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 3
- PackingGroup II
- HS Code 29309070
- Hazardous Substances Data624-92-0(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 orally in Rabbit: 290 - 500 mg/kg
Dimethyl disulfide Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesLight yellow transparent liquid, malodorous, insoluble in water, Soluble in ethanol, ethyl ether and acetic acid.
- UsageIn China:
- Methyl disulfide is used as a solvent and pesticide intermediates, fuel and lubricating oil additives and Coking inhibitor for ethylene cracking furnace and oil refining equipment etc. It is the principal raw material for methylsufonyl chloride and methanesulfonic acid products. It is used in the synthesis of 4-Methylthio-M-Cresol which is the intermediate of Fenthion and fenamithion. It is also used in the synthesis of p-Methyl Thiophenol which is the intermediate of sulprofos. It is also used as a purifying agent for solvents and catalysts. It is allowed to be used as a Food Flavoring by GB 2760—1996. Dimethyl disulfide reacted with methylphenol to prouduce 2-methyl-4-hydroxy thioanisole , which condensed with O, O-Dimethyl sulfide phosphorus oxychloride to produce Fenthion. Fenthion is a highly efficient organophosphorus pesticide with low toxicity and it has a good control effect on rice borers, soybean budworm and gadfly larvae. It Also can be used as a veterinary medicine to exterminate Gadfly maggots and cattle ticks.
- DMDS is used as a food additive in onion, garlic, cheese, meats, soups, savory flavors, and fruit flavors.
- In agricural application, prior to planting, DMDS can be either injected beneath the soil surface with specialized
- application equipment or applied to the soil surface through a drip irrigation line. Regardless of
- the application method, the treated area must be covered with a plastic tarp to retain the
- fumigant in the soil to improve efficacy and mitigate odor concerns.
- DMDS can also be used for oil refining and petrochemical industries.
- Petrochemical plants use DMDS dimethyl disulfide) for hydrocracking catalysts sulfiding in refineries.
- DMDS (dimethyl disulfide) is the most common compound used for hydrocracking catalysts sulfiding in refineries.
- DMDS (dimethyl disulfide) in petrochemical is injected continously at low rate in ethylene crackers. It prevents coke formation and mitigates CO formation.
- DMDS is used in the preparation of 4-(methylthio)phenol which is used in the production of various pesticides. DMDS and chlorine are reacted with borontriflouride phenolate to produce 4-(methylthio)phenol. Thiophene and DMDS are blended with combustible hydrocarbon fuel gas to impart a gassy odor to the fuel gas. DMDS is used as a sulfiding reagent to control catalyst activity.
- Production methodDimethyl disulfide can be prepared by the reaction between imethyl sulfate and sodium sulfide. under stirring, sulfur powder was added into sodium sulfide solution. The above reaction system was heated Up to 80-90℃, after reaction for 1 h, cooled to about 30 ℃. Dimethyl sulfate was dropped into the reaction system and the reaction was continued for 2h. Then, distillation, stratification, Separating waste alkali liquor, then through distillation and final products are prepared.
In industry,dimethyl sulfate method is adopted to synthesize dimethyl disulfide. Na2S+S→Na2S2Na2S2+(CH3)2SO4→CH3SSCH3+Na2SO4
Solid sodium sulfide and water are dropped into the reaction kettle , heated , temperature is controlled in the range of the of 50 ～60 ℃, dissolving sodium sulfide, adding equimolar sulfur, remaining the temperature for 1h, cooling to 45℃， dripping dimethyl sulfate into the reaction kettle, remaining the temperature for 1h, then through distillation dimethyl sulfate can be prepared.
It also can be prepared by the reaction between Magnesium methyl iodide and disulfur dichloride.
It can be prepared by the reaction between sodium disulfide and Methyl sodium sulfate.
It can be prepared by heating Methyl sodium thiosulfate which is the reaction product of methyl bromide and sodium thiosulfate.
- Quantity restrictionsFEMA(mg/kg)：
bakery product 16.9；Frozen dairy products 4.8；Meat products 2.2；soft sweets 9.4；Jelly and pudding 8.3；
- Flammability hazard characteristicsFlammable in case of fire, high temperature and oxidant, decomposing out toxic sulfur oxide gas in case of acid or high heat.
- storageStore in a cool, well-ventilated warehouse, separated with oxidant, acid.
- Fire extinguishing agentDry powder, dry sand, carbon dioxide fire extinguishing agent, foam, 1211 fire extinguishing agent.
- DescriptionMethyl disulfide has a diffuse intense onion odor. It is nonlachrymatory. May be prepared from magnesium methyl iodide and S2C12, or from Na2S2 and sodium methyl sulfate; also from methyl bromide and sodium thiosulfate, after which the resulting sodium methylthiosulfate is heated to yield dimethyl disulfide.
- Chemical PropertiesMethyl disulfide has a diffuse, intense onion odor. This compound is nonlacrimatory
- Chemical Propertiescolourless to yellow liquid with a very unpleasant smell
- OccurrenceReported found in sour cherry, guava, melon, peach, pineapple, strawberry, cabbage, kohlrabi, onion, garlic, shallot, leek, chive, peas, potato, rutabaga, tomato, parsley, breads, many cheeses, yogurt, milk, egg, fish, meats, hop oil, beer, Scotch whiskey, cognac, grape wines, cocoa, coffee, peanut, peanut butter, pecan, potato chips, oats, soybean, beans, mushrooms, trassi, macadamia nut, mango, cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, rice, radish, sukiyaki, sake, watercress, malt, wort, krill, southern pea, loquat, sapodilla, shrimp, oyster, crab, crayfish, clam, scallops and squid.
- PreparationFrom magnesium methyl iodide and S2Cl2, or from S2S2 and sodium methyl sulfate; also from methyl bromide and sodium thiosulfate, after which the resulting sodium methylthiosulfate is heated to yield dimethyl disulfide.
- DefinitionChEBI: An organic disulfide that is methane in which one of the hydrogens has been replaced by a methyldisulfanyl group.
- Aroma threshold valuesDetection: 0.16 to 1.2 ppb. Recognition: 90 ppb
- General DescriptionA colorless oily liquid with a garlic-like odor. Denser than water and slightly soluble in water. Flash point 40°F. Vapors heavier than air. May irritate skin and eyes. Used to make other chemicals.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Slightly soluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileDMDS is a reducing agent. A dangerous fire hazard when exposed to oxidizing materials. Emits toxic fumes of oxides of sulfur when heated to decomposition or on contact with acids [Sax, 9th ed., 1996, p. 1320].
- Health HazardMay cause toxic effects if inhaled or absorbed through skin. Inhalation or contact with material may irritate or burn skin and eyes. Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
- Fire HazardHIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Containers may explode when heated. Many liquids are lighter than water.
- Safety ProfilePoison by inhalation. A very dangerous fire hazard when exposed to heat, flame, or oxidzers. Can react vigorously with oxiduing materials. See also SULFIDES.
- Purification MethodsPass it through neutral alumina before use. [Trost Chem Rev 78 363 1978, Beilstein 1 IV 1281.]
Dimethyl disulfide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsDimethyl sulfateSulfurSodium sulfideMethyl bromide METHYL MERCAPTANDisulfur dichlorideMOLYBDENUM(IV) SULFIDESodium methyl sulfate
- Preparation ProductsMethanesulfonyl chlorideMethanesulfonic acidTMTDFenthion3-Methyl-4-(methylthio)phenolFenamiphosZinc bis dimethyldithiocarbamateCYCLOPENTANETHIOL4-(Methylthio)phenol4-(Methylthio)-3,5-xylenol
- Zinc dimethyldithiocarbamate 6-HYDROXY-2-NAPHTHYL DISULFIDE 2,2'-Dithiodipyridine 2,2'-Dithiosalicylic acid 4,4'-Dinitrodiphenyl disulfide Dibenzyl disulfide 2,2'-DITHIOBIS(PYRIDINE-N-OXIDE), 97 3-CARBOXYPROPYL DISULFIDE S-TERT-BUTYLMERCAPTO-L-CYSTEINE D-PENICILLAMINE DISULFIDE 2,2'-DITHIOBIS(5-NITROPYRIDINE) 6,6'-DITHIODINICOTINIC ACID α-Lipoic Acid BIS(2,4,5-TRICHLOROPHENYL) DISULFIDE 4,4'-DIPYRIDYL DISULFIDE DIPHENYL DISULFIDE 2,2'-DITHIODIETHANOL 3,3'-DITHIODIPROPIONIC ACID
- Company Name:Langfang gehui Chemical Products Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18632616626 0316-2574366
- Products Intro:Product Name:dmds
Purity:99.8 Package:200KG /Bag/2700
- Company Name:Langfang gehui Chemical Products Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18632616626 0316-2574366
- Products Intro:Product Name:Methyl disulfide
Purity:99.8% Package:200/ 13000/
- Company Name:Taizhou Sunny Chemical Co.,Ltd Gold
- Tel:+86-523-86920899 13951172783
- Email:email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- Products Intro:Product Name:Methyl disulfide;Dimethyldisulfide
Purity:99.5% Package:Plastic Barrel/250Kg
- Company Name:Langfang Hawk Technology & Development Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18631652130 0316-2224727
- Products Intro:Product Name:Dimethyl Disulfide
- Company Name:Jiangsu aikang biomedical research and development co., LTD Gold
- Products Intro:Product Name:Dimethyl disulfide
Purity:95% HPLC or GC Package:10G,5G;1G
- Nov 22，2019