ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal halide and Halogen salt > Non-metal halides, sulfides or sulfonated > Disulfur dichloride
Disulfur dichloride Chemical Properties
- Melting point:−80 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:138 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.688 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 4.7 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 6.8 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:>130℃
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- form yellow-red oily liquid
- explosive limit4.2-32.5%(V)
- Water Solubility reacts
- Merck 13,9060
- CAS DataBase Reference10025-67-9(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceDisulfur dichloride(10025-67-9)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemSulfur monochloride (10025-67-9)
- Hazard Codes T,C,N
- Risk Statements 14-20-25-29-35-50-67-40-37-22
- Safety Statements 26-36/37/39-45-61
- RIDADR UN 3390 6.1/PG 1
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS WS4300000
- Autoignition Temperature451 °F
- HazardClass 8
- PackingGroup I
- HS Code 28121091
- Hazardous Substances Data10025-67-9(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 orally in Rabbit: 132 mg/kg
Disulfur dichloride Usage And Synthesis
- Physical PropertiesYellowish red oily liquid; pungent penetrating odor; fumes in air; refractive index 1.670 at 20°C; dipole moment 1.60; dielectric constant 4.9 at 22°C; reacts with water; soluble in ethanol, benzene, ether, chloroform, and carbon tetrachloride: dissolves sulfur at ambient temperature (67 g/100 g sulfur chloride).
- UsesSulfur chloride is a solvent for sulfur and a chlorinating agent. Other applications are vulcanizing rubber; an intermediate in making sulfur dyes, synthetic rubber, thionyl chloride, and several other compounds; pesticide formulations; hardening soft woods; and extracting gold.
- PreparationSulfur chloride is prepared as an orange liquid by passing chlorine gas through molten sulfur. If excess chlorine is passed and in the presence of a trace FeCl3 or iodine as catalyst, an equilibrium mixture of about 85% dichloride, SCl2 , and 15% S2Cl2 is obtained. The dichloride dissociates to sulfur chloride:
2SCl2 ↔ S2Cl2 + Cl2
Sulfur chloride is separated by fractional distillation.
- ToxicitySulfur chloride is toxic and a lachrymator. The vapors can cause irritation of the eyes, nose, and respiratory tract.
- Chemical PropertiesAmber to yellowish-red, oily, fuming liquid; penetrating odor. Soluble in alcohol, ether, benzene, carbon disulfide, and amyl acetate; decomposes on contact withwater. Combustible.
- Chemical PropertiesSulfur chloride is a fuming, oily liquid with a yellowish-red to amber color and a suffocating odor. It has an added hazard since it oxidizes and hydrolyzes to sulfur dioxide and hydrogen chloride.
- UsesIntermediate and chlorinating agent in the manufacture of organic chemicals, sulfur dyes, insecticides, synthetic rubbers; in cold vulcanization of rubber; as polymerization catalyst for vegetable oils; for hardening soft woods.
- UsesSulfur chloride (S2Cl2) is combustible and will react when in contact with water. It is used to produce carbon tetrachloride, to purify sugar juices, to extract gold from its ore, in insecticides, and as a poisonous gas for military/combat purposes.
- UsesIntermediate and chlorinating agent in manufacture of organics, sulfur dyes, insecticides, and synthetic rubber.
- DefinitionA red fuming liquid with a strong smell. It is prepared by passing chlorine over molten sulfur and is used to harden rubber.
- HazardReacts violently withwater in closed vessel. Toxic by inhalation and ingestion, strong irritant to tissue, eyes, skin, and upper respiratory tract.
- Health HazardSulfur monochloride is an irritant of the eyes, mucous membranes, and skin. On contact with water, it decomposes to form hydrogen chloride and sulfur dioxide; because this occurs rapidly, it acts primarily as an upper respiratory irritant and does not ordinarily reach the lungs. However, exposure to high concentrations may cause pulmonary edema.
- Safety ProfilePoison by ingestion and inhalation. A fuming, corrosive liquid very irritating to shin, eyes, and mucous membranes. It decomposes on contact with water to form the highly irritating hydrogen chloride, thiosulfuric acid, and sulfur. Its toxic effects are irritating to the upper respiratory tract, although the results of intoxication are usually transitory in nature. However, if hydrolysis is not complete in the upper respiratory tract, injury to the broncholes and alveoli can result. A fire hazard when in contact with organic matter, P203, Na2O2, water, Cr(OCl)2. Combustible when exposed to heat or flame. Will react with water or steam to produce heat and toxic and corrosive fumes. Can react with oxidizing materials. To fight fire, use CO2, dry chemical. When heated to decomposition it emits highly toxic fumes of Cland SOX.
- Potential ExposureSulfur chloride finds use as a chlorinating agent, catalyst, and as an intermediate in the manufacture of organic chemicals; carbon tetrachloride; sulfur dyes; insecticides, synthetic rubber; and pharmaceuticals. Exposure may also occur during the extraction of gold, purification of sugar juice; finishing and dyeing textiles; processing vegetable oils; hardening wood; and vulcanization of rubber. Has been used as a military poison.
- ShippingUN1828 Sulfur chlorides, Hazard class: 8; Labels: 8-Corrosive material, Potential Inhalation Hazard (Special Provision 5)
- Purification MethodsIt isa pungent, irritating golden yellow liquid. When impure its colour is orange to red due to SCl2 formed. It fumes in moist air and liberates HCl, SO2 and H2S in the presence of H2O. Distil it and collect the fraction boiling above 137o at atmospheric pressure. Fractionate this fraction over sulfur at ca 12mm using a ground glass apparatus (b 29-30o). Alternatively purify it by distillation below 60o from a mixture containing sulfur (2%) and activated charcoal (1%), under reduced pressure (e.g. 50mm). It is soluble in EtOH, *C6H6, Et2O, CS2 and CCl4. Store it in a closed container in the dark in a refrigerator. [Fehér in Handbook of Preparative Inorganic Chemistry (Ed. Brauer) Academic Press Vol I p 371 1963.] HARMFUL VAPOURS.
- IncompatibilitiesDecomposes violently in water, forming hydrochloric acid, sulfur dioxide; sulfur, sulfite, thiosulfate, and hydrogen sulfide. Reacts with oxidizers, strong bases; peroxides, phosphorus oxides; organics, antimony, antimony sulfide; arsenic sulfide; mercury oxide; tin, alkenes, terpenes, unsaturated glycerides; chromyl chloride; methyl sulfoxide; dimethylformamide, acetone, and other compounds; causing fire and explosion hazard. Corrosive to many metals in presence of water. Attacks some plastics, rubber and coatings.
- Waste DisposalWearing protective equipment, spray carefully onto sodium ash/slaked lime mixture. Then spray with water, dilute, neutralize and flush to drain.
Disulfur dichloride Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsSulfurSulphur
- Preparation ProductsThionyl chlorideChloroacetic acidSulfur dichlorideDiethyl chlorothiophosphateDMDSButyric anhydride2-Amino-6-methoxybenzothiazoleCartap hydrochloride Basic Yellow 24ORALITH BRILLIANT PINK RBasic Blue 54Diphenyl sulfideBithionolCarbosulfanCyclohexylthiophthalimide4-(2-BENZOTHIAZOLYLDITHIO)MORPHOLINEBis(pentamethylene)thiuram tetrasulfide N-methylbenzothiazol-2-amineProbucol2-BenzothiazolamineBIS(DIBUTYLAMINO)DISULFIDE1-(4'-Bromobiphenyl-4-yl)-3-phenylpropenoneethyl 3-(chlorosulfanyl-propan-2-yl-amino)propanoateDIBUTYL AMIDOSULFENYL CHLORIDE4-Chloroanisole4,4'-Dithiodimorpholine
- Sulfur chloride (SCl2),Sulfur chloride(mono) Iodine monochloride Methylene dithiocyanate Methylene Chloride Selenium sulfide CHLORIDE STANDARD sulfur dioxide Sulfur chloride oxide,Sulfur chloride oxide (Cl2SO),Sulfur chloride oxide (scl2o) Dimethyl disulfide METHOXYCARBONYLSULFENYL CHLORIDE Ammonium chloride Choline chloride DL-Dithiothreitol Sulfur Sodium chloride Insoluble sulfur Sulfur trioxide Sulfuryl chloride
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Beijing Ouhe Technology Co., Ltd
- Tel:13552068683 010-82967028-
- Company Name:Shanghai Hanhong Scientific Co.,Ltd.
- Company Name:BEST-REAGENT
- Tel:18981987031 400-1166-196
- Company Name:Maya High Purity Chemicals
- Tel:+86 (573) 82222445 (0)18006601000 QQ:452520369