ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Hydrocarbons and derivatives > Cyclic hydrocarbons > Dicyclopentadiene
Dicyclopentadiene Chemical Properties
- Melting point:33 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:170 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.986 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 3 hPa (20 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:114 °F
- storage temp. Flammables area
- form Liquid
- Specific Gravity0.968
- color Clear
- explosive limit0.8-6.3%(V)
- Water Solubility Immiscible with water.
- FreezingPoint 31.5℃
- Hydrolytic Sensitivity4: no reaction with water under neutral conditions
- Merck 14,2739
- BRN 1904092
- Stability:Stable at room temperature, but may form explosive peroxides if stored in contact with air. Incompatible with oxidizing agents. Decomposes on heating. Flammable. Mixtures of the vapour with air are explosive.
- CAS DataBase Reference77-73-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference4,7-Methano-1H-indene, 3a,4,7,7a-tetrahydro-(77-73-6)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemDicyclopentadiene (77-73-6)
- Hazard Codes F,Xn,N,T
- Risk Statements 11-20/22-36/37/38-51/53-23-22-10
- Safety Statements 36/37-61-45-26
- RIDADR UN 2048 3/PG 3
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS PC1050000
- Autoignition Temperature503 °C
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 3
- PackingGroup III
- HS Code 29021990
- Hazardous Substances Data77-73-6(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 orally in Rabbit: 353 mg/kg LD50 dermal Rabbit 4940 mg/kg
Dicyclopentadiene Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesCyclopentadiene is a crystalline solid or a liquid (above 32°C) with a disagreeable, camphor-like odor. The Odor Threshold is 0.011 (detectable); 0.020 ppm (recognizable).
cyclopentadiene, although a stable molecule, has a strong tendency to form the more stable dimer dicyclopentadiene. This dimerisation already takes place at room temperature and its rate rapidly increases with elevated temperatures. This reaction however is reversible too; dicyclopentadiene "cracks" at temperatures above 140°C to form two cyclopentadiene molecules. The physical properties of pure cyclopentadiene and dicyclopentadiene are given below as well as some product specific characteristics and compositions.
- UsesIt is used in the synthesis of chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticides and ferrocene; in paint, varnish, and resin manufacture; in elastomers used as water pond liners, and as a repellent for animals such as hares, rabbits, and deer, in winter or in summer. It is applied in the form of impregnated strip on deciduous and coniferous trees, or by spraying around ornamental plants and shrubs.
- UsesDicyclopentadiene or DCPD is the dimer of cyclopentadiene (CPD) formed by a DielsAlder addition reaction. DCPD products originate from high temperature cracking of petroleum fractions and are best characterized as highly reactive intermediates used for a wide range of resins, i. e. aromatic hydrocarbons, unsaturated polyesters, phenolics and epoxies.
Dicyclopentadiene RESIN GRADE - Most used in aromatic hydrocarbon and unsaturated polyester resins.
Dicyclopentadiene, UPR Grade- Developed for use in unsaturated polyester resins.
Dicyclopentadiene HIGH PURITY- Suited for water-white resins and specialty applications.
- Production MethodsDicyclopentadiene is produced by recovery from hydrocarbon streams from high temperature cracked petroleum fractions. It is also a by-product of the coke oven industry. Cyclopentadiene polymerizes to dicyclopentadiene on standing.
- Production MethodsDicyclopentadiene is produced by thermal cracking of petrochemical feedstocks or as a by-product of the coke oven industry. It is also formed by spontaneous dimerization of cyclopentadiene.
- General DescriptionA liquid with an acrid odor. Flash point 90°F. The vapors are irritating to the eyes and respiratory system. Subject to polymerization if subjected to heat for prolonged periods or if contaminated. If the polymerization takes place inside a container, the container may violently rupture. Insoluble in water. Density 8.2 lb / gal. Used in paints, varnishes, as an intermediate in insecticides, as a flame retardant in plastics.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileDicyclopentadiene may react vigorously with oxidizing agents. May react exothermically with reducing agents to release hydrogen gas. Can undergo exothermic polymierization reactions In the presence of various catalysts (such as acids) or initiators, if subjected to heat for prolonged periods, or if contaminated. Many undergo autoxidation upon exposure to the air to form explosive peroxides.
- Health HazardLIQUID OR SOLID: Irritating to skin and eyes.
- Fire HazardFLAMMABLE. Flashback along vapor trail may occur. Vapor may explode if ignited in an enclosed area.
- Chemical ReactivityReactivity with Water No reaction; Reactivity with Common Materials: No reaction; Stability During Transport: Stable; Neutralizing Agents for Acids and Caustics: Not pertinent; Polymerization: May occur in presence of acids, but not hazardous; Inhibitor of Polymerization: Not pertinent.
- Safety ProfilePoison by ingestion and intraperitoneal routes. Moderately toxic by inhalation. Mildly toxic by skin contact. A severe skin and moderate eye irritant. Dangerous fire hazard when exposed to heat or flame; can react with oxidizing materials. To fight fire, use alcohol foam. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and fumes.
- Potential ExposureThis compound is used in the manufacture of cyclopentadiene as a pesticide intermediate; in the production of ferrocene compounds; in paints, varnishes, and resin manufacture; in production of elastomers, resin systems, and polymers.
- ShippingUN2048 Dicyclopentadiene must carry a “FLAMMABLE LIQUID” label. It falls in Hazard Class 3
- IncompatibilitiesForms explosive mixture with air above flash point. Depolymerizes at boiling point and forms two molecules of cyclopentadiene; unless inhibited and maintained under inert atmosphere to prevent polymerization. Violent reaction with strong oxidizers; strong acids; strong bases. Can accumulate static electrical charges, and may cause ignition of its vapors
- Waste DisposalDissolve or mix the material with a combustible solvent and burn in a chemical incinerator equipped with an afterburner and scrubber. All federal, state, and local environmental regulations must be observed.
Dicyclopentadiene Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation Products1，3-CyclopentadieneCyclopentene1,1'-Bis(diphenylphosphino)ferrocene3-CYCLOPENTENE-1-OL1-Adamantanamine hydrochlorideMethyl-5-norbornene-2,3-dicarboxylic anhydride2-Azabicyclo[2.2.1]hept-5-en-3-oneAdamantaneRegenerated rubberSODIUM CYCLOPENTADIENIDE5-ETHYLIDENE-2-NORBORNENEChromocene2,2'-DIPYRIDYLAMINE5-NORBORNEN-2-YL ACETATE
- Raw materials1，3-CyclopentadieneCOAL TARlight benzol
- POLY(ETHYLENE TEREPHTHALATE) TETRAPHENYLCYCLOPENTADIENONE METHYLCYCLOPENTADIENE DIMER 1,2-PENTADIENE 1-METHYLDICYCLOPENTADIENE DICYCLOPENTADIENE DICARBOXYLIC ACID ENDO-DICYCLOPENTADIENE DICHLORO(DICYCLOPENTADIENYL)PLATINUM(II) EXO-DICYCLOPENTADIENE 6-ACETOXYDICYCLOPENTADIENE Dicyclopentadiene POLYCYCLOPENTADIENE TRANS-1,3-PENTADIENE 1,3-Cyclopentadiene Dimethicone Tetrahydro polydicyclopentadiene C36 Dimer acid
- Company Name:SICHUAN ZHONGBANG TECHNICAL DEVELOPING LIMITED COMPANY Gold
- Tel:18982761636 830-2585019
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Worldyang Chemical Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-