ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > fatty acid > Methanesulfonic acid
Basic information Methanesulfonate electroplating solution Chemical properties Uses Production method Safety Related Supplier
Methanesulfonic acid Chemical Properties
- Melting point:19 °C
- Boiling point:167 °C10 mm Hg(lit.)
- Density 1.481 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 3.3 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 1 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:>230 °F
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility water: soluble1,000 g/L at 20°C
- pka-2.6(at 25℃)
- form Solution
- color brown
- Specific Gravity1.48 (18/4℃)
- Water Solubility Miscible with water. Slightly miscible with benzene and toluene. Immiscible with paraffins.
- λmaxλ: 240-320 nm Amax: <0.4
- Sensitive Light Sensitive & Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,5954
- BRN 1446024
- Stability:Stable. Moisture sensitive. Incompatible with amines, bases, water, common metals. Releases a substantial amount of heat when diluted with water (add acid to water with care if diluting).
- CAS DataBase Reference75-75-2(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceCH3SO3H(75-75-2)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMethanesulfonic acid (75-75-2)
- Hazard Codes C
- Risk Statements 34-22-21/22-35
- Safety Statements 26-36-45-1/2-36/37/39
- RIDADR UN 3265 8/PG 2
- WGK Germany 1
- RTECS PB1140000
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 8
- PackingGroup III
- HS Code 29041000
- Hazardous Substances Data75-75-2(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 orally in Rabbit: 649 mg/kg LD50 dermal Rabbit 200 - 2000 mg/kg
Methanesulfonic acid Usage And Synthesis
- Methanesulfonate electroplating solutionMethanesulfonic acid is a caustic chemical, briefly referred to as MSA. It has broad application prospect in the field of electroplating and has proved to be an excellent alternative of fluoride boric acid or phenolsulfonic acid.
Methanesulfonate electroplating solution has been applied to tin and tin-lead alloy plating, the product features are as follows:
1. The bright pure tin electroplating of the methanesulfonic acid type with the coating crystal being meticulous, even and exhibiting bright silver-white. It has excellent weldability, being suitable in the electronics profession.
2. The plating solution has a high plating rate, a wide range of current density, faster deposition rate, and excellent deep plating capacity.
3. After the standard aging test or long-term storage, it can still maintain good welding performance.
4. It contains no fluorine boric acid with easy wastewater treatment, low corrosion, being environmentally friendly.
- Chemical propertiesIt appears as colorless or slightly brown oily liquid, appearing as solid at low temperatures. It has a melting temperature of 20 °C, the boiling point of 167 °C (13.33 kPa), 122 °C (0.133 kPa), the relative density of 1.4812 (18 ℃) and refractive index 1.4317 (16 ℃). It is soluble in water, alcohol and ether, insoluble in alkanes, benzene and toluene. It will not subject to decomposition in boiling water and hot alkaline solution. It also has strong corrosion effect against the metal iron, copper and lead.
- UsesMethanesulfonic acid is a raw material for medicine and pesticide. It can also be used as dehydrating agent, curing accelerator for coating, treating agent for fiber, solvent, catalysis, and esterification as well as polymerization reaction.
It can be used as solvent, alkylation, catalyst of esterification and polymerization, also used in medicine and electroplating industry. It can also be applied to oxidation.
- Production methodIt can be obtained through the nitrate oxidation of thiocyanate methyl. Nitric acid and negative water are heated carefully to 80-88 °C with fractional addition of methyl thiocyanate and the temperature being automatically rose to about 105 ℃. After the reaction becomes mild, the reaction was heated to 120 ° C and reacted for 5 hours to obtain a crude product. The crude product was diluted with exchanged water and adjusted to pH 8-9 by addition of 25% barium hydroxide solution and filtered. The filtrate is condensed to until crystalline precipitation. The crystal is washed by methanol to remove the nitrate to obtain the barium methanesulfonate. It is then added to the exchanged water to boiling, add sulfuric acid for decomposition while it is hot, filter and the filtrate was concentrated under vacuum to no water to obtain the finished product.
Another method is that the methyl isothiourea sulfate is successively subject to chlorination, oxidation and hydrolysis to derive the finished product. Methyl isothiourea sulfate was added to the water; and the chlorine is sent into at 20-25 ° C to until phenomenon such as solution color is turned into yellow; oil layer emerges in the bottom of the bottle; the temperature drop and large number of residual chlorine is discharged from the exhaust pipe; this indicates the end point of the reaction. The reaction solution was extracted with chloroform. After drying, the extract was distilled at 60-62 ° C under normal pressure to remove the chloroform, and then further subject to distillation under reduced pressure. Collect the 60-65 °C (2.67 kPa) fraction was to obtain the methanesulfonyl chloride. Add the base drop wise under stirring to 80 ℃ hot water and maintain the heat hydrolysis for about 2h, to until the reaction liquid droplets completely disappear. The reaction solution was concentrated under reduced pressure to a syrupy form, diluted with water, and concentrated under reduced pressure to until no more water was distilled off to obtain methanesulfonic acid.
- Chemical PropertiesMethanesulfonic acid is a colourless or light yellow liquid having a melting point of 20° C, is a strong acid acting corroding but not oxidizing.
Methanesulfonic acid is used in the electroplating industry and for organic syntheses, in particular as a catalyst for alkylations, esterifications, and polymerizations. Beyond that, methanesulfonic acid is used as a starting material for the preparation of methanesulfonyl chloride.
- UsesPolymerization catalyst.
Methanesulfonic acid has been developed as an esterification catalyst in place of sulfuric acid for the synthesis of resins in paints and coatings. One of the major advantages of methanesulfonic acid over sulfuric acid is that it is not an oxidizing species.
- PreparationMethanesulfonic acid is produced predominantly by oxidizing methylthiol or dimethyl disulfide using nitric acid, hydrogen peroxide, chlorine or by employing electrochemical processes.
- DefinitionChEBI: An alkanesulfonic acid in which the alkyl group directly linked to the sulfo functionality is methyl.
- HazardToxic by ingestion, skin irritant, corrosiveto tissue.
- Safety ProfilePoison by ingestion and intraperitoneal routes. May be corrosive to skin, eyes, and mucous membranes. Explosive reaction with ethyl vinyl ether. Incompatible with hydrogen fluoride. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of SOx. See also SULFONATES.
- Purification MethodsDry the acid, either by azeotropic removal of water with *benzene or toluene, or by stirring 20g of P2O5 with 500mL of the acid at 100o for 0.5hours. Then distil it under vacuum and fractionally crystallise it by partial freezing. Sulfuric acid, if present, can be removed by prior addition of Ba(OH)2 to a dilute solution, filtering off the BaSO4 and concentrating under reduced pressure; and is sufficiently pure for most applications. [Beilstein 4 IV 10.]
Methanesulfonic acid Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsMethanesulfonyl chloride(S)-(-)-7,7'-BIS[DI(3,5-DIMETHYLPHENYL)PHOSPHINO]-2,2',3,3'-TETRAHYDRO-1,1'-SPIROBIINDANE(R)-7,7'-BIS(DIPHENYLPHOSPHINO)-1,1'-SPIROBIINDANE(S)-1,1'-SPIROBIINDANE-7,7'-DIOL(11AR)-(+)-10,11,12,13-TETRAHYDRODIINDENO[7,1-DE:1',7'-FG][1,3,2]DIOXAPHOSPHOCIN-5-BIS(R)-1PHENYLETHYL]AMINESodium dodecylbenzenesulphonate(11AR)-(+)-10,11,12,13-TETRAHYDRODIINDENO[7,1-DE:1',7'-FG][1,3,2]DIOXAPHOSPHOCIN-5-PHENOXY10-(2-Benzothiazolyl)-2,3,6,7-tetrahydro-1,1,7,7-tetramethyl-1H,5H,11H-(1)benzopyropyrano(6,7-8-I,j)quinolizin-11-one(11AR)-(+)-10,11,12,13-TETRAHYDRODIINDENO[7,1-DE:1',7'-FG][1,3,2]DIOXAPHOSPHOCIN-5-DIMETHYLAMINE1,1'-SPIROBIINDANE-7,7'-DIOLETHYL 4-FORMYL-2,5-DIMETHYL-1-(2-THIENYLMETHYL)-1H-PYRROLE-3-CARBOXYLATEFluconazolePazufloxacinPergolideDicofol5-Methoxy-3-indazolecarboxylic acidCoumarin 314TEthofenprox 9-Formyl-8-hydroxy-1,1,7,7-tetramethyljulolidine5-Methoxyisatin3-AminobenzamideLIMAPROSTMethanesulfonic anhydride PefloxacinGabexate mesylateTROVAFLOXACINSAPERCONAZOLESodium trifluoromethanesulfonatePhentolamine mesilate
- Raw materialsMethanesulfonyl chloride2-Methyl-2-thiopseudourea sulfateBarium hydroxide DMDSANION STANDARD - NITRATEMethyl thiocyanate
- Methanesulfonic acid, zinc salt methanesulfonic acid, caesium salt (7,7-dimethyl-2-oxobicyclo[2.2.1]hept-1-yl)methanesulfonic acid P-NITROBENZENE METHANESULFONIC ACID FORMAMIDE N-(diaminomethylidene)-3-methylsulfonyl-4-propan-2-ylbenzamide methanesulfonic acid 5-Mercapto-1H-tetrazole-1-methanesulfonic acid disodium salt Colimycin sodium methanesulfonate, Methanesulfonic acid derivative of Polymyxin E, Polymyxin E sodium methanesulfonate Thio-methanesulfonic Acid S,S'-[(Methylimino)diethylene] Ester Sodium formaldehyde bisulfite phosphoric acid Methanesulfonic acid Ascoric Acid Ethyl 2-(Chlorosulfonyl)acetate Trifluoromethanesulfonic acid Citric acid Trifluoromethanesulfonic anhydride Glycine Stearic acid
- Company Name:Hubei spark chemical co. LTD Gold
- Tel:13986459075 0712-4798317-
- Products Intro:CAS:75-75-2
- Company Name:Taizhou Sunny Chemical Co.,Ltd Gold
- Tel:+86-523-86920899 13951172783
- Email:email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- Products Intro:Product Name:METHANE SULFONIC ACID
- Company Name:Tangshan Moneide Trading Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15633399667 0315-8309571
- Products Intro:Product Name:Metane Sulfonic Acid
Purity:70%&99% min. Package:100g;500g;1kg;25kg
- Company Name:Shanghai Song Yuan Chemical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Products Intro:Product Name:Methanesulfonic acid
- Company Name:Nanjing Vital Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Products Intro:Product Name:Methanesulfonic acid