ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Chemical Reagents > Organic reagents > Cyanate ester / isocyanate > Methyl thiocyanate
Methyl thiocyanate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-5 °C
- Boiling point:131 °C
- Density 1.08
- refractive index 1.467-1.469
- Flash point:38 °C
- storage temp. Poison room
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless to light yellow
- Sensitive Moisture Sensitive
- Merck 14,6127
- CAS DataBase Reference556-64-9(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceThiocyanic acid, methyl ester(556-64-9)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMethyl thiocyanate (556-64-9)
- Hazard Codes T
- Risk Statements 23/24/25-10-36/37
- Safety Statements 28A-27-26-16-45-36/37/39
- RIDADR UN1992
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS XL1575000
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 3
- PackingGroup III
- HS Code 29309099
- Hazardous Substances Data556-64-9(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 i.p. in mice: 315 nmoles/g (Ohkawa)
Methyl thiocyanate Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesCLEAR COLOURLESS TO LIGHT YELLOW LIQUID
- Chemical PropertiesMethyl thiocyanate is a colorless liquid. Onion-like odor
- DefinitionChEBI: Methyl thiocyanate is a member of the class of thiocyanates, being the methyl ester of thiocyanic acid.
- General DescriptionColorless liquid and an odor of onions. Used as an agricultural insecticide, a fumigant and as a research chemical. No evidence of commercial production in the U.S.
- Air & Water ReactionsVery slightly soluble in water [Merck].
- Reactivity ProfileMethyl thiocyanate is a moderately toxic liquid, flammable. Violent, possibly explosive oxidation reaction when mixed with chlorates, nitrates, nitric acid, organic or inorganic peroxides, perchlorates. On contact with mineral acids or acid fumes deadly toxic hydrogen cyanide gas is produced. When heated to decomposition or on contact with mineral acids Methyl thiocyanate emits highly toxic fumes of nitriles, oxides of sulfur and nitrogen [Lewis, 3rd ed., 1993, p. 879, 1234].
- Health HazardMethyl thiocyanate is highly toxic if ingested. It is a rapidly acting poison.
- Fire HazardWhen heated to decomposition, Methyl thiocyanate emits very toxic fumes of oxides of nitrogen and sulfur. (Non-Specific -- Thiocyanates) Incompatible with nitric acid. Violent reactions have occurred when mixed with chlorates, nitrates, nitric acid, organic peroxides, peroxides, potassium chlorate, and sodium chlorate. Methyl thiocyanate is volatile.
- Safety ProfilePoison by ingestion, intravenous, and subcutaneous routes. When heated to decomposition it emits very toxic fumes of NOx and SOx.
- Potential ExposureIt is used as an agricultural insecticide; a fumigant; and as a research chemical. No evidence of commercial production in the United States.
- ShippingUN2929 Toxic liquids, flammable, organic, n.o.s., Hazard class: 6.1; Labels: 6.1-Poison Inhalation Hazard, 3-Flammable liquid, Technical Name Required. UN1992 Flammable liquids, toxic, n.o.s., Hazard Class: 3; Labels: 3-Flammable liquid, 6.1-Poisonous materials, Technical Name Required.
- IncompatibilitiesIncompatible with nitric acid. Violent reactions have occurred when mixed with chlorates, nitrates, nitric acid; peroxides, potassium chlorate; and sodium chlorate.
Methyl thiocyanate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Erythromycin thiocyanate Methylparaben Parathion-methyl Methyl acrylate Allyl isothiocyanate thiocyanate Methyl Ammonium thiocyanate Kresoxim-methyl Thiophanate-methyl ISOTHIOCYANATE, POLYMER-BOUND, 200-400 Thiocyanic acid Fluorescein isothiocyanate METHYL THIOPHENE-2-CARBOXYLATE Bensulfuron methyl Methyl bromide Methyl isothiocyanate Sodium thiocyanate
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:400-005-6266 021-58432009-