ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal Sulphides and sulphates > Molybdenum disulfide
Molybdenum disulfide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:2375 °C
- Density 5.06 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- form powder
- Specific Gravity4.8
- color Gray to dark gray or black
- Water Solubility Soluble in hot sulfuric acid, and aquaregia. Insoluble in water, concentrated sulfuric acid and dilute acid.
- Merck 14,6236
- Boiling point:100°C (water)
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with oxidizing agents, acids.
- CAS DataBase Reference1317-33-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMolybdenum sulfide (MoS2) (1317-33-5)
- Safety Statements 22-24/25
- WGK Germany -
- RTECS QA4697000
- TSCA Yes
- HS Code 28309090
- ToxicityLC50 inhalation in rat: > 2820mg/m3/4H
Molybdenum disulfide Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionMolybdenum disulfide (MoS2) is the most famous of the single layer transition metal dichalcogenide (TMD) family. MoS2 has been used in bulk for many years as a solid state lubricant, this is due to its low coefficient of friction in addition to its high chemical and thermal stability.
All forms of MoS2 have a layered structure, in which a plane of molybdenum atoms is sandwiched by planes of sulfide ions. These three strata form a monolayer of MoS2. Bulk MoS2 consists of stacked monolayers, which are held together by weak van der Waals interactions.
Similar to graphite, when MoS2 transitions from a bulk structure to a single layer structure the properties of this material undergo a significant change.
The most striking change that occurs when transitioning from bulk to single layer is the shift in the optoelectronic properties, with the material changing from being an indirect bandgap semiconductor with a bandgap value of approximately 1.3 eV to a direct bandgap semiconductor with a bandgap value of approximately 1.9 eV. Due to the presence of a bandgap in this material there are significantly more uses for MoS2 in comparison to other 2d materials such as graphene.
In recent years, MoS2 has been utilized in flexible electronic applications, promoting more investigation into the elastic properties of this material. Nanoscopic bending tests using AFM cantilever tips were performed on micromechanically exfoliated MoS2 flakes that were deposited on a holey substrate. The yield strength of monolayer flakes was 270 GPa, while the thicker flakes were also stiffer, with a yield strength of 330 GPa. Molecular dynamic simulations found the in-plane yield strength of MoS2 to be 229 GPa, which matches the experimental results within error. Some areas in which MoS2 has already been applied include high on/off ratio field effect transistors due to low leakage currents, memresistors based on layered TMD films, controllable spin and valley polarization, geometric confinement of excitons, tuneable photoluminescence, the electrolysis of water, and photovoltaics/photodetectors.
- Chemical Propertiesdark grey or black powder
- UsesDry lubricant and lubricant additive. Hydrogenation catalyst.
- UsesMolybdenum disulfide (MoS2) is one of the most widely used lubricants in space systems.it is a common additive that improves the antiseize properties of wheel bearing grease.Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) has been used for many years as a solid lubricant because of its interesting friction-reducing properties related to its crystalline structure. MoS2 is a lamellar compound made of a stacking of S-Mo-S layers . In each of them, the molybdenum atom is surrounded by six sulfur atoms located at the top of a trigonal prism. The distance between a molybdenum atom and a sulfur atom is equal to 0.241 nm, whereas the distance between two sulfur atoms from two adjacent layers is equal to 0.349 nm. This characteristic was often used to explain easy cleavage between the layers and therefore the lubricating properties of MoS2.
- UsesIn addition to serving as the primary natural source of molybdenum, purified molybdenum disulfide MoS2 is an excellent lubricant when in the form of a dry film, or as an additive to oil or grease. The compound also is used as a filler in nylons, and as an effective catalyst for hydrogenation-dehydrogenation reactions.
- DefinitionNatural molybdenum sul-fide found in igneous rocks and metallic veins.
- HazardToxic material.
Molybdenum disulfide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsHydrofluoric acidHYDROGEN SULFIDEMolybdenum trioxide5-Butyloxazolidine-2,4-dioneAmmonium molybdate tetrahydrateMOLYBDENUM TRISULFIDE
- Preparation ProductsChloroacetyl chlorideDMDS2-AminobenzenethiolBenzothiazolePrometrynlithium base greaseDiethyl disulfide1,2,4-ButanetriolEthylicin(2S,5R,6S)-6-[(3-Hydroxy-3-oxo-2-thiophen-3-ylpropanoyl)amino]-6-methoxy-3,3-dimethyl-7-oxo-4-thia-1-azabicyclo[3.2.0]heptane-2-carboxylic acid2-(4-METHYLPHENYL)-BENZOTHIAZOLEMolybdic acid2-BenzothiazololTiludronic acid
- Cobalt oxide Molybdenum carbide Molybdenum MOLYKOTE LONGTERM 2 PLUS MOLYKOTE FS-3452 FLUOROSILICONE GREASE MOLYKOTE 1102 GAS COCK GREASE Molybdenum trioxide MOLYKOTE METAL PROTECTOR,MOLYKOTE PG 75 PLASTISLIP,MOLYKOTE PTFE-N SPRAY,MOLYKOTE 111 SILICONE COMPOUND,MOLYKOTE D 321R, DRY ANTIFRICTION FILM,MOLYKOTE FS 1292 FLUOROSILICONE GREASE,MOLYKOTE 44M GREASE,MOLYKOTE 1000 UNIVERSAL THREAD COMPOUND,MOLYKOTE 33 M GREASE,MOLYKOTE PG54 PLASTISLIP Molykote 522,molykote52 MOLYBDENUM(IV) SULFIDE,MOLYBDENUM SULFIDE Molybdenum disulfide complex calcium-based grease Lubricating films with molybdenum disulfide MOLYKOTE HSC PLUS PASTE,MOLYKOTE HSC PLUS SPRAY Molybdenum sulfide (MoS2), roasted Molybdenum disulfide lithium-based grease Molybdenum disulfide calcium-based grease
- Company Name:Hubei xin embellish DE chemical co., LTD Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted
- Tel:010-57411838 010-57411839-