Basic information Chemical Properties Usage Preparation Category Toxicity grade Acute toxicity Flammability hazard characteristics Storage Fire extinguishing agents Safety Related Supplier
2,6-Lutidine Chemical Properties
- Melting point:?6 °C (lit.)
- Boiling point:143-145 °C (lit.)
- Density 0.92 g/mL at 25 °C (lit.)
- vapor pressure 5.5 hPa (20 °C)
- FEMA 3540 | 2,6-DIMETHYLPYRIDINE
- refractive index n
- Flash point:92 °F
- storage temp. −20°C
- pka6.65(at 25℃)
- form Liquid
- color Clear
- Water Solubility 40 g/100 mL (20 ºC)
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,5616
- JECFA Number1317
- BRN 105690
- Stability:Stable. Flammable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, acid chlorides, acids, chloroformates. Protect from moisture.
- CAS DataBase Reference108-48-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferencePyridine, 2,6-dimethyl-(108-48-5)
- EPA Substance Registry System2,6-Dimethylpyridine (108-48-5)
- Hazard Codes Xn,F,Xi
- Risk Statements 10-22-36/37/38-20/21/22
- Safety Statements 26-36/37-16-36-36/37/39
- RIDADR UN 1993 3/PG 3
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS OK9700000
- F 8
- Hazard Note Irritant/Flammable
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 3
- PackingGroup III
- HS Code 29333999
- Hazardous Substances Data108-48-5(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 orally in Rabbit: 400 mg/kg LD50 dermal Rabbit > 1000 mg/kg
2,6-Lutidine Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesColorless oily liquid, melting point-5.8℃, boiling point 144℃（139-141℃，145.6-145.8℃）, density 0.9252（20/4℃）, refractive index 1.4977, flash point 33℃, soluble in dimethyl formamide, tetrahydrofuran, cold water, hot water, ethanol and ether, with mixed odor of Pyridine and mint.
- Usage2,6-Lutidine is widely used in organic synthesis as a raw material and solvent. In Pharmaceutical industry, it can be used for the production of antiatherosclerotic pyridinolcarbamate. It can also be used for the production of Cortisone acetate, hydrocortisone, niacin, lobeline and stilbazium iodide which is an anthelmintic and effective for the worm, fasciolopsis buski, whipworm, pinworm and so on. In addition, 2,6-Lutidine can be used as an auxiliaries for Pesticides, dyes, dyeing and printing and used as resin and rubber accelerator, intermediate of hot oil stabilizer. It can be oxidized to produce Dimethyl pyridine acid, which can be used as the stabilizer for hydrogen peroxide and acetic acid and used to synthesize lobelidine. 2,6-Lutidine is used as various kinds of nutty essence and cocoa, coffee, meat, bread and vegetable typed essence. It is also used to synthesize drugs for the treatment and first-aid of hypertension.
- Preparation2,6-Lutidine is obtained through the separation of β-methylpyridine which is a recycled product of coal coking byproduct.
- Categoryflammable liquid
- Toxicity gradehigh toxic
- Acute toxicityoral – rat LD50: 400mg/kg
- Flammability hazard characteristicsflammable in case of fire, high temperature and oxidant, releasing toxic nitrogen oxides in case of heat.
- StorageVentilated and dry warehouse with low temperature, separated from acids.
- Fire extinguishing agentsDry powder, dry sand, carbon dioxide, foam.
- Chemical PropertiesColorless to yellow liquid
- Chemical Properties2,6-Dimethylpyridine has a powerful and diffusive minty-tarry odor. It has also been described to have the odor of pyridine and peppermint
- OccurrenceReported found in bread, tea, peppermint oil, cheeses, chicken, beef, pork, beer, sherry, whiskies, cocoa, coffee, tea, oatmeal, rice bran, buckwheat and malt.
- UsesIsolated from the basic fraction of coal tar. A semi-volatile compound in tobacco.
- DefinitionChEBI: A member of the class of methylpyridines that is pyridine carrying methyl substituents at positions 2 and 6.
- Taste threshold valuesTaste characteristics at 20 ppm: nutty, coffee, cocoa, musty, bready and meaty
- Synthesis Reference(s)Organic Syntheses, Coll. Vol. 2, p. 214, 1943
Tetrahedron Letters, 17, p. 383, 1976 DOI: 10.1016/S0040-4039(00)93738-9
- General DescriptionA colorless liquid with a peppermint odor. Flash point 92°F. Less dense than water. Vapors heavier than air. Produces toxic oxides of nitrogen during combustion. Used to make other chemicals.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Soluble in water.
- Reactivity Profile2,6-Lutidine neutralizes acids in exothermic reactions to form salts plus water. May be incompatible with isocyanates, halogenated organics, peroxides, phenols (acidic), epoxides, anhydrides, and acid halides. Flammable gaseous hydrogen may be generated in combination with strong reducing agents, such as hydrides.
- Health HazardInhalation or contact with material may irritate or burn skin and eyes. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
- Chemical SynthesisSynthesis from ethyl acetoacetate, formaldehyde and ammonia; isolated from basic fraction of coal tar
- Purification MethodsLikely contaminants include 3-and 4-picoline (similar boiling points). However, they are removed by using BF3, with which they react preferentially, by adding 4mL of BF3 to 100mL of dry fractionally distilled 2,6-lutidine and redistilling. Distillation of commercial material from AlCl3 (14g per 100mL) can also be used to remove picolines (and water). Alternatively, lutidine (100mL) can be refluxed with ethyl benzenesulfonate (20g) or ethyl p-toluenesulfonate (20g) for 1hour, then the upper layer is cooled, separated and distilled. The distillate is refluxed with BaO or CaH2, then fractionally distilled through a glass helices-packed column. 2,6-Lutidine can be dried with KOH or sodium or by refluxing with (and distilling from) BaO, prior to distillation. For purification via its picrate, 2,6-lutidine, dissolved in absolute EtOH, is treated with an excess of warm ethanolic picric acid. The precipitate is filtered off, recrystallised from acetone (to give m 163-164.5o (166-167o), and partitioned between ammonia and CHCl3/diethyl ether. The organic layer, after washing with dilute aqueous KOH, is dried with Na2SO4 and fractionally distilled. [Warnhoff J Org Chem 27 4587 1962.] Alternatively, 2,6-lutidine can be purified via its urea complex, as described under 2,3-lutidine. Other purification procedures include azeotropic distillation with phenol [Coulson et al. J Appl Chem (London) 2 71 1952], fractional crystallisation by partial freezing, and vapour-phase chromatography using a 180-cm column of polyethylene glycol-400 (Shell, 5%) on Embacel (May and Baker) at 100o, with argon as carrier gas [Bamford & Block J Chem Soc 4989 1961]. The hydrochloride has m 235-237o, 239o (from EtOH). [Beilstein 20 II 160, 20 III/IV 2776, 20/6 V 32.]
2,6-Lutidine Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsEtanolDiethyl etherSulfuric acid Nitric acidPotassium hydroxide Ammonium hydroxideAmmoniaFormaldehydeEthyl acetoacetateCalcium chlorideDiethylamineCalcium oxide3-Picoline
- Preparation ProductsBergapten5-bromo-1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline2,6-DIMETHYL-PYRIDIN-4-YLAMINE7-BROMO-1,2,3,4-TETRAHYDRO-ISOQUINOLINE2,6-Pyridinedicarboxylic acid2,4-Lutidine2-(HYDROXYETHYL)-6-METHYLPYRIDINECefpiramide acid2-(Bromomethyl)-6-methylpyridine2,6-Pyridinedimethanol6-BROMOMETHYL-2-PYRIDINECARBOXYLIC ACID2,6-Dimethylpyridine N-oxide3-AMINO-2,6-DIMETHYLPYRIDINE3-Bromo-2,6-dimethylpyridine2,6-Dimethyl-3-nitropyridine2,6-BIS(CHLOROMETHYL)PYRIDINE
- 2,6-DI-TERT-BUTYLPYRIDINE 2,6-lutidine-alpha(sup 2),3-diol,2,6-LUTIDINE-ALPHA-2,3-DIOL 99%,2,6-lutidine-α2,3-diol 6-METHYL-2-PYRIDINEPROPANOL, 98 2,6-Pyridinedicarboxaldehyde 4-Bromo-2,6-lutidine 2-Chloro-3-cyanopyridine 2,5-LUTIDINE 98+%,2,5-DIMETHYLPYRIDINE, 2,5-LUTIDINE N,N-Dimethylacetamide Dimethyl sulfoxide N,N-Dimethylaniline N,N-Dimethylformamide 3,4-LUTIDINE 98%,3,4-Lutidine98%,3,4-LUTIDINE 3,4-DIMETHYLPYRIDINE Poly(dimethylsiloxane) 2,6-Lutidine Dimethicone 2,3-DIMETHYLPYRIDINE(2,3-LUTIDINE),2,3-Lutidine,99%,2,3-LUTIDINE 98+%,2,3-LUTIDINE/2,3-DIMETHYL PYRIDINE,2,3-LUTIDINE 3,5-Lutidine,99%,3,5-LUTIDINE 3,5-DIMETHYLPYRIDINE,Lutidine,98%,3 5-LUTIDINE STANDARD FOR GC,3,5-LUTIDINE, 98+% Dimethyl sulfone
- Company Name:Tocopharm Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13776836200 021-69895597-
- Products Intro:Product Name:2,6-lutidine
- Company Name:Shanghai Yolne Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Products Intro:CAS:108-48-5
- Company Name:Nanjing Zhipu Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:13813022170 025-83172967-
- Products Intro:Product Name:2,6-dimethyl-pyridin
- Company Name:Shandong Ono Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:0539-6362799（To 20）
- Products Intro:CAS:108-48-5
- Company Name:Rare Chemistry (Hong Kong) Co., Ltd. Gold
- Products Intro:Product Name:2,6-Lutidine
- Nov 11，2019