ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal halide and Halogen salt > Metal chlorides and salt > Calcium chloride dihydrate
Calcium chloride dihydrate
Calcium chloride dihydrate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:30 °C
- Density 1.71 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 0.01 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index ~1.358
- storage temp. Store at RT.
- solubility H2O: 1 M at 20 °C, clear, colorless
- form Solid
- color White to white-grayish
- Specific Gravity0.835
- PH4.5-8.5 (50g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- PH Range5 - 8
- Water Solubility 1000 g/L (0 ºC)
- λmaxλ: 260 nm Amax: 0.015
λ: 280 nm Amax: 0.012
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,1659
- Stability:Stable. Hygroscopic. Incompatible with vinylmethyl ether.
- CAS DataBase Reference10035-04-8(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemCalcium chloride, dihydrate (10035-04-8)
Calcium chloride dihydrate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionCalcium chloride dihydrate (CaCl2﹒2H2O) is the hydrate form of calcium chloride. Calcium chloride is an inorganic compound consisting of calcium and chloride. It has various kinds of applications. For example, it can be used as a desiccant due to its high hygroscopicity; used for the deicing and dust control; for road surfacing; as brine for refrigeration plants, ice and cement; increasing the water hardness in the swimming pools; as a food additives; increasing the cell membrane permeability to facilitate the genetic transformation of cells; for the treatment of hypocalcemia in which the body requires a prompt increase in blood plasma calcium levels, For its production, it can be either produced directly from limestone or produced by the Solvary process as the by-product. In addition, it can also be obtained by purification from brine.
- UsesCalcium chloride dihydrate is an odourless white solid in the form of small flakes. It is deliquescent (absorbs moisture from the air) and rapidly dissolves in water producing heat (exothermic). It has many industrial applications and is commonly used to prevent dusting, as a drying agent and to melt ice. It is used in swimming pools and aquariums as a pH buffer and a rapid source of calcium ions.
Calcium Chloride is a general purpose food additive, the anhydrous form being readily soluble in water with a solubility of 59 g in 100 ml of water at 0°C. It dissolves with the liberation of heat. It also exists as calcium chloride dihydrate, being very soluble in water with a solubility of 97 g in 100 ml at 0°C. It is used as a firming agent for canned tomatoes, potatoes, and apple slices. In evaporated milk, it is used at levels not more than 0.1 percent to adjust the salt balance so as to prevent coagulation of milk during sterilization. It is used with disodium EDTA to protect the favor in pickles and as a source of calcium ions for reaction with alginates to form gels.
- Chemical PropertiesCalcium chloride is a colorless to off-white crystalline solid which is deliquescent (absorb water). When heated, crystals lose water @ 100C.
- UsesPreparation of calcium standard solutions; electrolyte.
- Usescosmetic ingredient.
Food grade calcium chloride is used in various applications within the food and beverage industries.
In the production of beer and soft drinks, CaCl2 is used as a source of calcium to regulate the hardness of water.
In the production of cheese, CaCl2 is used as a source of calcium.
CaCl2 is also used to increase the firmness of canned fruits and pickled vegetables.
CaCl2 is also used as a secondary cooling agent in various processes that operate according to food regulations.
- DefinitionChEBI: A hydrate that is the dihydrate form of calcium chloride.
- brand nameCal Plus (Mallinckrodt).
- Biological FunctionsCalcium chloride is a commonly used reagent in biochemistry. Calcium plays important roles in many biological processes, including signal transduction, muscle contraction, and maintenance of cell membrane and cell wall stability.Extensive reviews of the experimental measurement of biological calcium have been published.
Calcium chloride is used in the preparation and transformation of competent E. coli and in the transfection of eukaryotic cells with either plasmid DNA or high molecular weight genomic DNA.The CaCl2-mediated electroporation of E. coli with the plasmid DNA pBR322 has been studied.A protocol for the concentration of virus vectors that uses CaCl2 has been published.
CaCl2 has been used in the stabilization and twodimensional crystallization of the NADH-ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I) from Escherichia coli. The crystallization of porcine pancreatic elastase in the presence of CaCl2 in the presence of sodium citrate reveals binding of calcium in the metal binding site of the protein.The effect of CaCl2 on the total fluorescence in the polymerication of the tubulin-like FtsZ division protein of Escherichia coli has been studied by a multiwell fluorescent assay.
- Potential ExposureCalcium chloride is used as road salt for melting snow, a drying agent in desiccators, for dehydrating organic liquids and gases, in refrigeration brines and antifreeze, as a dust-proofing agent, food additives, concrete hardening accelerator, and others. May react with strong oxidizers.
- ShippingThere are no label or maximum shipping quantity requirements set by DOT.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise it from ethanol. It is hygroscopic. It loses H2O at 200o so it can be dried at high temperatures to dehydrate it. The hexahydrate [7774-34-7] has m 30o and d 1.67.
- IncompatibilitiesThe solution in water is a weak base. Reacts with zinc in presence of moisture, forming highlyflammable hydrogen gas. Dissolves violently in water with generation of much heat. Incompatible with water, bromine trifluoride; 2-furan, percarboxylic acid. May attack some building materials and metals in the presence of moisture.
Calcium chloride dihydrate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Calcium chloride hexahydrate Copper(II) chloride dihydrate CALCIUM CALCIUM CHLORIDE DIHYDRATE SIGMAULTRA Calcium Chloride, Dihydrate, MB Grade (1.02383) CALCIUM CHLORIDE DIHYDRATE REAGENTPLUS CALCIUM CHLORIDE DIHYDRATE U CALCIUM CHLORIDE TETRAHYDRATE GLUCOSAMINE SULFATE CALCIUM CHLORIDE Calcium chloride dihydrate Thionyl chloride Sodium chloride CHLORIDE STANDARD Methylene Chloride Choline chloride Ammonium chloride Potassium chloride Polyvinyl chloride
Calcium chloride dihydrateSupplierMore
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Company Name:Wuhan Ji Ye Sheng Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Hubei shengdali Chemical Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:18995558541 027-83629626-
- Company Name:Tianjin Zhongxin Chemtech Co., Ltd.
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-