ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Metal halide and Halogen salt > Metal chlorides and salt > Barium chloride
Basic information Soluble barium salt Chemical properties Uses Hazardous characteristics First-aid measure Solubility in water Toxicity Production method Hazards & Safety Information Safety Related Supplier
- Product Name:Barium chloride
- Synonyms: BARIUM CHLORIDE ANHYD PWD BARIUM CHLORIDE BARIUM CHLORIDE SOLUTION R1 BARIUM (II) CHLORIDE BARIUM ATOMIC SPECTROSCOPY STANDARD BARIUM, AA STANDARD Barium atomic spectroscopy standard concentrate Barium chloride solution
- Product Categories: Inorganic Chemicals Inorganics Barium Salts BariumMetal and Ceramic Science Crystal Grade Inorganics Salts Synthetic Reagents A - FSynthetic Reagents Barium Inorganic Salts Salt Solutions Volumetric Solutions By Reference Material Concentrates (e.g. FIXANAL) Reference Material Silver nitrateTitration Salt Concentrates metal halide 56: Ba Barium Salts Beaded Materials Chemical Synthesis Crystal Grade Inorganics Inorganic Salts Materials Science Metal and Ceramic Science Synthetic Reagents
- Mol File:10361-37-2.mol
Barium chloride Chemical Properties
- Melting point:963 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:1560°C
- Density 3.856 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility H2O: soluble
- form beads
- color White
- Specific Gravity3.9
- PH5-8 (50g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- Water Solubility Soluble in water and methanol. Insoluble in acids, ethanol, acetone and ethyl acetate. Slightly soluble in nitric acid and hydrochloric acid.
- Sensitive Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,971
- CAS DataBase Reference10361-37-2(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceBarium dichloride(10361-37-2)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemBarium chloride (BaCl2)(10361-37-2)
- Hazard Codes T,Xi,Xn
- Risk Statements 22-25-20-36/37/38-36/38-36
- Safety Statements 45-36-26-36/37/39
- RIDADR UN 3264 8/PG 3
- WGK Germany 1
- RTECS CQ8750000
- TSCA Yes
- HS Code 2827 39 85
- HazardClass 6.1
- PackingGroup III
- Hazardous Substances Data10361-37-2(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 orally in Rabbit: 118 mg/kg
Barium chloride Usage And Synthesis
- Soluble barium saltBarium chloride is one of the most important soluble barium salts, it is also known as "salting barium", the formula is BaCl2, it has colorless monoclinic and colorless cubic two crystals, monoclinic crystal turns into cubic crystal at 962℃. At room temperature it is white lustrous monoclinic crystal, odorless, bitter and salty. It is soluble in water, insoluble in acetone, ethanol and ether, slightly soluble in acid, sulfuric acid. Crystallization from aqueous solution of barium chloride often contains two crystal water. When heated to 113℃, it loses crystal water and becomes anhydrous barium chloride, it is white powder. It can be used for identification and separation of SO42-ions, purify the brine water, mainly used for the manufacture of barium salts and pigments, it can also be used as hard water softener, wool and leather industry mordant, pesticides for controlling plant pests. Preparation of industrial barium chloride is mainly used barite as material which containing high components of barium sulfate barite, coal and calcium chloride is mixed, and calcined to get barium chloride, reaction is as follows: BaSO4 + 4C + CaCl2 → BaCl2 + CaS + 4CO ↑.
- Chemical propertiesIt is colorless monoclinic crystal. (Α type) it is soluble in water, slightly soluble in hydrochloric acid, nitric acid, very slightly soluble in alcohol.
- Uses(1) Barium chloride is mainly used for heat treatment of metals, barium salt manufacturing, electronic instruments, and used as water softener.
(2) It can be used as dehydrating agent and analysis reagents, it is used for machining heat treatment Jing, see other barium chloride dihydrate.
(3) Calibration instruments and devices, evaluation methodology, quality assurance/quality control.
- Hazardous characteristicsBarium chloride is noncombustible. It is highly toxic. When contacts boron trifluoride, violent reaction can occur. Swallowed or inhaled can cause poisoning, it is mainly through the respiratory tract and digestive tract to invade the human body, it will cause drooling and burning esophagus, stomach pain, cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, high blood pressure, no law firm pulse, cramps, a lot of cold sweat, weak muscle strength, gait, vision and speech problems, difficulty breathing, dizziness, tinnitus, consciousness usually clear. In severe cases, it can cause sudden death. Barium ions can cause muscle stimulant, then gradually transforms into paralysis. Rat oral LD50150mg/kg, mouse peritoneal LD5054mg/kg, rats are intravenously LD5020mg/kg, orally in dog LD5090mg/kg.
- First-aid measureWhen skin contacts it, rinsing with water, then thoroughly washing with soap. When eye contacts, flushing with water. So that patients inhaled dust should leave from the contaminated area, move to fresh air place, rest and keep warm, if necessary, artificial respiration should be taken, seek medical attention. When swallowed, immediately rinse the mouth, gastric lavage should be taken with warm water or 5% sodium hydrosulfite for catharsis. Even swallows more than 6h, gastric lavage is also necessary. Intravenous infusion is slowly taken with 1% sodium sulfate of 500ml~1 000ml, intravenous injection can also be taken with 10% sodium thiosulfate of 10ml~20ml. Potassium and symptomatic treatment should be carried out.
Soluble barium salts of barium chloride is rapidly absorbed, so the symptoms develop rapidly, at any time cardiac arrest or respiratory muscle paralysis can cause death. Therefore, first aid must be against the clock.
- Solubility in waterGrams which dissolves in per 100 ml of water at different temperatures (℃):
31.2g/0 ℃; 33.5g/10 ℃; 35.8g/20 ℃; 38.1g/30 ℃; 40.8g/40 ℃
46.2g/60 ℃; 52.5g/80 ℃; 55.8g/90 ℃; 59.4g/100 ℃.
- ToxicitySee barium chloride dihydrate.
- Production methodBarium chloride dihydrate is heated to above 150℃ by dehydration to obtain anhydrous barium chloride products. its
BaCl2 • 2H2O [△] → BaCl2 + 2H2O
- Hazards & Safety InformationCategory: toxic substances.
Toxicity grading: highly toxic.
Acute oral toxicity-rat LD50: 118 mg/kg; Oral-Mouse LD50: 150 mg/kg
Flammability hazard characteristics: It is non-combustible; fire and toxic chloride fumes containing barium compounds.
Storage characteristics: Treasury ventilation low-temperature drying; it should be stored separately with food additives.
Extinguishing agent: Water, carbon dioxide, dry, sandy soil.
Professional Standards: TLV-TWA 0.5 mg (barium)/cubic meter; STEL 1.5 mg (barium)/cubic meter.
- DescriptionBarium dichloride is a white solid, odorless, hygroscopic chemical substance. Barium dichloride is used in the manufacture of pigments, in the manufacture of other barium salts and in fireworks to give a bright green color. It is one of the most common watersoluble salts of barium. Like other barium salts, it is toxic and imparts a yellow-green coloration to a flame. Barium chloride has wide application in the laboratory.
- Chemical PropertiesBarium chloride,BaCI2, is a colorless toxic salt with a melting point of 963°C. It is soluble in water. Barium chloride is used in metal surface treatment and as a rat poison.
- Physical propertiesBarium chloride has the formula, BaCl2 and is an ionic chemical compound. It is one of the most important water-soluble salts of barium-containing compounds. Like other barium salts, it is toxic and imparts a yellow-green coloration to a flame. It is also hygroscopic. Barium chloride was the by-product of the discovery of radium by Madame Curie (1898).When refining radium, the final separation resulted in barium chloride and radium chloride. BaCl2 crystallizes in both the cubic “fluorite” and “lead chloride” crystal structures, both of which accommodate the preference of the large Ba2+ ion for coordination numbers greater than six.
- UsesChemicals (artificial barium sulfate, other bar- ium salts), reagents, lubrication oil additives, boiler compounds, textile dyeing, pigments, manufacture of white leather.
- UsesAs a cheap, soluble salt of barium,
bariumchloride finds wide application in the laboratory.
It is commonly used as a test for sulfate ion. In industry,
barium chloride is mainly used chiefly in the synthesis
of pigments and in the manufacture of rodenticides
and pharmaceuticals. It is also used:
? In the purification of brine solution in caustic chlorine plants,
? In the manufacture of heat treatment salts,
? For case hardening of steel,
? In the manufacture of pigments,
? In the manufacture of other barium salts such as barium hydroxide,
? In fireworks to give a bright green color. However, its toxicity limits its applicability,
? As a flux in the manufacture of magnesium metal,
? For making color kinescope glass ceramics,
? In wastewater treatment,
? For the production of PVC stabilizers, oil lubricants, barium chromate and barium fluoride,
? For stimulating the heart and other muscles for medicinal purposes,
? For softening water,
? For manufacturing of other barium salts used as pesticides, pigments, boiler detergent,
? As a mordant in dyeing and printing textiles,
? In the manufacture of caustic soda, polymers, and stabilizers.
- UsesBarium chloride (BaCl2) is used in the manufacture of paint pigments and dyeing textiles and as an additive in oils. It is also used as a water softener.
- PreparationBarium chloride can be prepared from barium hydroxide or barium carbonate, the latter being found naturally as the mineral “Witherite”. These basic salts react to give hydrated barium chloride. On an industrial scale, it is prepared via a two-step process
- DefinitionChEBI: The inorganic dichloride salt of barium.
- Definitionbarium chloride: A white compound,BaCl2. The anhydrous compoundhas two crystalline forms: anα form (monoclinic; r.d. 3.856),which transforms at 962°C to a βform (cubic; r.d. 3.917; m.p. 963°C;b.p. 1560°C). There is also a dihydrate,BaCl2.2H2O (cubic; r.d. 3.1),which loses water at 113°C. It is preparedby dissolving barium carbonate(witherite) in hydrochloric acid andcrystallizing out the dihydrate. Thecompound is used in the extractionof barium by electrolysis.
- General DescriptionAny of a variety of substances that contain barium. Most are whitish colored crystalline solids. They tend to be soluble in water and denser than water. They may be toxic by inhalation or possibly skin absorption. They are often used to make other chemicals.
- Air & Water ReactionsWater soluble.
- Reactivity ProfileBARIUM CHLORIDE may react violently with BrF3 and 2-furan percarboxylic acid in its anhydrous form.
- HazardIngestion of 0.8 g may be fatal.
- Fire HazardNon-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes. Some are oxidizers and may ignite combustibles (wood, paper, oil, clothing, etc.). Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated.
- Industrial usesBarium chloride (BaCl2·2H2O) is a colorless, white powder highly soluble in water (25% at 10 °C). It is quite a toxic reagent. Barium chloride is used during borite flotation as an activator. Barium chloride also has a depressing effect on fluorite and cassiterite.
- Safety ProfileA poison by ingestion, subcutaneous, intravenous, and intraperitoneal routes. Inhalation absorption of barium chloride equals 60-80%; oral absorption equals 10-30%. Experimental reproductive effects. Mutation data reported. See also BARIUM COMPOUNDS (soluble). When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of Cl-.
Barium chloride Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation ProductsSodium hydroxideSodiumPotassium hydroxide Zinc chlorideSodium chlorateBarium sulfateBarium carbonateLithium carbonateChromium oxidePotassium bromate Barium hydroxide octahydrate6-BROMOMETHYL-PTERIDINE-2,4-DIAMINE HBRSodium bromateCalcium chloride dihydrateBarium chromateBarium nitrateChenodeoxycholic acidBARIUM NITRITE(2,4-DIAMINOPTERIDIN-6-YL)METHANOL HYDROCHLORIDE HYDRATEBarium peroxide5-Formylsalicylic acidZINC CYANIDE2,4,5,6-TETRAAMINOPYRIMIDINEBarium molybdateMAGNESIUM CHLORATESodium diphenylamine-4-sulfonatebarium fluxing agentTARTRONIC ACID2,6-DINITROPHENOLBARIUM PERCHLORATE TRIHYDRATE
- Raw materialsBarium chloride dihydrate
- Barium carbonate Barium nitrate Barium hydroxide barium chloride fluoride Potassium chloride 20 mM - Barium chloride 1 mM - TRIS Buffer pH 7.5: 50 mM - Acetone 15% solution ARGININAMIDE 20 MM - BARIUM CHLORIDE 1 M 0 1 MOL/L BARIUM CHLORIDE BARIUM CHLORIDE - STANDARD VOLUMETRIC SOLUTION (0.05 M) BARIUM CHLORIDE SOLUTION 0.005 M Barium chloride 1 mM - Sodium cacodylate Buffer pH 6.0: 50 mM - Ethanol 20% solution BARIUM HYDRIDE Sodium chloride Barium chloride Potassium chloride CHLORIDE STANDARD Barium sulfate Choline chloride Methylene Chloride
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 +86-10-82848833
- Products Intro:Product Name:Barium chloride, anhydrous, 98+%
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Tel:400-610-6006; 021-67582000
- Products Intro:Product Name:BariuM chloride, ultra dry, 99.95% (Metals basis)
- Company Name:Beijing dtftchem Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:13651141086; 86(10)60275028、60275820
- Products Intro:Product Name:Barium chloride
- Company Name:Energy Chemical
- Tel:021-58432009 / 400-005-6266
- Products Intro:Product Name:BariuM chloride
- Company Name:JinYan Chemicals(ShangHai) Co.,Ltd.
- Products Intro:CAS:10361-37-2