Tetramethylsilane Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-27 °C
- Boiling point:26-28 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.648 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 11.66 psi ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- RTECS VV5706000
- Flash point:−17 °F
- storage temp. 0-6°C
- solubility 0.02g/l
- form liquid
- Specific Gravity0.648
- color colorless
- explosive limit1.0-37.9%(V)
- Water Solubility 0.02 G/L (25 ºC)
- Hydrolytic Sensitivity1: no significant reaction with aqueous systems
- Merck 14,9229
- BRN 1696908
- Stability:Stable. Highly flammable - readily forms explosive mixtures with air. Note the boiling point close to room temperature, the low flash point and high vapour pressure. Incompatible with oxidizing agents. Refrigerate before opening.
- CAS DataBase Reference75-76-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceSilane, tetramethyl-(75-76-3)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemTetramethylsilane (75-76-3)
Tetramethylsilane Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesColorless clear liquid
- UsesNMR reference standard. In semiconductor applications (chemical vapor deposition). Tetramethylsilane (TMS) is used as a chemical shift reference for proton, carbon-13, and silicon-29 analysis in organic solvents and is given 0 as its chemical shift position.
- DefinitionChEBI: An organosilicon compound that is silane in which the hydrogens have been replaced by methyl groups.
- General DescriptionA colorless, mildly acidic volatile liquid. Flash point 0°F. Boiling point 78°F. A serious fire hazard. Mildly toxic by ingestion. Emits acrid smoke and fumes when heated to high temperatures. Less dense than water and insoluble in water, but soluble in most organic solvents. Used as an aviation fuel and as an internal standard for nmr analytical instruments.
- Air & Water ReactionsHighly flammable. Tetramethylsilane is insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileHydrides, such as Tetramethylsilane, are reducing agents and react rapidly and dangerously with oxygen and with other oxidizing agents, even weak ones. Thus, they are likely to ignite on contact with alcohols. Hydrides are incompatible with acids, alcohols, amines, and aldehydes.
- HazardFlammable, high fire risk.
- Health HazardMay cause toxic effects if inhaled or absorbed through skin. Inhalation or contact with material may irritate or burn skin and eyes. Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution.
- Fire HazardHIGHLY FLAMMABLE: Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Containers may explode when heated. Many liquids are lighter than water.
- Purification MethodsDistil it from conc H2SO4 (after shaking with it) or LiAlH4, through a 5ft vacuum-jacketed column packed with glass helices into an ice-cooled condenser, then percolate it through silica gel to remove traces of halide. [Beilstein 4 IV 3875.]
Tetramethylsilane Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Tetrapropoxysilane (BROMOMETHYL)TRIMETHYLSILANE 1-TRIMETHYLSILYLMETHANOL 2-THIENYLTRIMETHYLSILANE 3-(TRIMETHYLSILYL) PROPIONIC ACID Chloromethyltrimethylsilane 2-(Trimethylsilyl)ethanol Tetramethylsilane Diethoxymethylsilane Methyldimethoxysilane METHYLSILANE Methyltriethoxysilane Iodotrimethylsilane DIMETHYLSILANE Methyltrimethoxysilane tert-Butyldimethylsilyl chloride Bromotrimethylsilane TRIMETHYLSILANE
- Company Name:Shanghai Longyun Biotech Co Ltd. Gold
- Tel:+86 (21) 33920504
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390