ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Organosilicon compounds > Methyltrichlorosilane
Methyltrichlorosilane Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-77 °C
- Boiling point:66 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.273 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 5.2 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 150 mm Hg ( 25 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:5 °F
- storage temp. Flammables area
- form liquid
- Specific Gravity1.275
- color colorless
- explosive limit5.5-10.4%(V)
- Water Solubility REACTS
- FreezingPoint -77.8℃
- Hydrolytic Sensitivity8: reacts rapidly with moisture, water, protic solvents
- Sensitive Moisture Sensitive
- BRN 1361381
- Stability:Stable, but reacts violently with water. Highly flammable. Incompatible with moisture, water, strong bases, strong acids, strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference75-79-6(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceSilane, trichloromethyl-(75-79-6)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMethyltrichlorosilane (75-79-6)
- Hazard Codes F,Xi,C
- Risk Statements 11-14-36/37/38-37-35-22-21-20
- Safety Statements 26-39-45-36/37/39
- RIDADR UN 1250 3/PG 1
- WGK Germany 1
- RTECS VV4550000
- F 10-21
- Autoignition Temperature>760 °F
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 3
- PackingGroup I
- HS Code 29310095
- Hazardous Substances Data75-79-6(Hazardous Substances Data)
Methyltrichlorosilane Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesColorless clear liquid
- UsesIntermediate for silicones.
- Production MethodsProduced by Grignard reaction of silicon tetrachloride and methylmagnesium chloride.
- General DescriptionA colorless fuming liquid with a pungent odor. Flash point 8°F. Vapor and liquid may cause burns. Denser than water. Vapors are heavier than air.
- Reactivity ProfileChlorosilanes, such as Methyltrichlorosilane, are compounds in which silicon is bonded to from one to four chlorine atoms with other bonds to hydrogen and/or alkyl groups. Chlorosilanes react with water, moist air, or steam to produce heat and toxic, corrosive fumes of hydrogen chloride. They may also produce flammable gaseous H2. They can serve as chlorination agents. Chlorosilanes react vigorously with both organic and inorganic acids and with bases to generate toxic or flammable gases.
- HazardFlammable, dangerous fire risk, may formexplosive mixture with air. Strong irritant.
- Health HazardAs with other chlorosilanes, acute exposures may be highly toxic and may cause death or permanent injury after very short exposures to small quantitites. Chronic exposures may be moderately toxic and involve irreversible and reversible changes. Skin contact may produce severe burns with pain and risk of secondary infections. Ingestion may produce oral, esophageal, and stomach burns, intensity will vary from mild to very severe, gastrointestinal damage is rare but may occur.
- Fire HazardToxic hydrogen chloride and phosgene gases may form in fires. Reacts with water or steam to form hydrochloric acid. Vapor forms flammable mixture with air. May form explosive mixture in air. Avoid contact with water or moist air.
- Safety ProfilePoison by inhalation and intraperitoneal routes. Moderately toxic by ingestion. A severe irritant to skin, eyes, and mucous membranes. Flammable when exposed to heat or flame; can react vigorously with oxidizing materials. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of Cl-.
- Purification MethodsMethyl trichlorosilane [75-79-6] M 149.5, b 13,7o/101mm, 64.3o/710.8mm, 65.5o/745mm, 6 6 . 1o/atm, d 4 1.263, n D If very pure, distil it before use. 20 1.4110. The purity is checked by NMR ( in MeCN is 13.14ppm with respect to Me4Si). Possible contaminants are other silanes which can be removed by fractional distillation through a Stedman column (p 11) of >72 theoretical plates with total reflux and 0.35% take-off. This apparatus should be under N2 gas at a rate of 12 bubbles/minute fed into the line using an Hg manometer to control the pressure. It is sensitive to H2O. [Gillam et al. J Am Chem Soc 73 4252 1951, Olah et al. J Org Chem 48 3667 1983, Beilstein 4 IV 4212.]
Methyltrichlorosilane Preparation Products And Raw materials
- 1,2-DIBROMOETHYLTRICHLOROSILANE tert-Butyltrichlorosilane N-OCTYLTRICHLOROSILANE 1-CHLOROETHYLTRICHLOROSILANE Trichlorovinylsilane Cyclohexyltrichlorosilane 2-[2-(TRICHLOROSILYL)ETHYL]PYRIDINE DODECYLTRICHLOROSILANE HEXYLTRICHLOROSILANE N-DECYLTRICHLOROSILANE 2-(CARBOMETHOXY)ETHYLTRICHLOROSILANE (DICHLOROPHENYL)TRICHLOROSILANE N-OCTADECYLTRICHLOROSILANE Methyltrichlorosilane 3-Chloropropyltrichlorosilane (Chloromethyl)trichlorosilane Phenyltrichlorosilane Trichlorosilane
- Company Name:Hangzhou Bayee Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Shandong Ono Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:0539-6362799（To 20）
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-