ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Organosilicon compounds > Phenyltrichlorosilane
Phenyltrichlorosilane Chemical Properties
- Melting point:-127°C
- Boiling point:201 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.321 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:196 °F
- form liquid
- Specific Gravity1.324
- color colorless
- explosive limit1.6-9.2%(V)
- Water Solubility reacts
- Sensitive Moisture Sensitive
- Hydrolytic Sensitivity8: reacts rapidly with moisture, water, protic solvents
- BRN 508730
- CAS DataBase Reference98-13-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferencePhenyl trichlorosilane(98-13-5)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemTrichlorophenylsilane (98-13-5)
- Hazard Codes T,C,T+
- Risk Statements 21/22-23-34-21-37-35-26-14
- Safety Statements 23-26-36/37/39-45-28
- RIDADR UN 1804 8/PG 2
- WGK Germany 1
- RTECS VV6650000
- F 10-21
- TSCA Yes
- HazardClass 8
- PackingGroup II
- HS Code 29319019
- Hazardous Substances Data98-13-5(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 orl-rat: 2390 mg/kg AMIHBC 10,61,54
Phenyltrichlorosilane Usage And Synthesis
- PreparationThe high-temperature condensation (HTC) technique proved to be very convenient and economical for the production of phenyltrichlorosilane and in recent years has become one of the main industrial techniques for its synthesis.
The synthesis of phenyltrichlorosilane by HTC technique is conducted according to the reaction:
HSiCI3 + C6H5CI →（HCI）→ C6H5SiCI3
In this case, similarly to the vinyltrichlorosilane case, in the conditions of synthesis (600-640 °C) there is a secondary reaction of reduction, which forms silicon tetrachloride and benzene. However, if the process is conducted in the presence of an initiator (5% of diazomethane), it is possible to reduce the temperature down to 500-550 °C. Then the secondary reaction proceeds very slowly, which increases the yield of phenyltrichlorosilane by 1.5 times. To suppress the reduction process, one can also add benzene and silicon tetrachloride into the reactive mixture. It is also possible to boost the yield of phenyltrichlorosilane and increase the degree of the chlorobenzene transformation by using two subsequent reactors.
- Chemical PropertiesColorless transparent liquid
- Chemical PropertiesPhenyl trichlorosilane is a colorless to light yellow liquid.
- General DescriptionA colorless liquid with a pungent odor. Flash point 91°F. Decomposed by moisture or water to hydrochloric acid with evolution of heat. Corrosive to metals and tissue.
- Reactivity ProfileChlorosilanes, such as Phenyltrichlorosilane are compounds in which silicon is bonded to from one to four chlorine atoms with other bonds to hydrogen and/or alkyl groups. Chlorosilanes react with water, moist air, or steam to produce heat and toxic, corrosive fumes of hydrogen chloride. They may also produce flammable gaseous H2. They can serve as chlorination agents. Chlorosilanes react vigorously with both organic and inorganic acids and with bases to generate toxic or flammable gases.
- Health HazardHighly toxic; may cause death or permanent injury after short inhalation exposure to small quantity. Chemical burns to all exposed membranes and tissues with severe tissue destruction. Inhalation -- lungs may fill up with fluid or throat may swell causing suffocation. Eyes -- damage to corneas may cause blindness. Delayed: after oral exposure stomach and intestines may perforate or be obstructed by scar tissue.
- Fire HazardDo not get water inside containers. Vapors may travel to ignition source and flash back. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Flammable/combustible material; may be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Container may explode in heat of fire. Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Emits toxic chloride fumes when heated to decomposition. Do not mix with halogenated compounds, because a trace quantity of free halogen may cause violent explosion. May react violently with water. Readily hydrolyzed in water/moisture, producing hydrochloric acid. Avoid mixing with water or exposing to moisture.
- Safety ProfilePoison by inhalation and intravenous routes. Moderately toxic by ingestion and skin contact. A corrosive irritant to skin, eyes, and mucous membranes. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of Cl-. See also CHLOROSILANES.
- Potential ExposurePhenyl trichlorosilane is used to make silicones for water repellants, insulating resins; heat resistant paints; and as a laboratory reagent
- ShippingUN1804 Phenyltrichlorosilane, Hazard class: 8; Labels: 8-Corrosive material.
- Incompatibilitiesvapor form explosive mixture with air. Incompatible with oxidizers (chlorates, nitrates, peroxides, permanganates, perchlorates, chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc.); contact may cause fires or explosions. Keep away from alkaline materials, strong bases, strong acids, oxoacids, epoxides. The aqueous solution is higly acidic. Chlorosilanes react vigorously with bases and both organic and inorganic acids generating toxic and/or flammable gases. Chlorosilanes react with water, moist air, or steam to produce heat and toxic, corrosive fumes of hydrogen chloride. They may also produce flammable gaseous hydrogen. Attacks metals in the presence of moisture.
Phenyltrichlorosilane Preparation Products And Raw materials
- (N,N-Diethyl-3-aminopropyl)trimethoxysilane Dichlorodiphenylsilane 3-Mercaptopropylmethyldimethoxysilane PHENYLSILANE Phenyltrichlorosilane,phenylmethyldichlorosilane polymer,Phenyltrichlorosilane, phenylmethyldichlorosilane polymer PHENYL-D5-TRICHLOROSILANE 4-(CHLOROMETHYL)PHENYLTRICHLOROSILANE,(P-CHLOROMETHYL)PHENYLTRICHLOROSILANE (DICHLOROPHENYL)TRICHLOROSILANE P-TOLYLTRICHLOROSILANE CHLOROPHENYLTRICHLOROSILANE BIS(TRICHLOROSILYL)BENZENE BROMOPHENYLTRICHLOROSILANE PENTAFLUOROPHENYLTRICHLOROSILANE Methyltrichlorosilane N-OCTADECYLTRICHLOROSILANE 3-Chloropropyltrichlorosilane (Chloromethyl)trichlorosilane Phenyltrichlorosilane
- Company Name:Dalian Yuanyong Organosilicon Plant Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390