ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Carboxylic acids and derivatives > Carboxylic Acid Anhydrides > Succinic anhydride
Succinic anhydride Chemical Properties
- Melting point:118-120 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:261 °C(lit.)
- Density 1,572 g/cm3
- vapor density 3.5 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 1 mm Hg ( 92 °C)
- refractive index 1.4688 (estimate)
- Flash point:157°C
- storage temp. Store at 0-5°C
- solubility 62.9g/l Hydrolysis
- Specific Gravity1.2340 (20℃)
- PH2.7 (10g/l, H2O)
- Water Solubility <0.1 g/100 mL at 21 ºC (decomposes)
- Sensitive Moisture Sensitive
- Merck 14,8870
- BRN 108441
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with oxidising agents, strong acids, strong bases, alcohols, amines. Avoid exposure to water or moisture.
- CAS DataBase Reference108-30-5(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference2,5-Furandione, dihydro-(108-30-5)
- IARC3 (Vol. 15, Sup 7) 1987
- EPA Substance Registry SystemSuccinic anhydride (108-30-5)
Succinic anhydride Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionSuccinic anhydride, also called di hydro - 2,5- furandione , is an organic compound with the molecular formula C4H4O3.This colorless solid is the acid anhydride of succinic acid.
- Chemical Propertiesfine white crystalline solid
- UsesIt was used in the preparation of covalently cross-linked oxidized-alginate/N-succinyl-chitosan hydrogels, as injectable systems towards tissue engineering.It was also used in preparing functionalized oxide surfaces on a chip.
- UsesSuccinic Anhydride is an acidulant that hydrolyzes very slowly to succinic acid in water. it has thermal stability and a low melting point of 118°c which permits it to be used in products at compara- tively low temperatures. it is used as a leavening acidulant for bak- ing powder.
- ApplicationAlkyl succinic anhydride (ASA) is used as a sizing agent or wet strength additive in paper production.
- Production MethodsThe compound is produced from succinic anhydride and hydrogen peroxide . This material must be stabilized by using a dehydrating agent such as disodium sulfate or magnesium sulfate.
- PreparationA solution of succinic acid (500 mg, 42 mmol) and triethylamine (1.23 mL, 42 mmol) in anhydrous THF (120 mL) was allowed to react with triphosgene (42 mg, 7.0 mmol) at ice-water temperature for 10 min. The reaction mixture was subsequently stirred for a further 15 min at room temperature. The solution was then filtered, and the filtrate was concentrated to dryness. The residue was crystallized from ethyl acetate to afford the desired product as white crystals (370 mg, 85%).
- Synthesis Reference(s)Synthetic Communications, 23, p. 419, 1993 DOI: 10.1080/00397919308009796
- General DescriptionColorless needles or white crystalline solid. Melting point 237°F. Sublimes at 239°F at 5 mm Hg pressure; and at 198°F and 1 mm Hg pressure. Moderately toxic and an irritant.
- Air & Water ReactionsReacts slowly with water. Insoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileSuccinic anhydride reacts exothermically with water. Reactions are usually slow, but might become violent if local heating accelerates their rate. Acids accelerate the reaction with water. Incompatible with acids, strong oxidizing agents, alcohols, amines, and bases.
- Fire HazardFlash point data for Succinic anhydride are not available, however, Succinic anhydride is probably combustible.
- Safety ProfileExperimental teratogenic effects. Moderately toxic by ingestion. A severe eye irritant. Mutation data reported. Questionable carcinogen with experimental neoplastigenic data. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes. See also ANHYDRIDES.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise the anhydride from redistilled acetic anhydride or CHCl3, then filter, wash with diethyl ether and dry it in a vacuum. [Beilstein 17 H 606, 17 V 6.]
Succinic anhydride Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation Productsgamma-ButyrolactoneGAMMA-CHLOROBUTYROPHENONE4-(4-Methoxyphenyl)butyric acid(4S)-HYDROXY-3-METHYL-2-(2-PROPENYL)-2-CYCLOPENTENE-1-ONE4-(2-THIENYL)BUTYRIC ACIDItaconic acid1-PYRENEBUTYRIC ACID3-(4-OXO-3,5,6,7-TETRAHYDRO-4H-CYCLOPENTA[4,5]THIENO[2,3-D]PYRIMIDIN-2-YL)PROPANOIC ACIDN-HydroxysuccinimideMETHYL 4-(4-(BIS(2-CHLOROETHYL)AMINO)PHENYL)BUTYRATE4-OXO-4-(2-THIENYL)BUTYRIC ACID4-(4-Aminophenyl)butyric acidMETHYL 4-(4-(BIS(2-HYDROXYETHYL)AMINO)PHENYL)BUTYRATEMONO-METHYL SUCCINATEIMAZODANDiethyl sebacateSUCCINAMIC ACID3-(4-Chlorobenzoyl)propionic acidErythromycin ethylsuccinate Daminozide3-(4-ACETYLAMINOBENZOYL)PROPANOIC ACID3-(4-FLUOROBENZOYL)PROPIONIC ACIDTrepibutone3-(4-METHOXYBENZOYL)PROPIONIC ACID3-BENZOYLPROPIONIC ACIDFenbufenDICLOMEZINEArtesunateEthyl 3-(chloroformyl)propionate
- Raw materialsPhosphorus oxychloride1,4-DioxaneHydrogenAluminum oxide Maleic anhydride Succinic acidDehydrolyzing agent1,2,3,4-Tetrahydronaphthalene
- cis-1,2,3,6-Tetrahydrophthalic anhydride Phthalic anhydride Maleic anhydride MALICANHYDRIDE 2,3-Butanedione Dimethylglyoxime Trifluoromethanesulfonic anhydride Caronic anhydride Succinic anhydride Succinic acid Tetrahydro Acetic anhydride 1,4-DIAMINOBUTANE DODECENYLSUCCINIC ANHYDRIDE Glutaric anhydride Chromium(VI) oxide Disodium succinate Polysebacic acid anhydride
- Company Name:- Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Shenren Fine Chemical Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13901813428 021-69791786-
- Company Name:Handan Huajun Chemicals Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13303008150 0310-8166583
- Company Name:Shanghai Aladdin Bio-Chem Technology Co.,LTD Gold
- Tel:400-620-6333 021-20337333-801
- Company Name:Hefei TNJ Chemical Industry Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15856988503 551-65418695-