ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Hydrocarbons and derivatives > Aromatic hydrocarbons > 1,2,3,4-Tetrahydronaphthalene
1,2,3,4-Tetrahydronaphthalene Chemical Properties
- Melting point:−35 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:207 °C(lit.)
- Density 0.973 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 4.55 (vs air)
- vapor pressure 0.18 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- refractive index n
- Flash point:171 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility 0.045g/l
- form Fluid
- explosive limit0.8%, 100°F
- Odor Threshold0.0093ppm
- Water Solubility INSOLUBLE
- Sensitive Air Sensitive
- Merck 14,9221
- BRN 1446407
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference119-64-2(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceTetralin(119-64-2)
- EPA Substance Registry System1,2,3,4-Tetrahydronaphthalene (119-64-2)
- Hazard Codes Xi,N,Xn
- Risk Statements 19-36/38-51/53-65-40
- Safety Statements 26-28-61-28A-62-36/37
- RIDADR UN 3082 9/PG 3
- WGK Germany 2
- RTECS QK3850000
- Autoignition Temperature723 °F
- TSCA Yes
- HS Code 2902 90 00
- HazardClass 9
- PackingGroup III
- Hazardous Substances Data119-64-2(Hazardous Substances Data)
- ToxicityLD50 orally in rats: 2.86 g/kg (Smyth)
1,2,3,4-Tetrahydronaphthalene Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertiescolourless liquid with a mouldy smell
- Chemical PropertiesTetralin or 1,2,3,4-tetrahydronaphthalene is a flammable liquid.
- UsesAs a solvent for fats and oils and as an alternative to turpentine in polishes and paint; insecticide.
- UsesDegreasing agent. Solvent for naphthalene, fats, resins, oils, waxes, used instead of turpentine in lacquers, shoe polishes, floor waxes.
- DefinitionChEBI: An ortho-fused bicyclic hydrocarbon that is 1,2,3,4-tetrahydro derivative of naphthalene.
- Production MethodsTetralin is prepared by the catalytic hydrogenation of naphthalene or during acidic, catalytic hydrocracking of phenanthrene. At 700℃, tetralin yields tars that contain appreciable quantities of 3,4-benzopyrene (172a).
- Synthesis Reference(s)Journal of the American Chemical Society, 111, p. 314, 1989 DOI: 10.1021/ja00183a048
Tetrahedron Letters, 12, p. 1853, 1971
- General DescriptionA light colored liquid. May be irritating to skin, eyes and mucous membranes. Flash point 100-141°F.
- Air & Water ReactionsFlammable.
- Reactivity Profile1,2,3,4-Tetrahydronaphthalene may react vigorously with strong oxidizing agents. May react exothermically with reducing agents to release hydrogen gas. Oxidizes readily in air to form unstable peroxides that may explode spontaneously [Bretherick 1979 p.151-154].
- HazardIrritant to eyes and skin; narcotic in high concentration.
- Health HazardLiquid may cause nervous disturbance, green coloration of urine, and skin and eye irritation
- CarcinogenicityIn male and female F344/N and NBR rats exposed to tetralin at concentrations of 0, 30, 60, or 120 ppm, 6 h plus T90 (12 min) per day, 5 days per week for 105 weeks, there were slightly increased incidences of cortical renal tubule adenoma in male rats. The incidence of cortical renal tubule adenomawas also significantly increased in the 120 ppm group. Exposure of male and female B6C3F1 mice to tetralin at concentrations of 0, 30, 60, or 120 ppm, 6 h plus T90 (12 min) per day, 5 days per week for 105 weeks and additional groups of male and female mice to the same concentrations for 12 months led to increased incidence of hemangiosarcoma of the spleen in 120 ppm females (172b).
- Purification MethodsWash tetralin with successive portions of conc H2SO4 until the acid layer is no longer coloured, then wash it with aqueous 10% Na2CO3, and then distilled water. Dry (CaSO4 or Na2SO4), filter, reflux and fractionally distil it under under reduced pressure from sodium or BaO. It can also be purified by repeated fractional freezing. Bass [J Chem Soc 3498 1964] freed tetralin, purified as above, from naphthalene and other impurities by conversion to ammonium tetralin-6-sulfonate. Concentrated H2SO4 (150mL) is added slowly to stirred tetralin (272mL) which is then heated on a water bath for about 2hours for complete solution. The warm mixture, when poured into aqueous NH4Cl solution (120g in 400mL water), gives a white precipitate which, after filtering off, is crystallised from boiling water, washed with 50% aqueous EtOH and dried at 100o. Evaporation of its boiling aqueous solution on a steam bath removes traces of naphthalene. The pure salt (229g) is mixed with conc H2SO4 (266mL) and steam distilled from an oil bath at 165-170o. An ether extract of the distillate is washed with aqueous Na2SO4, and the ether is evaporated, prior to distilling the tetralin from sodium. Tetralin has also been purified via barium tetralin-6-sulfonate, conversion to the sodium salt and decomposed in 60% H2SO4 using superheated steam. [Beilstein 5 H 491, 5 III 1219, 5 IV 1388.]
1,2,3,4-Tetrahydronaphthalene Preparation Products And Raw materials
- 2-Methyl-1-tetralone 1,2,3,4-Tetrahydro-1-naphthylamine 5,7-Dimethyl-1-tetralone 5,6,7,8-TETRAHYDRO-1-NAPHTHOL 1,2,3,4-TETRAHYDRO-1,5-NAPHTHALENEDIOL 5,6,8,9-TETRAHYDROBENZ[A]ANTHRACEN-11(10H)-ONE 1-Amino-5,6,7,8-tetrahydronaphthalene 98%,1-Amino-5,6,7,8-tetrahydronaphthalene, tech., 90% EQUILENIN beta-Methylphenethyl alcohol Dodecahydrotriphenylene 4-Methyl-1-tetralone 1,2,3,4-Tetrahydro-1-naphthol 7-Methoxy-1-tetralone 7-Methoxy-2-tetralone 1,2,3,4-Tetrahydronaphthalene beta-Tetralone 5-Methoxy-2-tetralone 1-Tetralone
- Company Name:Rhawn Reagent Gold
- Tel:18019345275 400-1332688
- Company Name:Nanjing Benzjia Chemical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai Jiaoze Industrial Co., LTD Gold
- Tel:18616909727 021-37318802-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-