ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Carboxylic acids and esters > Aliphatic dicarboxylic acid esters > gamma-Valerolactone
gamma-Valerolactone Chemical Properties
- Melting point:−31 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:207-208 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.05 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor density 3.45 (vs air)
- refractive index n
- FEMA 3103 | GAMMA-VALEROLACTONE
- Flash point:204.8 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- form Liquid
- color Clear colorless
- PH7 (H2O, 20℃)
- Water Solubility MISCIBLE
- JECFA Number220
- BRN 80420
- CAS DataBase Reference108-29-2(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference2(3H)-Furanone, dihydro-5-methyl-(108-29-2)
- EPA Substance Registry System2(3H)-Furanone, dihydro-5-methyl- (108-29-2)
gamma-Valerolactone Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesColorless liquid. Surface tension 30 dynes/cm (25C), viscosity 2.18 cP (25C), pH (anhydrous): 7. pH (10% solution in distilled water): 4.2. Miscible with water and most organic solvents, resins, waxes, etc.; slightly misciblewith zein, beeswax, petrolatum; immiscible with anhydrous glycerin, glue, casein, arabic gum, and soybean protein. Combustible.
- Chemical Propertiesγ-Valerolactone has a sweet, herbaceous odor.
- OccurrenceReported found in boiled beef, beef fat, beer, cacao, Swiss cheese, ground and roasted coffee, roasted filberts, milk fat, dried mushroom, peach, roasted peanuts, heated pork fat, black tea and yogurt. Also reported found in peach, strawberry jam, tomato, wheaten bread, Gruyere cheese, heated butter, cooked beef, white wine, red wine, coffee and Bourbon vanilla.
- UsesDye baths (coupling agent), brake fluids, cutting oils, and as solvent for adhesives, insecticides, and lacquers.
- PreparationBy reduction of levulinic acid followed by cyclization.
- Synthesis Reference(s)Journal of the American Chemical Society, 112, p. 1286, 1990 DOI: 10.1021/ja00159a082
Tetrahedron Letters, 26, p. 5639, 1985 DOI: 10.1016/S0040-4039(01)80907-2
The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 50, p. 3930, 1985 DOI: 10.1021/jo00220a053
- Reactivity Profilegamma-Valerolactone is an ester. Esters react with acids to liberate heat along with alcohols and acids. Strong oxidizing acids may cause a vigorous reaction that is sufficiently exothermic to ignite the reaction products. Heat is also generated by the interaction of esters with caustic solutions. Flammable hydrogen is generated by mixing esters with alkali metals and hydrides. gamma-Valerolactone is incompatible with strong oxidizers. . gamma-Valerolactone is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents. gamma-Valerolactone is also incompatible with strong acids, strong bases and strong reducing agents. .
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by ingestion. A skin irritant. Mutation data reported. Combustible liquid when exposed to heat or flame; can react with oxidizing materials. To fight fire, use water, foam, CO2, dry chemical. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
- Purification MethodsPurify the -lactone by repeated fractional distillation [Boorman & Linstead J Chem Soc 577, 580 1933]. IR: max 1790 (CS2), 1775 (CHCl3) cm-1 [Jones et al. Can J Chem 3 7 2007 1959]. The BF3-complex distils at 110-111o/20mm [Reppe et al. Justus Liebigs Ann Chem 596 179 1955]. It is characterized by conversion to -hydroxy-n-valeramide on treatment with NH3, m 51.5-52o (by slow evaporation of a CHCl3 solution). [Beilstein 17 H 235, 17 I 131, 17 II 288, 17 III/IV 4176, 17/9 V 24.]
gamma-Valerolactone Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Company Name:Qingdao Free Trade Zone United International Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18561902820 0532-83893697-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar
- Company Name:TCI (Shanghai) Development Co., Ltd.
- Tel:021-67121386 / 800-988-0390