ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Flavors and fragrances > Synthetic fragrances > Carboxylic acids and esters > Aliphatic dicarboxylic acid esters > Dimethyl adipate
Dimethyl adipate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:8 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:109-110 °C14 mm Hg(lit.)
- Density 1.062 g/mL at 20 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure 0.2 mm Hg ( 20 °C)
- FEMA 4472 | DIMETHYL ADIPATE
- refractive index n
- Flash point:225 °F
- storage temp. Store below +30°C.
- solubility <1g/l
- form Liquid
- color Clear
- explosive limit0.81-8.1%(V)
- Water Solubility Miscible with alcohols and ether. Immiscible with water.
- JECFA Number1964
- Merck 14,162
- BRN 1707443
- Stability:Stable. Combustible. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, acids, bases reducing agents.
- CAS DataBase Reference627-93-0(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceHexanedioic acid, dimethyl ester(627-93-0)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemDimethyl adipate (627-93-0)
Dimethyl adipate Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionDimethyl adipate (DMA) is a colourless and flammable liquid. It is soluble in alcohol and ether but sparingly soluble in water. DMA is incompatible with strong oxidising agents, and on decomposition, it emits carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, and carbon dioxide. DMA reacts with acids, alkalis, and strong oxidants. DMA is synthesised by the esterification of adipic acid. DMA is part of a dibasic ester (DBE) blend used as a major ingredient in several paint strippers, and the DBE blends used in paint stripping formulations contain a major portion (about 90%) of DMA. DMA is used as a chemical intermediate (polymers, agrochemicals), cellulose resins, a speciality solvent (inks, coatings, adhesives), and an emollient and can also be utilised as a paint remover and plasticiser.
- Chemical PropertiesDimethyl adipate (DMA) is a colorless and flammable liquid. It is soluble in alcohol and ether, but sparingly soluble in water. It reacts with acids, alkalis, and strong oxidants. Dimethyl adipate is synthesized by the esterifi cation of adipic acid. Dimethyl adipate is part of a dibasic ester (DBE) blend used as a major ingredient in several paint strippers; the DBE blends used in paint stripping formulations contain a major portion (about 90%) of DMA. Dimethyl adipate is used as a chemical intermediate and as a plasticizer in the production of paper and cellulose resins.
- Chemical Propertiescolourless liquid
- UsesIt is used as a plasticizer for cellulose-type resins and a finish remover.
- Production MethodsDimethyl adipate is manufactured via esterification of adipic acid and methanol in the presence of an acid catalyst.
- General DescriptionColorless liquid.
- Air & Water ReactionsFlammable. Hydrolyzed by strong mineral acids and strong alkalis.
- Reactivity ProfileDimethyl adipate is an ester. Esters react with acids to liberate heat along with alcohols and acids. Strong oxidizing acids may cause a vigorous reaction that is sufficiently exothermic to ignite the reaction products. Heat is also generated by the interaction of esters with caustic solutions. Flammable hydrogen is generated by mixing esters with alkali metals and hydrides.
- Health HazardMay be harmful by inhalation, ingestion, or skin absorption. May cause irritation.
- Health HazardExposures to dimethyl adipate cause toxicity and adverse health effects in laboratory animals and humans. Workplace exposures to dimethyl adipate by inhalation, ingestion, or skin absorption cause harmful and irritation effects to users.
- Safety ProfileModerately toxic by intraperitoneal route. Experimental teratogenic and reproductive effects. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
- CarcinogenicityIn a chronic inhalation toxicity study of dimethyl adipate, groups of male and female rats were exposed to 400 mg/m3 of dimethyl adipate over a 90-day period. Focal respiratory metaplasia of the olfactory epithelium was found. These nonneoplastic lesions were minimal to mild in severity .
- PrecautionsDuring handling of dimethyl adipate, occupational workers should be careful and use self-contained breathing apparatus, rubber boots, and heavy rubber gloves and avoid prolonged period of exposures. Workers should avoid contact of dimethyl adipate with skin, eyes and nose.
Dimethyl adipate Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Company Name:Shanghai Ditao Chemical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:Alfa Aesar