ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Anesthetic Agents > Skeletal muscle relaxants > Edrophonium chloride
Edrophonium chloride Chemical Properties
- Melting point:162-163 °C (decomp)
- Density 1.0787 (rough estimate)
- refractive index 1.6000 (estimate)
- solubility Very soluble in water, freely soluble in ethanol (96 per cent), practically insoluble in methylene chloride.
- CAS DataBase Reference116-38-1(CAS DataBase Reference)
- WGK Germany 3
- RTECS BQ5870000
- HS Code 2923900100
Edrophonium chloride Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical PropertiesWhite or almost white, crystalline powder
- UsesA reversible Acetylcholinesterase inhibitor.
- UsesMyasthenia Gravis test;Cholinergic
- UsesEdrophonium (chloride) is an acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitor that is known to prevent the breakdown of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine by binding specifically to its catalytic site. It has been shown to inhibit AChE activity in human red blood cells, purified calf forebrain, and purified octopus brain with Ki values of 0.2, 0.2, and 0.4 μM, respectively. Edrophonium is often used as part of a battery of pharmacological tests to confirm a diagnosis of the autoimmune neuromuscular junction disorder, myasthenia gravis.
- DefinitionChEBI: The chloride salt of edrophonium. A reversible inhibitor of cholinesterase with a rapid onset (30-60 seconds after injection) but a short duration of action (5-15 minutes), it is used in myasthenia gravis both diagnostically and to distinguish between unde - or over-treatment with other anticholinesterases. It has also been used for the reversal of neuromuscular blockade in anaesthesia, and for the management of poisoning due to tetrodotoxin, a neuromuscular blocking toxin found in puffer fish and other mari e animals.
- brand nameEnlon (Baxter Healthcare); Reversol (Organon); Tensilon (Valeant).
- General DescriptionEdrophonium chloride,ethyl(m-hydroxyphenyl)dimethylammonium chloride(Tensilon), is a reversible anticholinesterase agent. It isbitter and very soluble in water and alcohol. Edrophoniumchloride injection has a pH of 5.2 to 5.5. On parenteral administration,edrophonium has a more rapid onset andshorter duration of action than neostigmine, pyridostigmine,or ambenonium. It is a specific anticurare agent andacts within 1 minute to alleviate overdose of d-tubocurarine,dimethyl d-tubocurarine, or gallamine triethiodide.
- Clinical UseEdrophonium Chloride is also used to terminate the action of any one ofthese drugs when the physician so desires. It is of no value,however, in terminating the action of the depolarizing (i.e.,noncompetitive) blocking agents, such as decamethoniumand succinylcholine. In addition to inhibiting AChE, edrophoniumchloride has a direct cholinomimetic effect onskeletal muscle, which is greater than that of most otheranticholinesterase drugs.
- Veterinary Drugs and TreatmentsThe primary use for edrophonium is in the diagnosis of myasthenia gravis. It can also be used for the reversal of nondepolarizing agents (e.g., vecuronium, pancuronium, metocurine, atracurium, gallamine or tubocurarine). Because of its short duration of action, its clinical usefulness for this indication is questionable as longer acting drugs such as neostigmine or pyridostigmine may be more useful. Edrophonium, in a controlled intensive care-type setting, may also be useful in the diagnosis and treatment of some supraventricular arrhythmias, particularly when other more traditional treatments are ineffective.
- Ethyl acetate N,N-Dimethylaniline ISOXADIFEN-ETHYL Diethyl ether Potassium chloride CHLOROPHOSPHONAZO III 2-Methyl-3-nitroaniline Aluminum chlorohydrate 6-Ethyl-o-toluidine CHLORIDE STANDARD N,N-Dimethyl-1,4-phenylenediamine Thionyl chloride N,N-Diethylaniline 3-Aminophenol Trinexapac-ethyl Choline chloride Methylene Chloride Ethylparaben
- Company Name:REBO Biochemical Technology Limited Gold
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801
- Company Name:Chemsky（shanghai）International Co.,Ltd.
- Company Name:Chemsky (shanghai) International Co.,Ltd