N-Iodosuccinimide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:202-206 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:249.6±23.0 °C(Predicted)
- Density 2,245 g/cm3
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility Soluble in dioxane, tetrahydrfuran and acetonitrile. Insoluble in ether and carbon tetrachloride.
- form Crystalline Powder
- color White-yellow to brown
- Water Solubility decomposes
- Sensitive Moisture Sensitive
- Merck 14,5045
- BRN 113917
- CAS DataBase Reference516-12-1(CAS DataBase Reference)
N-Iodosuccinimide Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertieswhite-yellow to brown crystalline powder
- UsesN-Iodosuccinimide is a iodo substituted succinimide that is used as an iodinating agent in chemical synthesis.
- UsesIodination of ketones and aldehydes.
Highly substituted iodobenzenes prepared via an efficient 2-step process from 1,6-diynes.
Used with TFA to chemoselectively hydrolyze thioglycosides to 1-hydroxyglycosides.
Synthesis of vinyl sulfones from olefins and benzenesulfinic acid.
- DefinitionChEBI: A five-membered cyclic dicarboximide compound having an iodo substituent on the nitrogen atom.
- PreparationTo a solution of 39.2g of succinimide in 1200ml of boiling water was added 51.0g of freshly precipitated silver oxide, the mixture was filtered and the silver salt was allowed to crystallize. Filtration and washing with cold water furnished 45.0g of the silver salt of succinimide suitable for the iodination step.
The finely powdered salt (49.5g) was added in portions with stirring to a solution of 50.8g of iodine in 300ml of acetone, the temperature being maintained at 5-10°C. After decolorization (30 min.), the silver iodide was filtered, the solvent was removed under reduced pressure at room temperature and the residue was washed with ether, yielding 43g of N-iodosuccinimide with mp 189-191°C. An analytical sample (85% recovery) was obtained by dissolving in the minimum quantity of hot dioxane and precipitating with carbon tetrachloride; colorless needles, mp 200-201°C.
Ref: JACS 75, 3493 (1953)
- ReactionsN-Iodosuccinimide (NIS) is an iodinating agent that is used for various electrophilic iodinations and as source for iodine in radical reactions.
N-Iodosuccinimide is the least reactive of the N-haloamides in aromatic substitution. N-Iodosuccinimide does not act as an iodinating agent in pure dimethyl sulfoxide or N-ethylacetamide. On the other hand, butyl disulfide and a number of other sulfur-containing compounds are effective catalysts at low concentration for the iodination of guanosine derivatives using N-iodosuccinimide. This catalytic effect is observed when dimethyl sulfoxide is used as the solvent,but not when N-ethylacetamide is used.
- Synthesis Reference(s)Journal of the American Chemical Society, 75, p. 3493, 1953 DOI: 10.1021/ja01110a055
Organic Syntheses, Coll. Vol. 5, p. 663, 1973
Tetrahedron Letters, 25, p. 233, 1984 DOI: 10.1016/S0040-4039(00)99848-4
- Purification MethodsCrystallise it from dioxane/CCl4. It iodinates arenes in triflic acid. [Olah et al J Org Chem 58 3194 1993, Beilstein 21/9 V 544.]
N-Iodosuccinimide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Company Name:NANJING RUIJIE BIOTECHNOLOGY CO,LTD. Gold
- Tel:13905141307 025-52126580-
- Company Name:Weifang luze new material co., ltd Gold
- Company Name:ShangHai Zexin Chemical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:15901897992 021-60136491-
- Company Name:Shanghai Witofly Chemical Co. ,Ltd. Gold
- Tel:021-50630626 021-50683728-
- Company Name:Beijing Xinze Pharmaceutical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:13121768631 010-61393740
- Mar 2，2021