Meglumine Chemical Properties
- Melting point:129-131.5 °C (lit.)
- alpha -16.5 º (c=10, H2O, on dry sub)
- Boiling point:331.88°C (rough estimate)
- Density 1.2669 (rough estimate)
- RTECS LZ4295770
- refractive index -16.5 ° (C=2, H2O)
- storage temp. 2-8°C
- solubility H2O: 0.1 g/mL, clear, colorless
- pkapKa 9.39(H2O,t =30.0,I=0.05N2)(Approximate)
- form Crystalline Powder
- color White to almost white
- PH11 (10g/l, H2O, 20℃)
- optical activity[α]20/D 16.5±0.5°, c = 2% in H2O
- Water Solubility 100 g/100 mL (25 ºC)
- Sensitive Air Sensitive & Hygroscopic
- Merck 14,6078
- BRN 385906
- NIST Chemistry ReferenceN-methylglucamine(6284-40-8)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemMeglumine (6284-40-8)
Meglumine Usage And Synthesis
- Chemical Propertieswhite to almost white crystalline powder
- Chemical PropertiesMeglumine occurs as a white to slightly yellow-colored crystalline powder; it is odorless or with a slight odor.
- Usesexcipient in cosmetics and X-ray contrast media
- UsesN-Methyl-D-glucamine is used in conjunction with iodinated organic compounds in contrast media viz. diatrizoate meglumine and iodipamide meglumine. It is useful in ion-exchange resins to chelate boron ions selectively. It is also used as an excipient in pharmaceuticals, in cosmetics and X-ray contrast media. It is also employed in the synthesis of surface active agents, pharmaceuticals and dyes.
- Production MethodsMeglumine is prepared by the imination of glucose and monomethylamine, in an alcoholic solution, followed by catalytic hydrogenation.
- DefinitionChEBI: A hexosamine that is D-glucitol in which the hydroxy group at position 1 is substituted by the nitrogen of a methylamino group. A crystalline base, it is used in preparing salts of certain acids for use as diagnostic radiopaque media, whi e its antimonate is used as an antiprotozoal in the treatment of leishmaniasis.
- brand nameRenovue (Bracco).
- General DescriptionPharmaceutical secondary standards for application in quality control, provide pharma laboratories and manufacturers with a convenient and cost-effective alternative to the preparation of in-house working standards.
Meglumine is a glucose-derived secondary amine which is widely used as an excipient in pharmaceutical formulations.
- Pharmaceutical ApplicationsMeglumine is an organic base used as a pH-adjusting agent and solubilizing agent, primarily in the preparation of soluble salts of iodinated organic acids used as X-ray contrast media.
- SafetyMeglumine is widely used in parenteral pharmaceutical formulations
and is generally regarded as a nontoxic material at the levels
usually employed as an excipient.
LD50 (mouse, IP): 1.68 g/kg
- storageMeglumine does not polymerize or dehydrate unless heated above
150°C for prolonged periods.
The bulk material should be stored in a well-closed container in a cool, dry place. Meglumine should not be stored in aluminum containers since it reacts to evolve hydrogen gas; it discolors if stored in containers made from copper or copper alloys. Stainless steel containers are recommended.
- Purification MethodsCrystallise N-methyl-D(-)-glucamine from MeOH. Its solubility in H2O is 10%. [Karrer & Herkenrath Helv Chim Acta 20 83 1957 also for other N-alkyl derivatives, Beilstein 4 IV 1914.]
- IncompatibilitiesIncompatible with aluminum, copper, mineral acids, and oxidizing materials. Differential scanning calorimetry studies suggest meglumine is incompatible with glipizide.
- Regulatory StatusIncluded in the FDA Inactive Ingredients Database (injections; oral tablets). Included in parenteral medicines licensed in the UK.
Meglumine Preparation Products And Raw materials
meglumine-gadolinium-edt FLUNIXIN MEGLUMINE IMP. C (EP): ETHYL 2-CHLOROPYRIDINE-3-CARBOXYLATE N-Methyl-D-Glucamine(Meglumine) gadoterate meglumine losulamide meglumine FLUNIXIN MEGLUMINE SALT,FLUNIXINE MEGLUMINE SALT,FLUNIXIN MEGLUMINE MEGLUMINE - REFERENCE SPECTRUM meglumine cyclic adenylate MEGLUMINE DIATRIAZOATE Flumixin meglumine Diatrizoate meglumine (USP),MEGLUMINE DIATRIZOATE,DIATRIZOATE MEGLUMINE,diatrizoic acid meglumine salt sulfalene meglumine gadolinium DOTA meglumine Flunixin meglumine iodipamide meglumine salt,meglumine iodipamide iodoxamic acid meglumine salt meglumine ioserinate N-METHYL GLUCAMINE ANTIMONIATE / MEGLUMINE ANTIMONIATE
- Company Name:Shanghai changwei industrial development co., LTD Gold
- Tel:13262956501 13262956501
- Company Name:Zhengzhou Yuanli Biological Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18339906974 0371-67897870-
- Company Name:Wuhan Huajiu Pharmaceutical Technology Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18062681621 027-59225746-
- Company Name:Hubei XinghengKang Chemical Technology Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18162384755 027-88878869-
- Company Name:Hubei Lingyan Biotechnology Co., Ltd Gold
- Tel:13297025796 027-59304846-