ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > API > Urinary System Drugs > Other Urinary System Drugs > Finasteride
Finasteride Chemical Properties
- Melting point:253 °C
- alpha 405 -59° (c = 1 in methanol)
- Boiling point:576.6±50.0 °C(Predicted)
- Density 1.065±0.06 g/cm3(Predicted)
- storage temp. Store at RT
- solubility DMSO: 32 mg/mL, soluble
- form solid
- color white to beige
- Water Solubility insoluble
- Merck 14,4082
- CAS DataBase Reference98319-26-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry System1H-Indeno[5,4-f]quinoline-7-carboxamide, N-(1,1-dimethylethyl)-2,4a,4b,5,6,6a,7,8,9,9a,9b,10,11,11a-tetradecahydro-4a,6a-dimethyl-2-oxo-, (4aR,4bS,6aS,7S,9aS,9bS,11aR)- (98319-26-7)
Finasteride Usage And Synthesis
- Indications and UsageFinasteride is a basic drug to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostatitis, a synthetic 4-nitrogen steroid hormone compound and a sex hormone drug.
It is used for benign prostatic hyperplasia, men's prostatic fat and other diseases. Finasteride is the only oral drug approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat male pattern baldness.
- Mechanisms of ActionFinasteride can selectively inhibit 5α-reductase, changing the conversion process of testosterone into 5α dihydrotestosterone (DHT), decreasing androgen levels in prostate cells, and prostate-specific antigens in serum, decreasing prostate swelling, and increasing urine flow rate, thereby alleviating the symptoms of prostatic hyperplasia. It acts by selectively blocking androgen stimulation of the prostate, but affects sexual function very rarely. Meanwhile, due to blocking of testosterone conversion and reduced synthesis of dihydrotestosterone, it can reduce dihydrotestosterone levels in the serum and scalp hair follicles, recovering the function of previously inhibited hair follicles, promoting hair growth and preventing loss.
- DescriptionFinasteride, a novel 4-azasteroid, is a breakthrough in the treatment and control of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Mechanistically, it inhibits the prostatic-specific enzyme 5-alpha reductase, thereby decreasing the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone. It is reportedly effective in reducing urinary symptoms and prostatic volume and increasing maximal urinary flow rate. Finasteride is also being investigated as a treatment for prostatic cancer.
- Chemical PropertiesOff-White Crystalline Powder
- OriginatorMerck (U.S.A.)
- UsesInhibitor of 5a-reductase, the enzyme which converts testosterone to the more potent androgen, 5a-dihydrotestosterone. Antialopecia agent
- UsesInhibitor of 5α-reductase, the enzyme which converts testosterone to the more potent androgen, 5α-dihydrotestosterone. Antialopecia agent.
- Usesanti-androgen, alpha-reductase inhibitor
- UsesTreatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia and androgenetic alopecia
- DefinitionChEBI: An aza-steroid that is a synthetic drug for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- IndicationsFinasteride (Proscar) is a 5-reductase inhibitor that blocks the conversion of testosterone to DHT in target tissues. Since DHT is the major intracellular androgen in the prostate, finasteride is effective in suppressing DHT stimulation of prostatic growth and secretory function without markedly affecting libido. It is approved for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Although there is usually some regression in the size of the prostate gland following administration of finasteride, clinical response may take 6 to 12 months. If the obstructive symptoms are severe, there is often not enough time to allow this compound to work.The principal adverse effects of finasteride are impotence, decreased libido, and decreased volume of ejaculate. The compound is generally well tolerated in men.
- brand nameProscar
- Biological ActivityAntiandrogen that inhibits type II 5 α reductase (IC 50 = 65 nM). Suppresses the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone. Reduces prostatic dihydrotestosterone levels and prostate size in vivo . Orally active.
- Veterinary Drugs and TreatmentsFinasteride may be useful in treating the benign prostatic hypertrophy
in canine patients. Because of the drug’s relative expense and
the long duration of therapy required to see a response, its usefulness
may be limited in veterinary medicine.
It may also be useful in the adjunctive treatment of adrenal disease in ferrets.
Finasteride Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Company Name:Shanghai Norky Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Guangzhou Kafen Biotech Co.,Ltd Gold
- Tel:18029243487 QQ：2355327168
- Company Name:Wuhan DKY Technology Co.,Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18007166089 27-81302488-
- Company Name:Hubei xin embellish DE chemical co., LTD Gold
- Company Name:Shaanxi Pioneer Biotech Co., Ltd. Gold
- Tel:18202932191 029-84385017-8005