ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Rare Earth Metals Oxides > Platinum dioxide
Platinum dioxide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:450 °C (lit.)
- Density 10.2
- RTECS TP2506020
- storage temp. Inert atmosphere,2-8°C
- form crystalline
- color Dark brown
- Water Solubility Soluble in caustic potash solution. Insoluble in water, acid, aquaregia.
- Merck 14,7527
- Stability:Contact with combustible material may cause fire. Incompatible with organic materials, powdered metals.
- CAS DataBase Reference1314-15-4(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry ReferencePlatinum dioxide(1314-15-4)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemPlatinum oxide (PtO2) (1314-15-4)
Platinum dioxide Usage And Synthesis
- Product FeaturesPlatinum oxide whose chemical formula is PtO2 is used as Adams catalyst in organic synthesis. Its molecular weight is 227.03. It is brown-black powder or black solid; the melting point of it is 450 ℃ and the relative density is 10.2. It doesn’t dissolve in water, concentrated acid and aqua regia. It will be decomposed into oxygen and platinum when heated to 500 ℃. It can be reduced by hydrogen or carbon monoxide. It can be dissolved to generate platinum oxide (Ⅱ) when heated in sulfurous acid. There are a variety of hydrates of platinum oxide, such as dihydrate and trihydrate which is difficult to dissolve in sulfuric acid or nitric acid but soluble in hydrochloric acid or sodium hydroxide solution, and monohydrate insoluble in hydrochloric acid, or even aqua regia. PtO2 powder can be prepared generally from the melting chloroplatinic acid and sodium nitrate at about 500~550 ° C followed by the dissolution of the remaining nitrate in water and filtration. The trihydrate can be obtained when the yellow hexahydroxy platinic acid precipitate is heated black from brown, which is obtained after the boiling and cooling of the mixture of hexachloroplatinic acid and excess 2mol/L sodium hydroxide, followed by the neutralization of excess base. The trihydrate dried in sulfuric acid in a desiccator will generate dihydrate, which is then heated to 100 ° C to produce a monohydrate which is very difficult to dehydrate. Platinum oxide is widely used as a hydrogenation catalyst in organic synthesis (refer to catalytic hydrogenation reaction). However latinum black generated from the hydrogen reduction of platinum dioxide in the reaction acts as the actual catalyst.
- Platinum OxidePlatinum Oxide, or Platinum Dioxide, is a highly insoluble thermally stable Platinum source suitable for glass, optic and ceramic applications. Platinum oxide is a dark brown powder also known as Adam's Catalyst; it only becomes an active catalyst with exposure to Hydrogen. Oxide compounds are not conductive to electricity. However, certain perovskite structured oxides are electronically conductive finding application in the cathode of solid oxide fuel cells and oxygen generation systems. They are compounds containing at least one oxygen anion and one metallic cation. High Purity (99.999%) Platinum Oxide (PtO2) PowderThey are typically insoluble in aqueous solutions (water) and extremely stable making them useful in ceramic structures as simple as producing clay bowls to advanced electronics and in light weight structural components in aerospace and electrochemical applications such as fuel cells in which they exhibit ionic conductivity. Metal oxide compounds are basic anhydrides and can therefore react with acids and with strong reducing agents in redox reactions. Platinum Oxide is also available in pellets, pieces, powder, sputtering targets, tablets, and nanopowder (from American Elements'nanoscale production facilities). Platinum Oxide is generally immediately available in most volumes. Ultra high purity and high purity compositions improve both optical quality and usefulness as scientific standards. Nanoscale elemental powders and suspensions, as alternative high surface area forms, may be considered.
- Uses▼▲IndustryApplicationRole/benefitHydrogenationReduction of alkynes to alkenesCatalyst/ In the presence of H2，PtO2 can be reduced to Pt black which is the active formHydrogenation of nitro compounds to aminesHydrogenation of ketonesThe removal of phenyl groups attached to a heteroatomReduction of aromatic ringDehydrogenationDehydrogenation of 1,4-diketone to pyridazineOxidationOxidation of alcohols to carbonyl compoundsOthersResistanceLow resistance rangeHydrogen absorbing materialExcellent hydrogen absorbing capacityThick film circuit and electronic componentInsoluble in aqueous solutions (water) and extremely stableSolid oxide fuel cells and oxygen generation systemsCathode/certain perovskite structured oxides are electronically conductive
- Chemical Propertiessolid
- UsesAs catalyst in hydrogenations. The actual catalyst is platinum black which is formed in situ by reduction of the PtO2 by the hydrogen used for the hydrogenation. Especially useful for reduction at room tempereture and hydrogen pressures up to 4 atmospheres. Suitable for the reduction of double and triple bonds, aromatic nuclei, carbonyl groups, nitro groups, and nitriles.
- Production MethodsPtO2 is obtained by reduction in chloroplatinic acid with formaldehyde or by fusing chloroplatinic acid with sodium nitrate.
Platinum dioxide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Preparation Products(2-METHOXY-1-METHYL-ETHYL)-HYDRAZINE5-(BENZYLOXY)-1H-PYRROLO[3,2-B]PYRIDINE-2-CARBALDEHYDE4-BROMO-2-(TRIFLUOROMETHYL)-5-METHOXYPYRIDINEFinasteride2-(2,3-DIHYDRO-1BENZENESULFONYL-PYRROLO[2,3-B]PYRIDIN-3-YL)ETHANAMINE2,5-Diaminopyrimidine1-Methyl-4-(methylamino)piperidine(1,3-DIMETHYL-BUTYL)-HYDRAZINE(1,2-DIMETHYL-PROPYL)-HYDRAZINE
- Rhodium Platinum nitrate Carboplatin Platinum dichloride Platinum tetrachloride Rutile Thiourea dioxide Quartz Bismuth trioxide Chlorine dioxide Platinum Platinum dioxide POTASSIUM BIS(OXALATO)PLATINATE DIHYDRATE PLATINUM OXIDE (67.2.6) PLATINUM (IV) OXIDE HYDRATE (67.2.6) bis(triphenylphosphine)platinum(IV) oxide Tetraammineplatinum dihydroxide Dihydrogen hexahydroxyplatinate
Platinum dioxide SupplierMore
- Company Name:Shaanxi Rock New Materials Co., Ltd. Gold
- Products Intro:Product Name:platinuM(IV) dioxide
- Company Name:Adamas Reagent, Ltd. Gold
- Products Intro:Product Name:Platinum Dioxide
- Company Name:Sinopharm Chemical Reagent Co,Ltd. Gold
- Products Intro:Product Name:PlatinuM(Ⅳ) oxide trihydrate
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Products Intro:Product Name:Platinum(IV) oxide, 83% Pt
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Products Intro:Product Name:PlatinuM(IV) Oxide
Purity:>85.0%(W) Package:200Mg Remarks:P1720