ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Inorganic chemistry > Inorganic salts > Rare Earth Metals Oxides > Holmium Oxide
Holmium Oxide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:>100 °C(lit.)
- Density 1.0966 g/mL at 25 °C
- storage temp. no restrictions.
- form nanopowder
- color Light yellow-orange to beige
- Specific Gravity8.36
- Water Solubility Insoluble in water. Soluble in perchloric acids.
- Merck 14,4727
- Stability:Stable, but may be air or moisture sensitive. Incompatible with strong acids.
- CAS DataBase Reference12055-62-8(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemHolmium oxide (Ho2O3) (12055-62-8)
Holmium Oxide Usage And Synthesis
- DescriptionHolmium oxide occurs in nature, usually associated with small quantities of other rare-earth oxides. Commercial applications of this compound have not been explored fully. It is used in refractories and as a catalyst. Characteristic spectral emission lines of holmium oxide glass are used to calibrate spectrophotometers.
- Chemical PropertiesHolmium oxide (Ho2O3), also known as Holmia, is a light yellow powder that is one of the most paramagnetic substances known.
Holmium oxide glass has been used as a wavelength standard for over four decades. It has a number of desirable features that have made it a commonly used wavelength standard. It does not induce a slit positioning error as atomic emission lamps may. It is also compact, easy to use, and most importantly, stable over long periods of time.the use of filters made of holmium oxide glass allows the calibration of wavelength for a spectrophotometer over a broad range.
- UsesHolmium(III) oxide acts as colorants which is used for cubic zirconia and glass, as a calibration standard for optical spectrophotometers, as a specialty catalyst, phosphor and a laser material.
Holmium Oxide, also called Holmia, has specialized uses in ceramics, glass, phosphors and metal halide lamp, and dopant to garnet laser. Holmium can absorb fission-bred neutrons, it is also used in nuclear reactors to keep atomic chain reaction from running out of control. Holmium Oxide is one of the colorants used for cubic zirconia and glass, providing yellow or red coloring.
It is also used in Yttrium-Aluminum-Garnet (YAG) and Yttrium-Lanthanum-Fluoride (YLF) solid-state lasers found in microwave equipment (which are in turn found in a variety of medical and dental settings).
- PreparationHolmium oxide is prepared by thermal decomposition of carbonate, oxalate, hydroxide, nitrate, sulfate, or any oxo salt of holmium:
Ho2(CO3)3 →Ho2O3 + 3CO2
Ho2(SO4)3 →Ho2O3 + 3SO3
The oxide may be obtained by direct combination of elements at elevated temperatures. The element in massive form, however, reacts slowly at high temperatures.
- Chemical Propertiesslightly beige solid
- Physical propertiesYellow cubic crystal; density 8.41 g.cm3; melts at 2,415°C; insoluble in water; dissolves in acids (with reactions).
- UsesRefractories, special catalyst.
Holmium Oxide Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Raw materialsHolmium(III) nitrate pentahydrate
- Preparation ProductsDi-n-butyl etherNitrogen phosphorus potassium mixed fertilizernaphtha steam reforming catalystsEthyl lactate primary natural gas steam reforming catalystsmedium temperature Shift catalystsY type molecular sievemedium(high)temperature Shift catalystsNEODYMIUM CARBONATE OCTAHYDRATEEthyl L(-)-lactatediammonium diuranium heptaoxideNickel-hydrogen batterymethanation catalystsmolecular sieve．Rare-earthsrare earth magnetic polymerRare earth naphthenatesCERIUM(III) CHLORIDE ANHYDROUSion-absorbing type rare earths orelow-aluminium molecular sieve catalytic cracking catalyst
- VANADIUM(IV) OXIDE IRON NICKEL OXIDE holmium trihydroxide HOLMIUM NITRATE Holmium(III) chloride hexahydrate HO(TMHD)3 HOLMIUM ACETATE Holmium(III) nitrate pentahydrate HOLMIUM (III) TRIFLUOROMETHANESULFONATE Holmium chloride HOLMIUM Gallium(III) oxide Zirconium dioxide Nickel(II) oxide Erbium(III) oxide Diantimony trioxide COBALT(III) OXIDE BLACK Niobium oxide
- Company Name:BeiJing Hwrk Chemicals Limted Gold
- Tel:18516978288 0757-86329057-
- Company Name:Tianjin Seventeen Element Technology Co. LTD Gold
- Tel:13611222737 400-0041117-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:3B Pharmachem (Wuhan) International Co.,Ltd.
- Tel:18930552037 821-50328103-801