ChemicalBook > Product Catalog > Organic Chemistry > Organometallic compounds > Rare-Earth Metal > Gallium(III) oxide
Gallium(III) oxide Chemical Properties
- Melting point:1740 °C
- Density 6.44 g/mL at 25 °C
- refractive index 1.92
- form Powder or Lump
- color White
- Specific Gravity6.44
- Water Solubility Soluble in acids. Insoluble in water
- Merck 14,4346
- Stability:Stable. Incompatible with magnesium.
- CAS DataBase Reference12024-21-4(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry SystemGallium trioxide (12024-21-4)
- Safety Statements 24/25
- WGK Germany 2
- RTECS LW9650000
- TSCA Yes
- HS Code 28259090
Gallium(III) oxide Usage And Synthesis
- Physical propertiesWhite crystals; exists in three crystalline modifications: alpha-, beta-, and gamma-Ga2O3; while the alpha-form is analogous to the corundum form of alumina, the beta-Ga2O3 is isomorphous with theta-alumina; alpha-form converts to beta-modification on calcination at high temperatures (600°C); gamma form is stable at low temperatures; density 6.44 g/cm3 (alpha-Ga2O3), 5.88 g/cm3 (betaGa2O3); melts at 1,725°C; soluble in most acids.
Gallium(III) oxide is used in the manufacture of gadolinium gallium garnet as a substrate in bubble domain memories; these are compact devices not requiring the storage power demanded by other memory devices. Gallium(III) oxide is starting material for the preparation of Sr2CuGaO3S, an example of a rare square pyramidal gallium.
- UsesThe compound is used in spectroscopic analysis and in preparing gallium arsenide for making semiconductors.
- PreparationGallium sesquioxide is precipitated in hydrated form upon neutralization of acidic or basic solution of gallium salt. Also, it is prepared by thermal decomposition of gallium salts. Gallium oxide hydroxide, GaOOH [20665-525] on calcinations at high temperatures yields betaGa2O3.
- ReactionsGallium sesquioxide is reduced to gallium suboxide, Ga2O [12024-20-3] by common reducing agents. Also, heating the sesquioxide with gallium metal yields gallium suboxide. Heating with magnesium reduces the oxide to elemental form in a violent reaction:
Ga2O3 + 3Mg →2Ga + 3MgO
Heating with mineral acids yields corresponding gallium salts. When heated with a mixture of hydrogen and arsenic vapors at 600°C, gallium arsenide, GaAs is produced. When heated with alkali metal oxide at 1,000°C, alkali metal gallates, such as K2Ga2O6 are formed.
- Chemical Propertieswhite odourless powder
- UsesIn semiconductors; gas sensing; catalysis. Nanostructures as blue and UV light emitters in optoelectronic device applications.
Gallium(III) oxide has been reported in applications in lasers, phosphors, and luminescent materials. Monoclinic ß-Ga2O3 is used in gas sensors and luminescent phosphors and can be applied to dielectric coatings for solar cells. This stable oxide has also shown potential for deep-ultraviolet transparent conductive oxides, and transistor applications. Thin Ga2O3 films are of commercial interest as gas sensitive materials. ß-Gallium(III) oxide is used in the production of Ga2O3-Al2O3 catalyst.
- Production MethodsGallium oxide is formed during the annealing or heating of semiconductors containing gallium in the microelectronics industry.
- General DescriptionOdorless fine white powder. Insoluble in water.
- Air & Water ReactionsInsoluble in water.
- Reactivity ProfileGALLIUM(III) OXIDE may react with acids. Heating (to 1292° F) with magnesium causes a violent reduction to metallic slate.
- Health HazardSYMPTOMS: Symptoms of exposure to GALLIUM(III) OXIDE include reduction of red blood cells and platelets, anemia, skin rash and nausea.
- Fire HazardFlash point data for GALLIUM(III) OXIDE are not available; however, GALLIUM(III) OXIDE is probably combustible.
- OSMIUM GALLIUM(III) FLUORIDE TRIS(DIMETHYLAMIDO)GALLIUM(III) 98 GALLIUM(III) IODIDE TRIETHYLGALLIUM GALLIUM PHOSPHIDE GALLIUM(III) 2,4-PENTANEDIONATE Gallium arsenide GALLIUM(III) NITRATE HYDRATE GALLIUM(III) BROMIDE GALLIUM (II) CHLORIDE GALLIUM(III) TRIFLUOROMETHANESULFONATE GALLIUM(III) CHLORIDE TRIS(2,2,6,6-TETRAMETHYL-3,5-HEPTANEDIONATO)GALLIUM(III) GALLIUM(III) SULFATE HYDRATE TRIMETHYLGALLIUM Gallium Gallium(III) oxide
- Company Name:Sinopharm Chemical Reagent Co,Ltd. Gold
- Company Name:Shanghai bike new material technology co., LTD Gold
- Tel:17317635738 021-34790086-
- Company Name:J & K SCIENTIFIC LTD.
- Tel:400-666-7788 010-82848833-
- Company Name:Meryer (Shanghai) Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tel:400-660-8290 21-61259100-
- Company Name:INTATRADE GmbH
- Tel:+49 3493/605464